Requesting lean protein ideas/recipes

Options
Wd011000
Wd011000 Posts: 19 Member
So, I am not eating enough protein according to MFP reports, which would probably explain why I often feel sooooo hungry. I don't like eggs, yogurt or cottage cheeses, and only like batter dipped and deep fried fish. No tofu. Not a big cheese eater; beans are ok but not a favorite. I've never tried quinoa and am a bit mystified and confused by it. Opinions on protein powders?--Do they make much difference in making you feel full? I like walnuts, almonds, pecans, peanut butter, etc, but they generally wreck my calorie intake and put me way over. Please tell my I'm not destined for a lifetime of chicken and turkey :/
It's frustrating to try to eat healthy when you're also a very picky eater whose list of taste/texture tolerable food is very short. I am whining, sorry. :(

Replies

• amtyrell
    amtyrell Posts: 1,449 Member
    Options
    Shrimp
    Scallops
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Tuna? Also, pork is pretty lean and very versatile. I have a few recipes if you're interested.
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    It sounds like in addition to being a picky eater, you may also get bored with certain things quickly. I am also like that. I can't stand the idea of eating a plain old grilled chicken breast. I once made this soup recipe I found online - it's like a tex mex chicken soup. Yes, it is chicken. However, it didn't turn me off because it uses shredded chicken which I find texturally more appealing. Also, I just went and bought a rotisserie chicken from my local grocery store and shredded that - easy peasy! The base is broth + Rotel + refried beans (?!) + spices (I used taco seasoning mix and ranch seasoning mix). I thought the refried beans would gross me out, but you can't feel them when you eat it. So really it's like extra hidden protein. The rest is just vegetables - green pepper, onion, corn, black beans. If you have the calories to spare, I like to add some low fat sour cream and a few Fritos for an added crunch. I have tried to find this recipe again because I liked it so much, but I couldn't. The good news is these are the ingredients and I have replicated the recipe using these ingredients. If you go the rotisserie chicken route, it's pretty fast to whip up. It also could be made in a slow cooker.
  • jennyi27
    jennyi27 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    Another idea - and again this is tex mex (can you tell it's a favorite of mine?) - is to do burrito bowls. If you haven't tried quinoa before, this would be a great way to try it because it doesn't dominate the dish. You can make whatever protein you want - chicken, beef, turkey, carnitas (I like chicken breasts, taco mix, salsa in the slow cooker, then shred the chicken) - and then chop up whatever vegetables you want (lettuce, tomato, avocado, etc). Top the cooked quinoa with the protein and veggies and enjoy. By substituting quinoa for rice, you can save yourself a lot of carbs and get more protein in.
  • Wd011000
    Wd011000 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    I know I eat like a toddler :) Nothing green save a tossed salad (basically just lettuce and cucumber drown in dressing); and salsa is as close to an actual tomato as I want to get. Honestly, other than bags of salad mix, potatoes, the occasional onion, and fresh corn when it's in season are the only reasons I ever went to the produce section of the grocery. I've always been a grazer rather than a 3 squares a day kind of eater. Problem is I graze on junk food. Salty, crunchy, and I have an M&M addiction, haha. I'd be fine with nuts and seeds if only they weren't so darn high calorie. I'll spend some time browsing quinoa and bean recipes. Maybe choosing between hunger and trying something new will be what I need to expand my food horizons.
  • Heaven4_24_7
    Heaven4_24_7 Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I cook my quinoa in vegetable broth at times - helps with flavor if you find you need a change, you can also do beef or chicken broth, but sodium is to high for me in chicken broth.
    Have you tried protein bars? Quest or something like that? Check protein amounts though before buying some are 10g, quest is much higher and there is another one, but I can't think of the name,
    Also if you try protein shakes, and don't really find it appealing - try different liquids to add ie, milk, almond milk, cashew milk, water and even try adding a 1/2-1 Cup of fruit or ice with it and blend it. That is what I do.
    Also, if you like yogurt or oatmeal, you can always add a scoop of protein mix to it, That is a quick easy way to add protein.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    If you're looking to venture into quinoa territory, I highly recommend this:

http://makingthymeforhealth.com/spinach-artichoke-quinoa-casserole/
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Wd011000 wrote: »
    So, I am not eating enough protein according to MFP reports, which would probably explain why I often feel sooooo hungry. I don't like eggs, yogurt or cottage cheeses, and only like batter dipped and deep fried fish. No tofu. Not a big cheese eater; beans are ok but not a favorite. I've never tried quinoa and am a bit mystified and confused by it. Opinions on protein powders?--Do they make much difference in making you feel full? I like walnuts, almonds, pecans, peanut butter, etc, but they generally wreck my calorie intake and put me way over. Please tell my I'm not destined for a lifetime of chicken and turkey :/
    It's frustrating to try to eat healthy when you're also a very picky eater whose list of taste/texture tolerable food is very short. I am whining, sorry. :(

My diary's open. I eat all kinds of stuff. And I love myprotein impact whey isolate. Strawberry cream kicks booty.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    Some people find protein shakes filling, I don't. But I do like protein powder to add to things like oatmeal.

Since you like peanut butter, you can try peanut butter powder. Much lower in calories. There are several on the market, PB2 is popular. Jif also makes one.

You can also try substituting some higher protein alternatives for regular breads. Look at Tumaro or Flatout wraps or Thomas Light English muffins. As a bonus, they usually have more fiber, too.

Almost forgot Kodiak Flapjack Mix! That stuff is amazing! Even higher in protein if you add in eggs, milk or yogurt (can't taste them).
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Oh, and if you like cheesecake, then there's that crazy protein cheesecake thread. It is quite yum.