How can i keep myself motivated for the gym?

Options
I am a wake up and decide to go to the gym at random type of person. I go for a few days, then stop. I feel intimated when I step inside. It's very aggravating when you know where you want to be, but always put yourself down and give up.

Replies

• anniehiver24
    anniehiver24 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    There's a few ways to get over that motivation hump .

Perhaps try going with a friend. Or making a schedule that way going to the gym can be more regular and part of your routine. What i found helpful was joining classes like Zumba or something.
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    You don't. You just make it something you do - I enjoy weight training, and go 4 times a week whether I want to or not. There are days I'd rather be on the couch being lazy.... But I go anyway.

Make it your routine. Get a routine for when you're there, and get help in feeling comfortable - training sessions with a trainer, or an experienced training partner, or Google loads of videos on technique.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    I put my gym clothes by the side of my bed and pack my work clothes in my gym bag so no random deciding to go. I try to set new little goals each time I go. A slight increase in either weight or reps. A slight increase in incline or speed. These little challenges keep me interested and push me to do a bit better each time.
  • rolenthegreat
    rolenthegreat Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I sign up for classes.
    Having a set time that I HAVE to be there is the only thing that gets me out of the house.
  • kjablinskey
    kjablinskey Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Great responses from everyone above, all I can do is second their suggestions.

Routine, packing your bag the night before, getting a gym partner or trainer to be that extra motivation to get up. Small, incremental goals (I use StrongLifts 5x5 and a yearly mud race signup with someone significantly younger than me).

Everything previous posters have already said.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    I'd love to give credit where it's due, but I can't remember where I read this a few weeks back. I'm paraphrasing.

Go to the gym. Don't do anything, just hang out for 5-10 minutes, then leave.
    Keep doing that, but either increase the time or do something for 5-10 minutes, then leave.
    Keep repeating until being there is a habit and you find yourself more comfortable at the gym.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    For me I've built it into my daily routine. If I don't go it throws my whole day off.
  • dominirican128
    dominirican128 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! Im in Orlando and i havent really met anyone that goes to the gym, if they do, they live too far.
  • dominirican128
    dominirican128 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Im definitely going to take the advice.. i just have to go, even if i dont want to. Trying to find a workout buddy is hard work!
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    I go 6 weeks a day and I go alone from years, u just need to have a specific goal and specific time and u need to know why u wanna workout ( that will keep u motivated). If u don't have goals u will also be like ohh I don't feel like going and bla bla but if u have goal like summer is coming in 2 months so I need to lose so and so amount of weight and u make a plan and go for it. Bare in mind if some days u don't feel like going u still go and workout (Bad workout is a workout that never happened). I hope this helped.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I have a program...it tells me when I need to be there...I go and do my thing. It's only 3x per week which isn't a huge deal. Then I can spend the rest of the days in the week on my bike.
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    I think having a set schedule is really important. You can easily talk yourself out of going if you don't have a plan.

It's also important to find what you love doing. Maybe lifting weights or going on a treadmill aren't for you. Try group classes or look for a program that interests you. If you want to learn more about the gym you might benefit from a personal trainer as well.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I've felt the same as you, and have done the same. When I'd start out after a hiatus, I'd just force myself to go. It's rough for like 2 weeks, then it becomes routine. Now, I love going. I look forward to my workouts. I plan them ahead of time, set my coffee maker to go off the time I need to be waking up, and go.

Find something you can look forward to. If you forever and will always hate going to the gym, set your focus to your goals to keep you motivated.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    What do you do at the gym?
  • MissDeeDee78
    MissDeeDee78 Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    Ditto on the signing up for classes, you have a set time, make some new friends and hopefully feel accountable for missing classes esp. if you have to pay extra.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,669 Member
    Options
    Habitual behavior will help to override lack of motivation. You do it as a routine. Just like getting up in the morning and getting ready for work or whatever someone does because they just have to.
    It's NEVER going to be the same in the gym everyday. Some days, I just don't feel like working out, but do anyway. Some days I'm jacked. But I'm CONSISTENT.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    What I always tell myself is 'Don't wait until you feel like it...just do it'. I'm not a morning exerciser though. I take workout clothes with me to work and head to workout pretty much every day...step aerobics, jogging, spin, Zumba, sculpt. I mix it up to keep boredom at bay. Just make it happen and after a while it becomes routine. This time of year fitness centers and/or dance studios have fantastic class deals on Groupon. You can score 10-20 classes for really cheap. I don't have a gym membership though so I'm always on the lookout for various places to try a new class.
  • danigirl1011
    danigirl1011 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I am feeling kind of the same way lately too! I am starting back over after quite a hiatus and hate the gym i go to now. Part of my problem is with my current weight and stamina i can really only do the treadmill most days and it gets BORING! I think you should try what some others have said and see if you can get on a class schedule you like. It will keep you consistent and when i used to go to Zumba i used to be able to barely stand waiting for my favorite teacher to have another class. Might make you want to go more? Maybe trying some at home stuff as well?
  • kevinf2380
    kevinf2380 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    I feel the same way you do about the gym. What has helped me is looking at it like I'm going to a job. I don't go to work to make friends. Of course, I'll make them if the opportunity arises but it's not the main reason I'm there. I take that same philosophy to the gym the only interactions I have with someone is asking if they are done with that equipment. People might get the wrong impression about my personality but again I'm there for myself not for other people's assumptions.
  • happyauntie2015
    happyauntie2015 Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Boy I understand how you feel. That was me when I first started out and again around the new year! We can make as many excuses as we can come up with but at the end of the day we are only going to get back what we put in! Something clicked for me 1 day... I'm in control of me and of my body. I'm the only 1 that can change me and I know that I have to exercise. Try making a visit to the gym like any other appointment the more you go the easier it gets it's like second nature. You can do this and you are worth it!