Messing up on weekends- every weekend

Replies

• nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    If you eat less on weekdays can you compensate for a weekend splurge or does that end up messing up your metabolism?
  • DaniG_1987
    DaniG_1987 Posts: 40 Member
    As others have said make a grocery list and stick to it, don't even bother going down the aisles that don't have the food you are looking for. I also pop some headphones in and play some of my gym work out music when I'm grocery shopping by myself. It helps me to focus on getting in and out, makes me walk with a little more pep in my step, and probably sub-consciously reminds me of my goals and the hard work I've been putting in and how cheez-its are not worth ruining that.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    nevadavis1 wrote: »
    If you eat less on weekdays can you compensate for a weekend splurge or does that end up messing up your metabolism?

No eating more or less does won't "mess up" your metabolism. Your metabolism will always slow as you lose weight -that is normal. But it's something that happens with weight loss, over time. It's NOT something that responds to a splurge or eating less in a week. It's a response to your weight/body mass. Definitely nothing to be worried about.
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    1) I pre-log on Friday afternoon what I mean to eat on Saturday and work in some treats that fit my calories.
    2) My weekly weigh-in is Sunday morning.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    cnave99 wrote: »
    I do eat before I go, so that is one positive.

You're right though- this is all me. I know what happens, I'm old enough to realize I'm sabotaging myself. I have to make it a priority to make a list. And stick to it.
    Try cutting back on the binge food more gradually. For example, instead of buying chips, beer, ice cream and pizza, eliminate one item then get used to that and eliminate one more a week or two later. Or buy a small package of chips instead of a huge one, a small box of ice cream or pizza, a single beer rather than a case, or whatever, you get the idea. Eventually your taste will change, as well as your desire to manage your calories, and it will become easier to stay in control. Remember to buy something with fewer cals to substitute in place of the binge food. You'll need to experiment to learn the modifications that work best for you.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    edited April 2017
    I can not get myself together. I do great all week. Then Saturday morning while I'm food shopping I'll buy stuff that I know I can't eat in moderation. Then I eat it all before Monday. I keep losing and gaining the same three pounds.

I'm getting no where. But it's a cycle that I repeat every freaking week. Any advice welcome.

Are you logging your weekend binges?

As others have suggested, shop with a firm grocery list and a full stomach.
  • hallehoo22
    hallehoo22 Posts: 3 Member
    I binge on the weekends too but my problem is eating out, rather than buying bad food at the store. But I usually find it easier to buy better foods at the grocery store if I'm not hungry. Maybe try eating a meal before going to the store? Or if you can get some of the unhealthy things in single servings? I was really craving pop tarts yesterday so I got the small package that just comes with two, rather than buying the whole box.

Also, i don't know if anyone has Aldi around them? It's an off brand store so their stuff is cheaper but it's also more limited which I think is helpful in avoiding junk food. They don't have single aisles devoted to chips and cookies, etc. So it's easier to avoid temptation.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    hallehoo22 wrote: »
    I binge on the weekends too but my problem is eating out, rather than buying bad food at the store. But I usually find it easier to buy better foods at the grocery store if I'm not hungry. Maybe try eating a meal before going to the store? Or if you can get some of the unhealthy things in single servings? I was really craving pop tarts yesterday so I got the small package that just comes with two, rather than buying the whole box.

Also, i don't know if anyone has Aldi around them? It's an off brand store so their stuff is cheaper but it's also more limited which I think is helpful in avoiding junk food. They don't have single aisles devoted to chips and cookies, etc. So it's easier to avoid temptation.

They are actually one of the worst for me when it comes to tempting snacks. So many very cheap delicious gourmet snacks. (hell.. You are face to face with a large rack of amazing Belgian chocolate the moment you walk in the door. And excellent cookies for cheap. And cheap brie, camembert,...
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    edited April 2017
    I can not get myself together. I do great all week. Then Saturday morning while I'm food shopping I'll buy stuff that I know I can't eat in moderation. Then I eat it all before Monday. I keep losing and gaining the same three pounds.

I'm getting no where. But it's a cycle that I repeat every freaking week. Any advice welcome.

You have the control, the choice is yours. If are having trouble moderating, then it might be time to let that food go for awhile until you can get control over it.

Then, when you're doing well with moderation, buy one of those snacks. Open bag, put bowl on scale, put portion in bowl, weigh, put bag away and enjoy the portion. No matter how hard it gets, don't go back to that bag.

Food has no power over you. :)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    I'll echo those who say that meal planning and grocery lists are key. I'll also add this:

1) Pre-log your daily food so that you'll see ahead of time what you do and don't have room for. Include a treat, but not a trigger food. I can stop at one piece of individually wrapped dark chocolate, but will eat a large bar in one sitting if that's what I bring home. I can't moderate cheese crackers, so I never buy them.

2) I built a map of my usual grocery store in Excel, and marked in the aisle numbers and contents of interest to me. Yes, I looked like a weirdo when I went to the store and took notes, but I only had to do it once. I print it out each week and write my grocery items onto it. I don't go down extra aisles, I don't scan the shelves randomly and get distracted by treats, and I finish up much faster.

3) Online shopping could work as well, but I'm picky about produce and they always get it wrong. Maybe online shopping monthly for most things, but then weekly visits to only the produce, meat, and dairy sections would work. Again, meticulous planning would be necessary.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    I do eat before I go, so that is one positive.

You're right though- this is all me. I know what happens, I'm old enough to realize I'm sabotaging myself. I have to make it a priority to make a list. And stick to it.

Can you take someone with you? This will do 2 things ; 1) They can tell you not to buy something that will trigger you and 2) You can send them off to get things on your list so you will spend less time at the store.

Also, if you really want a treat on the weekend, buy single serving packages and enjoy!
  • joaniebalonie088
    joaniebalonie088 Posts: 93 Member
    I am struggling similarly! For me it is the beer I drink while watching sports, followed by wanting to order that pizza to go with it ;)

This has been a cycle for me almost every week, and while I haven't completely turned it around I have done some great things to help minimize the damage and reduce the size of the calorie bomb.

For one thing, I make sure I am doing something active first thing after I get up in the morning. If I spend the morning laying in bed I will probably end up over my calorie goal somehow.

I also keep my wallet/credit card in my car in the garage, so that I actively have to go get it if I am ordering pizza or something. This provides an extra roadblock to make me think about what I am doing, and to make sure that it is really something I want.

Finally, I have been using Happy Scale to track my weight. I see a definite stall over the last 6 weeks, despite being on point during the week and having the most consistent month ever at that gym! To be hitting my marks so well and to see a stall really makes me look at the damage I am doing with just a few poor choices.
  • xmichaelyx
    xmichaelyx Posts: 883 Member
    I eat very low during the week specifically so that I can eat whatever I want on the weekends. No guilt.
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    The thing that helps me the most is to log it'll make you think instead of mindlessly grazing on the stuff in your fridge, don't shove your head in the sand even if you're over and prelog if you can, I also try to bank a few exercise cals for the weekend. Every weekend I am slightly over maintenance cals but I'm still losing (slowly) because I just try to work it in over the week. Basically 5 days a week I go for a 500 cal deficit, weekends I aim for maintenance.

The list idea is a great idea, and just aim to be in and out of the shop ASAP, hit the aisles you need and no browsing. Good luck.
  • I'm still trying to learn how to lose weight and be healthy and balanced. I wonder if you could allow yourself fewer calories on week days and more calories on weekends? Is there a way you could plan ahead to shift your "messing up" into a "part of the plan"? Then if you bought your weekend food ahead of time maybe that could help as well. Could you freeze half of the packages of cheat foods for the following weekend to avoid the temptation to finish it all? You can do this. You can. :)
  • cnave99
    cnave99 Posts: 63 Member

Finally, I have been using Happy Scale to track my weight. I see a definite stall over the last 6 weeks, despite being on point during the week and having the most consistent month ever at that gym! To be hitting my marks so well and to see a stall really makes me look at the damage I am doing with just a few poor choices.

I do this too. I like seeing the trends. Plus weighing everyday just feels like data now. Which takes the emotion out.

• happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Just do it :wink:
    -eat before you shop
    -look up healthier versions of your favorite recipes
    -prep ahead for the weekends - make these recipes ahead of time
    -get active, get busy

Good luck
  • pinuplove
    pinuplove Posts: 12,874 Member
    Honestly, you know you have a problem. You've identified the behaviour that enables to problem. All that remains is to change your behaviour. How to go about accomplishing that is entirely up to you. Limit the cash you carry when shopping, bring a friend to slap your hand, shop a different store or on a different day, whatever it takes to overcome this habit of buying and eating problem foods.