Stationary Bike - What The Pedal!

Options
So I am joining a gym for their 7 day free trial (I've never used a gym before and don't know if it is for me) when my TOM is over. And the stationary bike really interests me. Mainly because I hate waking/jogging/running.
But I don't understand what the...pedal...this thing is and how it works and how it's supposed to be cardio or how this whole thing is a workout benefit.
Can someone get real detailed on all of this for me? Like are there speeds on the bike? Do you have to push hard to make the pedals go? Is it like riding a real bike?
Help!

Replies

• kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    It's just like riding a real bike. You can set the resistance to be harder to pedal.
  • nicolepburgess91
    nicolepburgess91 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    Can you adjust the seat on the ones in the gym?
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Yes, the seats can be adjusted up or down for your height.
  • HershFam5
    HershFam5 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Morning! When I first started working out, I did it at the gym on the stationary bike. Once it cooled down, I hit the real bike. The real bike was harder due to you have to really concentrate on your balance and it works your upper body.
    I didn't start changing the resistance till I could pedal for 15 minutes without hurting, then I gradually made it harder and harder. I bought a stationary bike for my house for those days I can't be outside, I'm still working the legs.
    Best of luck!!
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I could probably tell you if it was a cybex of Life Fitness, but you really should just ask the people there. I work in a fitness center and it's never a bother to help people get started. Honestly, I didn't have any experience when I started and wound up learning about machines as I was helping new members use them.

The bikes we have: you have to start pedaling to turn the machine on, and keep pedaling as you work through the settings. Then once you have the program set, or set your own resistance, and time if it asks, you just go.

ETA Oh yeah, I forgot about the spin bikes. I'm not sure about those. I'll have to learn this weekend lol
  • nicolepburgess91
    Options
    Is this good for burning calories or building muscle? Because I'm mainly trying to lose weight right now. Tightening up is good, but burning calories is my main goal.
  • MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    HershFam5 wrote: »
    Morning! When I first started working out, I did it at the gym on the stationary bike. Once it cooled down, I hit the real bike. The real bike was harder due to you have to really concentrate on your balance and it works your upper body.
    I didn't start changing the resistance till I could pedal for 15 minutes without hurting, then I gradually made it harder and harder. I bought a stationary bike for my house for those days I can't be outside, I'm still working the legs.
    Best of luck!!

I did something slightly similar to make sure I was progressing
    I set the bike to a medium resistance so I had to work but I wasn't struggling, and downloaded a (free) couch to 10k app. So when it says 'walk' I aim to cycle at 15-20 km/h speed. When it's set to 'run' I aim for >30km/h.

This way I'm not just peddling aimlessly for 10 minutes till I get bored. I listen to podcasts at the same time. Most bikes will have settings so you can look at time/speed/distance and work on those.

ETA: I chose those speeds because that's what felt comfortable, after a bit of trial and error, YMMV.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    Have you ever seen a stationary bike in person?
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Is this good for burning calories or building muscle? Because I'm mainly trying to lose weight right now. Tightening up is good, but burning calories is my main goal.

It will burn some calories, depending on how hard you ride it. Running is a more efficient way to burn, but I think it's comparable to walking (lots of variables to both, of course), and if you like it, that's important. Riding outside burns more calories normally (although so does spinning), but it's a good way to work up to either if they are not currently possible or seem intimidating. Most gyms will have multiple kinds of stationary bikes (even my office building workout room does, along with a few treadmills and some dumbbells and weight machines), and many will have spin bikes and spin classes also. Best way is just to check it out -- I promise it is extremely self-explanatory.

The ones I am familiar with have different programs, and you can do ones that are more challenging if you aren't great at pushing yourself, like hills or intervals, and pick a low number to start with and regularly move it up and/or increase time on the bike. It's also a lot easier to read when stationary biking than on a treadmill, IME.
  • nicolepburgess91
    Options
    jemhh wrote: »

No. To be entirely honest, I havent. Just pics on the internet
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    Is it like riding a real bike?

No.
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options

Ok. That gives me some context for your questions :) It sounds like people have mostly answered them but, in summary, they are similar to regular bikes except they stay in one spot. They are similar to treadmills or stairmasters in that there's often a digital readout where you can pick a program to follow or you can set your resistance level or desired workout time. There is a type of bike called an Airdyne that has two long handles that you move forward and backward, similar to those on an elliptical machine, while you pedal.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,894 Member
    Options
    So I am joining a gym for their 7 day free trial (I've never used a gym before and don't know if it is for me) when my TOM is over. And the stationary bike really interests me. Mainly because I hate waking/jogging/running.
    But I don't understand what the...pedal...this thing is and how it works and how it's supposed to be cardio or how this whole thing is a workout benefit.
    Can someone get real detailed on all of this for me? Like are there speeds on the bike? Do you have to push hard to make the pedals go? Is it like riding a real bike?
    Help!

So ... do you know what kind of stationary bikes the gym has?

It's kind of hard for us to answer questions about one when we don't know what kind it is ... because they can be different. Some gyms have the old dial tightening system to increase resistance ... some gyms have a newer system where you select the resistance you want from a screen.

And also ... if you've got a 7 day free trial, make the most of it by asking questions to the staff. That's what they are there for. Ask them to give you the grand tour and show you how to use all the equipment.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    If you've never seen an exercise bike in person, we really can't explain how it all works in a text post.

- go to youtube and search for "exercise bike review". You will likely get many very instructive videos on how they work and perhaps issues some have.

- ask your future gym to show you how to use their specific machines. Others have already said the staff are eager to show you the ropes and get you started.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I suggest something else, personally. I know that some people claim to have great burns on them, but I can give it my best and my heart rate monitor never gave me more than 230 calories burn for 1 hour. Fitbit gives me even less.

So not worth it when I can walk an hour and burn 320 calories, and my legs are way less sore afterwards too.
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    When I signed up to MFP, I added my various exercises / times and it was interesting to see that the number of calories burned was very different for each type of cardio exercise. Comparing each (brisk walking, rowing, stationary bike & cross-trainer) by entering the same timeframe into MFP, the cross-trainer (elliptical) seemingly burns most. I'm not allowed to run due to knee issues but I will sometimes go on the treadmill and do a brisk walk uphill, however whilst that exercises your legs and heart, the cross trainer also has handles so you can also do a bit of work on your upper body too. As others have suggested, start by talking to the gym team and ask them to show you how to use the equipment. To help tone up as well, do weights.
  • abovethecity
    abovethecity Posts: 42 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Riding a stationary bike is one of my main exercises and has been for the past two and a half years losing weight. I get around 500 cals burned an hour on my Fitbit charge 2 from it @ 5'2" and 157 lbs. - but I only eat half of that back. My bike says I go around 18-21 mph - not sure how true it is though - with numerous amounts of resistance.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Riding a stationary bike can be an excellent workout. It just depends on how much effort you are willing to expend. It's great for your leg muscles, and there is no impact on your joints, so it's often used for therapy in rehabs. I love them.