step counts

Options
My school is doing a fitness challenge by keeping track of how many steps we take during the day. My problem is yesterday I hiked about 4 miles carrying about 30 lbs of gear. Does anybody know how many extra steps that would be worth if any?

I have tried looking on the web, but no clear answers yet.

Thanks.

Replies

• LifesPilgrim
    LifesPilgrim Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    My school is doing a fitness challenge by keeping track of how many steps we take during the day. My problem is yesterday I hiked about 4 miles carrying about 30 lbs of gear. Does anybody know how many extra steps that would be worth if any?

I have tried looking on the web, but no clear answers yet.

Thanks.
  • fitterpam
    fitterpam Posts: 3,086 Member
    Options
    We did a step count at work last year - 10,000 steps was about 8 miles and was the target daily step count for a healthy lifestyle. I don't think the amount of weight you are carrying matters for this exercise.
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    It was like walking on the beach, the trails at this camp are sugar sand. I just find it hard to believe that it doesn't count for any extra because even the calorie counts for cross country hiking on the exercise logs is way higher than just walking.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    In terms of step counts it isn't extra, but calories burned it is
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    Thanks!!! I'll take what I can get. Everyone at the school thinks I'm crazy for hiking in the middle of nowhere anyways.:laugh:
  • heal4444
    heal4444 Posts: 709
    Options
    To measure your step stride length.

Take 10 steps. Measure this in inches. Divide this by 10. This gives you your avg step in inches.

For eg. mine is 26inches/per one step.

There are 63,360 inches in a mile. For me, there are 2437 steps in a mile.

If I hiked 4 miles, that would be 4X2437 steps =9748 steps.

Hope this helps.

Actually, I've been wearing a pedometer since beginning of January. It's great, I can wear it in my pocket, purse, anywear, even upside down, it works!! The first step to setting up a pedometer is measuring the length of one's step stride length.
  • heal4444
    Options
    To measure your step stride length.

Take 10 steps. Measure this in inches. Divide this by 10. This gives you your avg step in inches.

For eg. mine is 26inches/per one step.

There are 63,360 inches in a mile. For me, there are 2437 steps in a mile.

If I hiked 4 miles, that would be 4X2437 steps =9748 steps.

Hope this helps.

Actually, I've been wearing a pedometer since beginning of January. It's great, I can wear it in my pocket, purse, anywear, even upside down, it works!! The first step to setting up a pedometer is measuring the length of one's step stride length.
  • fitterpam
    Options
    That's a good point - I guess it would be different for everyone :blushing: now that I think about it - I was just quoting the average....LOL I need to get one that goes anywhere anytime....gonna start shopping today!
  • heal4444
    Options
    I know. I didn't know I had to measure my stride length until I got my pedometer.
    You'll really like it onc e you've got a pedometer. I really like mine. It's so convenient. I don't have to worry about only clipping it onto a belt or whatever. I can wear it in my pocket or purse. Comes with safety strap too so I don't worry about it. Counts Steps, Aerobic Steps, Distance, Cals. 7 day memory. Good luck.
  • Lily31667
    Options
    Do you have a cell phone, or ready for an upgrade? Alot of cell phones out there now have a pedometer tool that converts your steps to miles and calories burned. Pedometers aren't that expensive but, if you are like me, you don't like to be carrying alot of different little devices on you. Hope this helps.

Laura
  • LifesPilgrim
    Options
    The challenge has been a lot of fun, but now that I know about how many steps I take a day (anywhere from 5 - 10,000) how can I translate that into my activity level on this website for my goals?