Macro Percentages

Options
What does everyone use for their C/P/F percentages? If I do 50/30/20 I'm not sure that would allow me enough fat in my day. Or is it ok to go above on my fats some days if I'm under on my carbs and I'm at or below my calories?

Replies

• jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    Options
    To lose weight, you just need to stay within your calories. I, personally, view my protein and fat goals as minimums. I aim to meet them and then my remaining calories can come from either carbs or more fat or more protein. Based on that, I would say that you should not worry about days when you go over on fats as long as you are at or below your calories.

I calculate my protein as .8 grams /pound of body weight and my fat as .4 grams/pound of bodyweight. On MFP I pick whatever percent most closely aligns with the result of that calculation and then set the carbs to whatever gets me to 100%. But I mostly just keep my protein/fat numbers in my head and eyeball them as I log my food.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,391 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I calculate my macros by grams per lb of lean body mass and then convert to percentages. But ironically, I am close tot he 50/30/20 standard split.

In general, my recommendations are similar to @jemhh

Protein: .8-1g/lb of lbm
    Fat: .35-.6g/lb of lbm
    Carbs: rest
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    I go with 45%C/25%P/30%F but sometimes end up more like 40% carbs and 35% fat as more fat keeps me full. As long as I get 100g protein per day I'm happy.
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i set my protein at .8 to 1 gram of lean body mass, 20 to 30 % of your daliy calories come from fat, fill in the rest of your calories with carbs thats what works for me, you might have to make some adjustments, i would keep track of everything for about a month, if your in a surplus and your weight not going up, or if your in a defecit and your weight is not going down , then i would make small adjustments, good luck
  • fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    It depends on your goal and types of activities. If you're not an endurance athlete you can drop your carbs fairly low while you increase fat to compensate.