Harder to lose as an experienced-ish runner?

Options
Hi all,

My 1st post! I will try to keep it brief.

I have been running on and off for years, in the last year have really stuck with it. Run around 25 miles per week, gradually increasing this. My long run is 10 miles or so, got a half mara in Sept. So, I feel like I am pretty fit, my friends are impressed with my dedication! BUT...

I weigh 185 pounds, 5'5", female. Always been on the large side, highest weight 213 5 years ago. My new years resolution this year was to lose 3 stone (42 pounds), sadly so far only managed 15 pounds. I've been plateauing for about 3 months!!!

Does anyone think that as running is my only real exercise, although I do walk everyday also, it just isn't pushing my body as I am too used to it? I love running and dont do it just to lose weight so I would not give it up. Time and money are limited for other forms of exercise but maybe that's the answer!

For more info, I tried MFP's lose 1lb per week setting but it wasnt quite enough food on rest days and too much on run days! So I worked out my BMR and multiplied it by 1.55 for moderate exercise 3-5 times per week, which was just over 2500 cals. So I eat 2000 per day to aim to lose 1lb a week, though I must confess to going over a few times a month!! But doubt I'm eating too little, or am I?

Sorry for rambling, any help or advice is much appreciated!
Sarah

Replies

• Missylydia
    Missylydia Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    It's good to cross train, not just do 1 type of training as your muscles and body do get used to what you're doing, Also, throw in some strength training, grab those weights! The more toned your muscles are, the more fat they burn, doing nothing! How cool is that!?

Love your dedication btw, you are doing great!
  • TashaP2011
    TashaP2011 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    I agree with Myssylydia. Try to add some strength training and build some more muscles - might help break the plateau. There are a lot of home workouts you can do - lots of them free on the internet. Try BodyRock.tv as one example.
  • jackswall
    jackswall Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I also just used to run but found a trainer who convinced me that it is not only adding strength training (as the others have said), but also the type of running you do. Add some shorter but faster runs. Some interval training, some hill work- change it up basically. Your body just gets used to one thing! I also found that the variety keeps me from getting bored too! Good luck!
  • Missylydia
    Options
    Oooh BodyRock TV, I watched a few workouts and they're awesome! Still not done one yet though as I don't have the space at home and go to the gym anyways. But they're gooood!!
  • Missylydia
    Options
    I also just used to run but found a trainer who convinced me that it is not only adding strength training (as the others have said), but also the type of running you do. Add some shorter but faster runs. Some interval training, some hill work- change it up basically. Your body just gets used to one thing! I also found that the variety keeps me from getting bored too! Good luck!

Yeah I do HIIT and weights and dropped 2% bodyfat in about as many weeks! I'll jog at 5mph for 90 seconds then sprint for 30 seconds and carry that on for a while. Working for me so far! But to change it up a bit I'll also spend time on the bike and crosstrainer on variety modes.
  • rubytuesday87
    Options
    I do speedwork once a week, so sometimes intervals, or a tempo run, fartlek run etc. As a longer distance runner doing very short intervals wouldn't benefit me so much, plus I am trying to avoid reoccurence of some chronic injuries! Hmm looks like there may be some compromise that I will have to make between training for running performance and exercising to lose weight..of course being lighter would improve my race times too!

Think I'm going to have to buy some little weights, scary, I'm set in my ways!

Thanks for advice so far :-)
  • Missylydia
    Options
    "If you always do what you've always done, you'll always get what you've always got." Henry Ford

Gotta push yourself out of the comfort zone!!

Scary but feels great once you've done it!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I am also 5'5" and also run and there's no way I would eat 2000 cals a day, even on run days. I usually aim for 1200 on rest days and 1400-1700 on running days, and I have lost 1/2 a lb a week average for the last 5 months.
  • rubytuesday87
    Options
    Fteale,

Do you not feel hungry and weak on so few calories? I work on my feet in addition to the running and wouldn't get through a long shift with 1200 cals. Well done on the weight loss and if you feel healthy and well fuelled then thats great, but if the only way I can lose is to eat so little, I don't think I can.
  • Helendec1962
    Options
    Wow, very impressive numbers there, if I even attempted a ten mile run I think my body would surely shut down. Keep up the good work!!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Fteale,

Do you not feel hungry and weak on so few calories? I work on my feet in addition to the running and wouldn't get through a long shift with 1200 cals. Well done on the weight loss and if you feel healthy and well fuelled then thats great, but if the only way I can lose is to eat so little, I don't think I can.

I am hungry all the time! But I think that's something you have to put up with to lose weight. I don't feel weak, I get fitter all the time. I do circuit training and aerobics as well as running.
    I don't work, but I do have 2 small boys who keep me on my feet and running around several hours a day.
  • alli_baba
    alli_baba Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    Hmmm. I've been running since I was 14 and am a distance runner like you. I fall off the bandwagon every once in a while (I'm right now getting back on) but my typical running schedule was 7 miles, 4 or 5 days a week (I never differed the mileage because I was too lazy to find other running routes). I didn't time myself and just enjoyed long, slow runs. I also didn't have time for weight training or any other cardio and didn't do speedwork because I hate it (although I did have some major hills on my run).

My weight was falling off so much I increased my eating just to keep weight on (which a trainer once told me was fueling my metabolism to burn even more). I eventually reduced my mileage because eating so much food was becoming too expensive :-) I was also 28 at the time (I am now 36 so I think my metabolism has naturally slowed down).

So, I don't know how you break up your runs, but regular long slow runs always did the trick for me. And, for me at least, keeping calories relatively high (2000 to 3000) was fueling the weight loss. But everybody is different. I hope this helps.