Need Zumba Help

Options
I took my first Zumba class yesterday. It kicked my butt but I didn't sit down or give up... so win for me. However, my instructor, as wonderful as she is, likes to do a lot of salsa moves and I find that it's really hard to move all my weight around to do them. (I'm 5ft 3in just under 300.) I am painfully slow. She did give some modifications for some of the steps but does anyone have any suggestions on what I can do to improve. I do have some right knee issues and it isn't bothering me too much today. I was thinking about getting dance socks because I felt like I was tripping over my shoes while trying to move.
Thanks for any help you can offer.

Replies

• jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I agree with @jorocka about just keeping time with the feet at first. Once you feel more comfortable, then add in the extra dramatics/flair. Whenever we do a new routine in class, that's what I do.

I started off using a pair of dance shoes because I had the same clunky feet problem. They were Nike dance shoes with a special sole that helped with pivoting and sliding my foot. I personally need arch support in my shoes, so I think I would recommend a shoe like that over the socks. I found that I no longer needed these dance shoes once I got used to Zumba and got more physically fit, but YMMV. I just use a pair of lightweight cross trainers now--more support when I jump and do the more aerobic parts.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Do they offer Zumba Gold?
    It is slightly slower paced and easier on the knees. I am hopeless with coordination and found doing a few classes of that first really helped me get the hang of the footwork.

Otherwise just follow jorocka's advice. It does eventually get easier to follow along, honest.

Cheers, h.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    In any aerobics class, never feel like you have to do exactly what the instructor does. It is more important to simply keep moving than to get discouraged or flustered or stop.

You can always just do the footwork. Or samba in place. Or do grapevines.

Remember you are burning many more calories than tinier people!
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    If it kicked your butt but you didn't slow down and didn't give up, you are doing it right. I took advantage of a little denial and imagined myself as graceful as the instructor.

As you practice you will pick it up.
  • Krby13
    Krby13 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Sometimes changing instructors helps too. Because maybe dances or moves that one teacher does maybe doesn't work for you, but another teacher might have a set list that works for you. I had a Zumba instructor that was all over the place and seemed to make up what move she was going to do next on the fly during each song. I felt even more uncoordinated than ever and I couldn't get into it. I switched instructors and it was so much better. She had moves planned out from start to finish for each song ahead of time and after doing it a few times you almost didn't even have to watch her anymore, you just knew what was coming next. Occasionally some of her routines will focus more on legs (which I'm not always a fan of) but she limits those to only a week, so it's manageable. I'm not saying to completely dump your current instructor but maybe try out another one or two just to see whose got the best program for you.
  • TJvaughn79
    TJvaughn79 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    My knees and back would ache after Zumba and I found my shoes to be the issue. There are some stores that fit you for sneakers. Or you could just find a good running sneaker with plenty of cushion. I too can not follow all the steps so I tend to adjust them to my liking. Instead of rotating on your feet just spread your legs a bit and walk the turns. As long as your having fun and moving for the whole hour you can burn up to 700 cal in Zumba. That's why I promote Zumba as a must do for cardio.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Also, just give yourself some credit for attempting salsa steps... they take a fair bit of coordination and practice before it becomes really natural. If you're at 300 pounds its additionally difficult, too. It's always OK not to get everything right the first time. I do Zumba fairly regularly and there's a few steps that I haven't quite mastered. Still getting skinny, though!
  • SexyGamerGal
    SexyGamerGal Posts: 75 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Dance socks can help. I noticed that I was slipping with them on the floor has in my gym. (I did make sure to get the right type). I ended up investing in actual zumba brand shoe and it worked so much better. I am going to be buying more. Just keep trying stuff. Get shoes with less sticky sole or a round turn point.. Some people prefer stuff like the nike musique sneakers or bloch sneakers. To start out though the cheapest option is definitely dance socks.
  • cathypow
    cathypow Posts: 1 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Well done for going!!! You need to build up to the steps and to start with just step side to side. You will start to do the moves without realising eventually

I am a plus sized zumba instructor and would so most of all its about having fun and moving for the hour you are there :)
  • fupthesides
    fupthesides Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I forgot to say it earlier but thank you everyone for your reply. I have found over the last few classes it has gotten easier but I have found some modifications for them but I am going to get some new shoes :) Thanks.
  • yarddoody
    yarddoody Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Hi there. Congrats on the Zumba. I'm 67 years old. I started Zumba about six months ago. I learned to laugh at myself and made great friends. I bought beginners DVDs to practice at home and they helped a lot. There's also times when I just March in place and that's ok. Best of luck. Enjoy the music.
  • brb_2013
    brb_2013 Posts: 1,197 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I stand behind someone who knows the moves and simply DO MY BEST which is all you should do. It's not about being good at it it's about having a good time and learning. No one is good at it after their first few visits, I'm still not great at the choreography. But I'm having fun and improving. Don't stress about doing it right, just enjoy learning your body and seeing what it can do :)

I wanted to add I started zumba at over 300lbs too... It's amazing how little aches just disappear the longer you go at it. Obviously listen to your body and don't push past big pains but my knees never ache anymore... Even with big strenuous workouts. Keep at it! It's a great time and great for your body. I just love the energy of the people who are good at it and confident. It's hard not to get caught up in the positivity and fun!