Alternates for bananas in smoothies?

Options
wellthenwhat
wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
edited April 2017 in Recipes
So my typical smoothie is about 2 cups of strawberries, a frozen banana, .5-.75 cup of milk and a quart of ice. The banana really helps give it a bit of consistency. Are there other things I could use if I'm out of bananas? Trying to stay low calorie of course. I don't like adding yogurt, I don't like the flavor it gives, prefer the fruit slushy consistency.

Replies

• klaaja
    klaaja Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Guar gum thickens up nicely. Try a small amount...1/4 tsp and see how your body reacts. Not everyone digests it well. Can find at health food stores or some grocery stores.
  • kikicooks
    kikicooks Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    Frozen mango, avocado.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    Flax meal, protein powder, and greek yogurt are also good thickeners. Good protein powder and water can replace the milk too if you need to for the cals. Almond milk is another option there.
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »
    Flax meal, protein powder, and greek yogurt are also good thickeners. Good protein powder and water can replace the milk too if you need to for the cals. Almond milk is another option there.

I need to get myself some protein powder anyway. What's the cheapest kind?
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

None of us live in your area, so i would go check out what is cheapest/available in your area. Or you can order straight from bodybuilding.com.

I only came to see other replies, In my years of making smoothies I haven't found anything that adds the creamy texture that banana does.

I might try that Guar gum idea! :)

I wonder... does sugar free pudding work the same? hmm, so many things to consider!
  • OrchidMajenta
    OrchidMajenta Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is the way to go, especially with frozen bananas. I use a lot of frozen fruit in my smoothies. I've heard some people use protein powder. As for sugar free pudding mix--I never eat anything sugar free, or fat free--it's a chemical sh*tstorm. Stevia is really the only sweetener that is not created in a chemistry lab. Many artificial sweeteners and ingredients that simulate fat are cancer causing, especially the sweeteners in things like diet soda, which has been strongly linked to lymphoma, especially in men. Eat pure unprocessed foods--just eat LESS of the sweet or fatty ones. My issue is not so much sugar, but salt, and the salty yummy things are the ones I have to eat less of. Also bread and pasta. It's hard!
  • brdnw
    brdnw Posts: 565 Member
    Options
    vanilla protein powder would probably be a solid substitute and is really good in smoothies. my girlfriend doesn't like bananas and uses this.
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    peach
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    Oatmeal bulks it up too...not so 'good' for the protein like you wanted though
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what the policy is on links here, but myprotein puts their protein blends on sale from 30-60% off CONSTANTLY, so just sign up for the email and wait a week or two. Its the cheapest protein I've found.
  • rhiawiz57
    rhiawiz57 Posts: 906 Member
    Options
    i always use protein powder in mine, Designer Whey blends really well. for fruit (i don't really like bananas), I do frozen mango cubes, mixed berries, and then add spinach and sometimes ripe avocado for yummy creaminess.
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options

I'm not sure what the policy is on links here, but myprotein puts their protein blends on sale from 30-60% off CONSTANTLY, so just sign up for the email and wait a week or two. Its the cheapest protein I've found.

as long as you aren't selling it or making a profit it's totally fine to link. ;)
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    rhiawiz57 wrote: »
    i always use protein powder in mine, Designer Whey blends really well. for fruit (i don't really like bananas), I do frozen mango cubes, mixed berries, and then add spinach and sometimes ripe avocado for yummy creaminess.

Can you taste the spinach at all?
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

Cooked or dry? That's a really good idea, though, oatmeal is a stable of mine
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    rainbowbow wrote: »

None of us live in your area, so i would go check out what is cheapest/available in your area. Or you can order straight from bodybuilding.com.

I only came to see other replies, In my years of making smoothies I haven't found anything that adds the creamy texture that banana does.

I might try that Guar gum idea! :)

I wonder... does sugar free pudding work the same? hmm, so many things to consider!

Ooh, I like the pudding idea, too!
  • Evamutt
    Evamutt Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I use unsweetened almond milk for low calories, I don't like bananas, I add a little bit of carrots(I do use yogurt), sometimes I use chia seed when I want it thicker, or protein powder
  • Vio_Fit_Bunny
    Vio_Fit_Bunny Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    Try oatmeal and protein powder, this will give you that smooth consistency your looking for.
  • vegmebuff
    vegmebuff Posts: 31,389 Member
    Options
    vegmebuff wrote: »

Cooked or dry? That's a really good idea, though, oatmeal is a stable of mine

Either or...I don't mind raw (or you could grind into a 'flour' too) but cooked (and cooled) would work too.
    Chai seeds and protein powder adds more too...but the calories start adding up too
  • wellthenwhat
    Options
    Evamutt wrote: »
    I use unsweetened almond milk for low calories, I don't like bananas, I add a little bit of carrots(I do use yogurt), sometimes I use chia seed when I want it thicker, or protein powder

My whole, raw milk is free, and I'm on a tight budget, so I'll stick to that, other wise, I love the almond milk idea.