How much is one cup of ice cream?

Options
How do you measure ice cream? Measuring cup?

Replies

• eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Yes, and usually a serving of ice cream is a 1/2 cup.
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options
    Yes, and usually a serving of ice cream is a 1/2 cup.

haha, I know.... I'm splurging and having 1 cup.... it's fat free and low-calorie.... I deserve it! :)
  • jdaveclark
    Options
    One cup of ice cream equals exactly one cup of ice cream.
  • jayb123x
    jayb123x Posts: 138
    Options
    Most standard ice cream scoops are 1/4 cup. I used to just get the biggest 'jethro bowl' I could find and fill it up but now (when there some in the house) I use a small tea cup for my ice cream.
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    not enough
  • JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    I've discovered that I can pack a lot into those cups though...I see how many grams per serving, then I convert grams to ounces and weigh it out. If you have a food scale I think this would be the best way.
  • SageLikeTheSpice
    SageLikeTheSpice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Half a pint
  • yankeefamily05
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. I usually go with a measuring cup. But I have often questioned if I should just measure out 8 oz on my food scale.
  • CharlieBarleyMom
    CharlieBarleyMom Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that I can pack a lot into those cups though...I see how many grams per serving, then I convert grams to ounces and weigh it out. If you have a food scale I think this would be the best way.

^^definitely this^^
  • BettyMargaret
    BettyMargaret Posts: 407 Member
    Options

Mr. Smarty-pants! lol
  • shopgirl192
    shopgirl192 Posts: 102
    Options

^^definitely this^^

I don't plan on "packing" it in.... I read that it doesn't equal out correctly if you weigh it... something about volume and IDK.... too much math for me! :)
  • eveunderground
    eveunderground Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Oh ok I get what you were asking now. The weight of 1 cup of ice cream will vary depending on the type of ice cream and what's in it (for example, 1 cup of cookie dough ice cream will weigh more than 1 cup low fat vanilla ice cream). If they do give you the serving measurement in grams then you could weigh it out. But, the nutritional facts and serving size is usually specified by volume (cups) rather than weight....so if you were to use an estimate of what a cup of ice cream weighs on average, it will be just that, an estimate. So yeah, I think a measuring cup is fast and easy and accurate enough.
  • JRRCLR
    JRRCLR Posts: 353
    Options
    I understand what you are saying. I usually go with a measuring cup. But I have often questioned if I should just measure out 8 oz on my food scale.

Just make sure 8 oz is the proper conversion. The one I looked at says 1/2 cup is 70 grams which converts to about 2.47 oz...8 oz would be almost 2 cups...

And GOOGLE will automatically convert it for you...just type it in the search bar! :)
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Options

Are those metric cups?
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options

No, you shouldn't. 8 oz volume (a cup) does not mean 8 oz weight (half a pound).