Zumba on exercise log?

Options
Hey everybody,
I am kind of new to this site...but I love it already! I do Zumba frequently, but can't figure out how to log it because it doesn't show up when I search for it on the database! How do you log this? I have been logging it as Jazzercise/Slimnastics, but I know Zumba burns more than that! I would appreciate any advice!

Thanks!!!!

Replies

• Moonbeamlissie
    Moonbeamlissie Posts: 504 Member
    Options
    I log mine under dancing, modern, ballet, twist or something like that. My suggestion is to get a hrm but that comes close to what my hrm says after im done
  • AHealthierRhonda
    AHealthierRhonda Posts: 881 Member
    Options
    Here's a site that gives fairly accurate numbers. Best bet is a HRM that tracks calories burned though.

http://sites.google.com/site/z​umbacaloriesburnt/
  • zml_mom
    zml_mom Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    i just added zumba to my database
  • cardio_fit
    Options
    You can log it as dancing
  • LTRUITT3
    LTRUITT3 Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    You can get a estimate of calories burned at zumbacalories.com. I say estimate because im not sure how accurate it is....And then go under the exercise tab here and add it yourself!! I love ZUMBA!!!
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    I log it under aerobics (vigorous)
  • SageLikeTheSpice
    SageLikeTheSpice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    I log it under aerobics (vigorous)
    Oh, hey, that's an idea.

It seems to me like the dancing calorie count is low, compared to what zumba instructors say.
  • SageLikeTheSpice
    SageLikeTheSpice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    You can get a estimate of calories burned at zumbacalories.com. I say estimate because im not sure how accurate it is....And then go under the exercise tab here and add it yourself!! I love ZUMBA!!!
    I like this one because it has the intensity factor. One thing I have issues with for the MFP calculator is that there's no levels of intensity
  • sassysunflower
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. After reading your post, I Googled it and found this website that seems very helpful. http://www.zumbacalories.com/
  • mickeyp1981
    Options
    Newbie with a question.... Do you have to go to a class to do zumba or is it available on a dvd somewhere?
  • nz_deevaa
    nz_deevaa Posts: 12,209 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor, and I do a mid to high intensity class once a week and I don't get anywhere as high a calorie burn as the suggested website says, even for low intensity. So just be aware it could vary a LOT class to class.
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    I added it myself and input my calories burned based on my heart rate monitor
  • arh0117
    arh0117 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have been wondering the same thing. After reading your post, I Googled it and found this website that seems very helpful. http://www.zumbacalories.com/

I used this site too and entered it in my own database. It seems to be pretty accurate since it asks for your weight and your activity level.
    Newbie with a question.... Do you have to go to a class to do zumba or is it available on a dvd somewhere?

You can go to classes, but in my experience they tend to be a little pricey. I know there are DVDs, but the best thing I have found is Zumba for Wii (or other game system). It is just like the classes I go to, almost down to the exact routines, and you can do it in your living room. Hope this helps!
  • mreymundo2
    Options
    Hi! I have been wondering how you add exercise to your database, and also food! Can you clue me in?
  • mreymundo2
    Options
    I go to the classes, but I have read people posting about zumba wii and also DVDs...check it out! Good luck