Vanilla Protein MRP that tastes good? A magical Unicorn?

Options
Anyone have recommendations for Vanilla powder that tastes good? We have tried Gnarly, Progressive Whey essential all in one. I have given up on a tasty meal replacement powder and moved on to just a tasty vanilla protein. I tried Protein Milkshake Bar and they were waaaay too sweet.

Replies

• fjmartini
    fjmartini Posts: 1,149 Member
    Options
    Muscle Milk
  • wishfuljune
    wishfuljune Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition 100% Whey Vanilla Ice Cream. I mix it with a banana, almond milk, and a sprinkle of cinnamon. Or I'll do the powder with spinach, avocado, and almond milk.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Options
    I've never found one that didn't taste like drinking butter. For some reason, chocolate seems to be an easier flavour to achieve. (If I don't want chocolate, I blend frozen fruit into the vanilla protein powder+milk to make a smoothie that's reasonably tasty.)
  • sheermomentum
    sheermomentum Posts: 827 Member
    Options
    I find all the quest flavors good, but it is sweet.
  • Chef_Barbell
    Chef_Barbell Posts: 6,644 Member
    Options
    Trutein is good.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    I have Muscle Pharm. Least chalky one I have ever had.
  • wanzik
    wanzik Posts: 326 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The only vanilla shake I can stand is Vectron from Prosource.net. But it is DELICIOUS! I look forward to it every day. It's is a fast-digesting protein that I have in the morning. I love it, unfortunately I think Prosource.net is the only place you can get it.

I figured since the vanilla was so good that the strawberry might actually be good too. I was wrong. It was terrible. The chocolate was ok but I just get vanilla now because it is so good.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

I have the musclepharm one and its drinkable but still too sweet IMO.

I like Syntha 6 vanilla ice cream, but the macros are closer to a meal replacement rather than a pure protein shake, and its not nearly as good as their chocolate peanutbutter.

I currently am doing a scoop of each of the above with a splash of real vanilla and a couple hefty dashes of cinnamon to get through it. It's decent. The musclepharm or others that are too sweet are also decent in plain greek yogurt based smoothies.

• lumenosis
    lumenosis Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I have somewhere to start. I find vanilla is either way too sweet or has a way too strong steevia or sweetener taste/aftertaste. I don't mind adding frozen fruit or half a banana but I would like to enjoy the flavour without tons of additions. I'm super bad at eating/drinking stuff that tastes bad, I would rather go hungry.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options
    lilawolf wrote: »

I have the musclepharm one and its drinkable but still too sweet IMO.

I like Syntha 6 vanilla ice cream, but the macros are closer to a meal replacement rather than a pure protein shake, and its not nearly as good as their chocolate peanutbutter.

I currently am doing a scoop of each of the above with a splash of real vanilla and a couple hefty dashes of cinnamon to get through it. It's decent. The musclepharm or others that are too sweet are also decent in plain greek yogurt based smoothies.

I pretty much only use it when I'm throwing some fruit and unsweetened coconut milk in a cup and blending it for a smoothie. Since most of the bananas I can get at the grocery store are about as sweet as wall paper, that also helps.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Designer whey has a protein powder with no sweetener, flavors at all,I like to add cocoa powder (unsweetened) banana,almond milk and coffee,I suppose you could do vanilla extract and some fruit and probably get a decent flavor
  • fasterpssycat
    fasterpssycat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    I really dislike the taste of whey protein, and though I am not a vegetarian, I prefer the vegan protein powders. I think they have less aftertaste. I really like the VegaOne french vanilla with unsweetened vanilla almond or coconut milk mixed in my green smoothies.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I like 1st Phorm Level-1. While I haven't tried plain vanilla, the ice cream sandwich and caramel latte are awesome.
  • JeepHair77
    JeepHair77 Posts: 1,291 Member
    Options
    I tried the Jay Robb whey protein in vanilla this morning, and it was fantastic. Not too sweet, no aftertaste, and mixed with milk was creamy and yummy. Made me think of this thread.

Do NOT get confused and buy the Jay Robb egg white powder, because it's nasty and refuses to mix smoothly.
  • 303lissy
    303lissy Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    I use EAS Whey vanilla and chocolate. Both (to me) are tasty and easy to get down AND mix with others. I made a cinnamon swirl protein mug cake last week with it and it was DELICIOUS. Making a plain vanilla protein mug cake tonight with chocolate chips and I'm super looking forward to that. You can find the 2lb tub at Target (and online) for about $17 (my CVS had it for $32 - look around for better prices!!)
  • BlueSkyShoal
    BlueSkyShoal Posts: 325 Member
    Options
    I like the Quest protein powders. They are very sweet. Not chalky at all.
  • Golbat
    Golbat Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I think it helps to add stuff to them. Some frozen fruit and a blender help a lot. I also add coffee and a little sugar free caramel syrup to make something like a frozen coffee drink. Oh - I also love adding PB2 (peanut butter powder) because I adore peanut butter. Or just look on Pinterest for shake recipes - there are tons. Some recipes are written for specific brands but it doesn't matter which brand you use.
  • mrspett323
    mrspett323 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    Lean 1 by Nutrition 53
  • smokinbluegrass
    smokinbluegrass Posts: 126 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    lumenosis wrote: »
    Thanks everyone! I have somewhere to start. I find vanilla is either way too sweet or has a way too strong steevia or sweetener taste/aftertaste. I don't mind adding frozen fruit or half a banana but I would like to enjoy the flavour without tons of additions. I'm super bad at eating/drinking stuff that tastes bad, I would rather go hungry.

Myprotein impact strawberry cream whey isolate. Love it in ice cold milk.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Whey bloats me out. Since I don't like going up a pant size over my protein powder, I use a plant-based powder that I think is pretty tasty. Naturade Vegan Smart - smells like vanilla cake mix. My favorite is blending in a serving of frozen blueberries and a tablespoon of peanut butter. It's my PB&J shake! What a treat. <3