Anyone over 50? Finding it hard to lose weight

Options
51 year old female struggling with middle aged menopausal weight gain.... looking for support...

Replies

• bjdavidson964
    bjdavidson964 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    52 here and I find that I have to work diligently to get the weight to come off. Feel free to add me. Also there are a number of 50+ groups here on MFP that may be of interest.
  • jjpdmann
    jjpdmann Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    52 this year. Getting so much harder to lose but willing to try and be supportive of others.
  • gocat55
    gocat55 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I'm 54 and I've been on Nutrisystem for a month now and only lost 4 pounds. My biggest problem is getting off my fat butt and working out. I have started walking again though. Willing to support anyone who needs it.
  • BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    Not 50 and not a woman but I do understand the frustration that you gals are going through. I just want you to know that it is possible, I have met and trained many women 50+ and have had great results. Just be sure to focus on your diet, adjusting it when necessary and really pay attention to your body. sometimes your fat intake need to come up and your carbohydrates need to come down sometimes it's vice versa. Really play around with your diet and your macronutrients to find the best plan for you. I'm here to help motivate you guys and answer any questions that I could possibly answer. Thank you for letting me try them an sometimes your fat intake need to come up and your carbohydrates need to come down sometimes it's vice versa. Really play around with your diet and your macronutrients to find the best plan for you. I'm here to help motivate you guys and answer any questions that I could possibly answer. Thank you for letting me chime in
  • mehani48
    mehani48 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Yes. Menopause has got me all out of whack. I struggle to lose a pound a week and if I don't exercise I don't lose at all. Back in my 20's the weight just fell off.
  • Circa1964
    Circa1964 Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    I'm 52 and in the same boat. The Struggle is Real! I'll send a request.
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I'm 57 and didn't find it hard at all. I got accurate with my calorie counting. Success!
  • cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,042 Member
    Options
    I lost all my 70 excess pounds after menopause. I was able to lose at almost exactly the rate projected by Myfitnesspal when I set up my goals.

The weight doesn't fall off like it did in my twenties, but then I'm not dancing the night away, riding my bicycle everywhere and having regular um...mattress party time...like I did when I was in my twenties. In other words, I'm lazier, but it's still doable. :)

Oh, I've kept the weight off for ten years.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    ME! I'm hanging on to maintenance by the skin of my teeth.

Join us here.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/506-near-or-post-menopausal-group
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    gocat55 wrote: »
    I'm 54 and I've been on Nutrisystem for a month now and only lost 4 pounds. My biggest problem is getting off my fat butt and working out. I have started walking again though. Willing to support anyone who needs it.

That's a pound a week! FABULOUS.
  • Rocknut53
    Rocknut53 Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    I blamed menopause until I turned 62 and got serious about getting rid of the weight once and for all. I followed MFP's guidelines for intake, bought a food scale, and reached my ideal weight a few months ago. I'm 63 and feeling better than ever. Because my maintenance calories aren't much I exercise a lot (hiking, walking, skiing, snow shoeing, and strength training) so I can eat a little more.
  • amr4job7410
    amr4job7410 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Hello :blush: how are you?
    Do u slightly exercise?
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Options
    Do u slightly exercise?

heh
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    Do u slightly exercise?
    11hgbm14onbx.gif

• pamfgil
    pamfgil Posts: 449 Member
    Options
    There a discussion called "women over 50 in April", there's a new thread every month, all you have to do is read and comment to join in
  • lclarkewalker
    lclarkewalker Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    61 here. And I think the biggest issue I have is that the young people around me don't get it. Please bear with me while I share my "Senior Moment".

I decided to start working out. I went to a local gym and signed up. So far, so good, right? I get approached by a trainer. I thought: 99.00 isn't bad for four sessions. But it quickly became apparent that he had NO CLUE about the problems that plague us over sixty.

I went through it, and ended up hurting several sections of my personal, physical being.

After a week off, spending it attached to my TENS unit, I finally recovered and decided to do some research.

To begin with, I am on a medication that makes "burning" calories an impossible dream. My only hope is to ingest fewer calories.

That wasn't told to me. Instead I was handed a bastardized version of the Atkins diet on which I GAINED weight! Low carb weight gain is impossible you say?

Nope. It's highly possible. Fat has weight to it. And this was a higher than I was used to fat count and a more than I can reasonably eat protein count.

In other words: four eggs in the morning was way too much (I vomited it).

Anyway, the past six weeks had been a study in why one should never go to a younger person for help with getting healthier. At least not in the gym coach department.

So here's what I did do.

1) I began using the eliptical. The first 15 minutes is calorie burn. The second 15 minutes is fat burn- so they tell me. So I eliptical for 15 and bike for 15.

2) I lift lighter weights, with more repetitions and more sets.

3) I do a modified yoga.

4) I count cals and carbs. I am allowed up to 45 carbs per meal and I take them.

I've begun using Weight Watchers frozen meals. They are more readily available than the other brands and they taste pretty good and make life easy. I do this 5 days a week, for 2 meals a day, plus veggies. I cook only on weekends.

So far, after 2 weeks of this, I've lost 5 pounds of the 10 I gained doing the gym diet.

I think, sometimes, we forget that us oldies work on the oldies but goodies approach. Maybe sticking to that will be the best thing?