Kayaking

Does anyone do lots of Kayaking ? I'm taking a paddle next week that's about 8-10 miles how long should that take.

Replies

• torregro
    torregro Posts: 307
    Upstream or downstream? LOL
  • sarah307
    sarah307 Posts: 1,363 Member
    Sorry that I am replying and don't know the answer.... but I just wanted to say that some people I work with are going on this kayaking worldwide race or something crazy like that. It is over a year from now and they are starting training... They are going 360 miles and they said maximum time was 80 hours or something like that!!!
  • Its on a lake so its kinda flat but I'll be going from south to north
  • torregro
    Just kidding about the upstream/downstream thing. When we kayak (not racing or anything), it takes about 20 minutes to go a mile. But.........depending on the river, you can spend all day traveling 10 miles. On a lake, you should be good with about 20minutes a mile or so. Have fun, I LOVE to kayak.
  • Sara7Taylor
    Sara7Taylor Posts: 112 Member
    Depending on how fast you are paddling I'd say between 2 and 3 hours. :)
  • I figured if I can walk a mile in 12, I should be able to kayak 1 in 20 or so. I figured maybe 2-3 miles per hour as long as the water isn't rough and I don't fall out of the freaking boat ! Cuz how do you get back into a Kayak in the middle of a lake ???
  • koosdel
    koosdel Posts: 3,317 Member
    Are you taking your 'gater kayak? Cuz that might take longer.
  • torregro
    I figured if I can walk a mile in 12, I should be able to kayak 1 in 20 or so. I figured maybe 2-3 miles per hour as long as the water isn't rough and I don't fall out of the freaking boat ! Cuz how do you get back into a Kayak in the middle of a lake ???

Ummm......not to put too fine a point on it, but if you don't know how to get back into a kayak after falling out, you might want to take a lesson? ;-) I'm assuming you're talking about open kayaks, otherwise your apron would keep you in the kayak.
    Good luck!
  • Flyntiggr
    Flyntiggr Posts: 898 Member
    You can get back in, just not a fun adventure! Gotta pull yourself up from the bow, then slide back into the cockpit... We usually don't use spray skirts for flat water. No real need for them... 20/mile is pretty good estimate. Flat water kayaking is fun, and a good workout.