Calories burned during exercise: don't trust anyone?

Options
I just stumbled upon this article on another forum: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/health/nutrition/20BEST.html?pagewanted=1&ref=fitnessandnutrition

It's a few years old, but what it says is really alarming: we basically can't trust any machine or chart to tell you how many calories you've burned during exercise.

I came across this conundrum myself in the last few days. I just joined a gym, and they offer a test (for a fee, of course) that will measure your exact resting metabolic rate, so you know how many calories you burn per day. I decided to try it. It took about an hour and involved wearing a mask connected to a machine that measured my CO2 output. They told me my RMR was 1815, so that's the number of calories I'll need to lay still all day and just stay live. But with the exercise I planned to do (5 times a week, 45 mins a day) and my lifestyle, they said I actually would burn 2350 calories. Their suggestion, then, was to eat 1875 calories, with a good balance between carbs, protein, and fats, so I would lose as much weight as possible without losing muscle by not eating enough. Now MFP tells me to eat 1399 calories a day. So...yeah. I'm trusting the numbers from the test, but it made me wonder about the accuracy of all the calorie counts we get not just from MFP, but from all media sources.

Any thoughts about this?

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    Options
    Yes, these estimates are always going to come with a margin of error. The labels on our food have margins of error. There is human error when we eyeball or weigh things or even with our data entry.

You just have to pick a starting point. Enter in the numbers (with a grain of salt), and observe what happens over time (say 4-8 weeks). If you're trying to lose 1 lb per week, but in reality you're losing too fast or slow, then you can tweak your calories up or down. After a few rounds of this, you will be well dialed in, and as long as you're consistent in your behavior, the errors essentially get rounded out.

It's uncanny how your weight loss or weight gain can work like clockwork once all your numbers are dialed in - even knowing that there is margin of error involved.

Edit: for example, I have my calories set to 2500 right now, and log everything I eat. But I eyeball some things and I'm pretty sure I'm eating a little bit more than what's actually logged. I also record my workouts, including weight training, with my HRM. It is commonly accepted that HRMs overestimate calories burned during weight training. But I enter what the HRM says and "eat back" those calories as well - so again, I'm going above what I "should" be eating. But it all works out and the reason is that the 2500 that I'm starting with is likely a conservative/low estimate. In reality, I'm probably baselining at 2800. But I've been doing this long enough that I have my routine and I get my expected results. And I don't sweat those absolute numbers all that much; just the relative changes I make every few months.
  • bluefox9er
    bluefox9er Posts: 2,917 Member
    Options
    Ok, this might be a bit cynical, but 2 things:

1. I never ever trust the Gym. EVER. Their numbers may or may not be accurate, but they are more anxious for you to give them your money than to make you healthy.end of story.

2. mfp sets an approximate ' one size fits all' type of calculation that most people fall into.

I joined mfp and have used it's numbers as a GUIDELINE. common sense tells me to eat more if I am hungry, and exercise less if I am fatigued. so far, this has worked for me.
  • boku70
    boku70 Posts: 80
    Options
    The MFP and lots of other exercise calorie data is, as you say, dodgy.

The best way I've found to estimate calories (short of doing what you did) is based on heart rate.

Here is calorie data from the medically supervised program where I lost most of my weight:

http://www.hmrprogram.com/index.cfm/DietTools/Walk-O-Meter (look at the "Calories for any Activity" tab on the right.)

I mapped their categories to heart rate: Low intensity = 60 to 69% of Max HR; Med. Intensity = 70 to 79% of Max HR, etc.

These guidelines have served me very well.
  • misscfe
    misscfe Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    I have done that testing too. It is actually pretty helpful. I have never trusted the machines of MFP when it comes to calories burned. When it comes to the calories I need to eat I just play around till I find what works. When I did the test it said I should only eat like 1035 calories a day without exercise. I exercise 6-7 days a week so I definitely eat more then that. Even though I think the test is more accurate I don't think it is 100% accurate either. Every person is different and you got to make adjustments until you find what works.
  • arh0117
    arh0117 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Bump. I'm interested to hear others' responses...
  • MadBabysMama
    MadBabysMama Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    perhaps some of the difference is that you're not taking into account your exercise calories that MFP encourages you to eat, on top of your 1400 or so allowance - depending on your daily burn (probably reasonable it could be 400), that might get you to close to the same number recommended?
  • hbrittingham
    hbrittingham Posts: 2,518 Member
    Options
    Interesting. I've followed MFP's calorie recommendation, used the gym machines to give me the calories burned and eat back almost all my calories (I was eating them all back until the last couple of days and since I am heading into my last 20 lbs to lose I have added 200 calories a day and am still trying to convince myself it's okay to eat them) and I have been losing weight steadily. Not fast, but steadily. Since I joined MFP in March, I have lost 15 lbs, I lost the rest in the few months before using another site. I think it's pretty accurate on my calories allotted and calories burned. But I am also not in a race to lose weight, so I'm okay with losing it slowly.
  • ivansmomma
    ivansmomma Posts: 500
    Options
    Bump - lots of good info here.
  • kje2011
    kje2011 Posts: 502 Member
    Options
    bump
  • SkateboardFi
    SkateboardFi Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    very interesting. bumping
  • rachelthefinn
    Options
    I have been doing the heart rate zone training too. I think it's too early to tell if any of this is working, since I just started this past week. I have counted calories in the past on a different site, which told me I could eat 1888 cals/day. I did eat up all my exercise calories then, and I lost about 10 pounds over the course of 2-3 months. So maybe the point is that you should work out, eat healthy foods, and see what works best for you over time?
  • ahavoc
    ahavoc Posts: 464 Member
    Options
    I'm mistrustful as well. I use my heart rate to figure out my calorie burn. I base it on my age, my height, weight, and length I keep my heart rate where I want it. I am thinking of getting a heart rate monitor, but two fingers on my neck can give me my pulse in 10 seconds.

Also, I'm not looking at exercise to lose weight, but to keep my metabolism burning so I can lose weight. Does that make sense?
  • crisanderson27
    crisanderson27 Posts: 5,343 Member
    Options
    Yes, these estimates are always going to come with a margin of error. The labels on our food have margins of error. There is human error when we eyeball or weigh things or even with our data entry.

You just have to pick a starting point. Enter in the numbers (with a grain of salt), and observe what happens over time (say 4-8 weeks). If you're trying to lose 1 lb per week, but in reality you're losing too fast or slow, then you can tweak your calories up or down. After a few rounds of this, you will be well dialed in, and as long as you're consistent in your behavior, the errors essentially get rounded out.

It's uncanny how your weight loss or weight gain can work like clockwork once all your numbers are dialed in - even knowing that there is margin of error involved.

Edit: for example, I have my calories set to 2500 right now, and log everything I eat. But I eyeball some things and I'm pretty sure I'm eating a little bit more than what's actually logged. I also record my workouts, including weight training, with my HRM. It is commonly accepted that HRMs overestimate calories burned during weight training. But I enter what the HRM says and "eat back" those calories as well - so again, I'm going above what I "should" be eating. But it all works out and the reason is that the 2500 that I'm starting with is likely a conservative/low estimate. In reality, I'm probably baselining at 2800. But I've been doing this long enough that I have my routine and I get my expected results. And I don't sweat those absolute numbers all that much; just the relative changes I make every few months.

This is excellent. I wish more people could read this and comprehend what you're actually trying to get across.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    I just stumbled upon this article on another forum: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/12/20/health/nutrition/20BEST.html?pagewanted=1&ref=fitnessandnutrition

It's a few years old, but what it says is really alarming: we basically can't trust any machine or chart to tell you how many calories you've burned during exercise.

I came across this conundrum myself in the last few days. I just joined a gym, and they offer a test (for a fee, of course) that will measure your exact resting metabolic rate, so you know how many calories you burn per day. I decided to try it. It took about an hour and involved wearing a mask connected to a machine that measured my CO2 output. They told me my RMR was 1815, so that's the number of calories I'll need to lay still all day and just stay live. But with the exercise I planned to do (5 times a week, 45 mins a day) and my lifestyle, they said I actually would burn 2350 calories. Their suggestion, then, was to eat 1875 calories, with a good balance between carbs, protein, and fats, so I would lose as much weight as possible without losing muscle by not eating enough. Now MFP tells me to eat 1399 calories a day. So...yeah. I'm trusting the numbers from the test, but it made me wonder about the accuracy of all the calorie counts we get not just from MFP, but from all media sources.

Any thoughts about this?
    You have to keep in mind the way MFP works if you want to compare. MFP takes your RMR (they say BMR, but to me RMR seems more accurate) and deducts X number of calories for you to lose X amount of weight with diet alone. If MFP estimates your RMR at 1900 (pretty close to the 1815 you got from your gym) then subtracts 500 for weight loss (one pound a week approximately) you get about 1400. Now, if you exercise and burn about 500 calories, add that in to what MFP says, and you're right around the 1900 that the gym tells you to eat. So really, the numbers are a lot closer than you think.

MFP just tells you to eat less, so that even if you don't exercise, you will lose weight, but when you do exercise, you need to add those calories back in.
  • Scott156
    Scott156 Posts: 13
    Options
    Ok, how important is it to eat back the workout calories? I need to lose about another 30 pounds so there are plenty of fat stores for my body to use when I am in a calorie deficit at the end of the day (which I almost always am). I have read that it's not as important to eat back the exercise calories until to get close to your target weight. I ask because I am concerned about my metabolism getting jacked around.

I use a heart rate monitor too and after an hour of cardio it says I burned 800 cals. That really seems like a lot to me so I usually split it in half.

I am tending to agree with most here in that everyone is different and it's really a matter of proper tracking and analysis to determine what works best for you.
  • tigersword
    tigersword Posts: 8,059 Member
    Options
    As long as your net for the day is at least 1500, you probably don't have to eat back all of your calories. Of course, as your body fat percentage drops, you will need tho eat more and more of them.

Also, experiment, it may work for you to eat some, it may work better to eat all, it may work better to eat none. Always try different things and see what works best.