• IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    :/
  • Seant456
    Seant456 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think it's just a redundant fitness marketing term...there are many.

Agreed lol
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Think of a lean steak vs. a well marbled steak.

The reason Kobe beef is so marbled is because they give the cows beer to drink while massaging them.

If you drink a six pack while lifting you'll build super big phat marbled muscles in half the time it takes to build skinny lean muscle.

It's so marbled and nice is because they don't let the cows move at all. The more movement = less marbling.
    MrsT1610 wrote: »
    Struggling to understand / not be annoyed by the concept of "building lean muscle". As opposed to what?? Building chubby muscles?
    Surely muscle by definition is lean. Any bulk either comes from accompanying fat or just building more muscle. No??
    Am I missing something??

I am not sure who exactly makes these claims but what they mean is probably gaining smallest possible fat possible while gaining muscle. Depending on your genetics and sex, you will gain a lot of fat while gaining muscle. If you try to gain too much in a short time, lets call it "dirty bulk" you simply gain too much fat while gaining that muscle.
    Who knows though, depends on the context of this sentence.

And gaining "lean muscle" is possible for newbies. People gaining muscle while cutting is not unheard of.
    dpwellman wrote: »
    I also take it to mean skeletal muscle (as opposed to smooth or cadiac, which would be impossible to build anyway). Either way, it's redundant.

Building cardiac muscle is very possible. Just ask Andreas Munzer...oh wait, he's dead. Dude's heart weighed like twice what a normal human's does when he croaked. Dat PED stack...

Don't get the hate towards the guy? I mean clearly he was misdirected with illusions and all but, really?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I also take it to mean skeletal muscle (as opposed to smooth or cadiac, which would be impossible to build anyway). Either way, it's redundant.

Building cardiac muscle is very possible. Just ask Andreas Munzer...oh wait, he's dead. Dude's heart weighed like twice what a normal human's does when he croaked. Dat PED stack...

Cardiac hypertrophy, maybe without PEDs, "enormous, elongated, torpedo-shaped hearts":

https://sciencedaily.com/releases/2008/08/080807222006.htm
    nytimes.com/2008/07/07/health/07hearts.html

But I'd rather drink beer while being massaged, and get marbled muscles, if that's an option. The heck with this lean stuff.

Sorry, OP, thread drift!

I agree with the "silly marketing term" idea. I think "lean muscle" is in contrast to "bulky muscle", neither of which really mean much of anything, technically. Some people (women, more often, it seems) want to look like a dancer (but possibly not like Misty Copeland, 'cos muscle-y muscles - uck ;) ). Personally, I'd rather look like Megan Musnicki, or at least be able to do what she does.
    morecore5.jpg
  • owa1s
    owa1s Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    We always build lean muscle but some people add on fats too so there r some people that are called lean and some are just bulky but they have fat on top of their muscles so it's not much definition and detail but when they start cutting and drop the body fat the muscle definition starts showing and they r then called lean. Hope this helped
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    owa1s wrote: »
    We always build lean muscle but some people add on fats too so there r some people that are called lean and some are just bulky but they have fat on top of their muscles so it's not much definition and detail but when they start cutting and drop the body fat the muscle definition starts showing and they r then called lean. Hope this helped

It is just muscle and is neither fatty or lean
  • owa1s
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

They call it lean as in with less body fat

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options

That's a function of your body fat percentage. When you gain muscle, you gain "lean" muscle because it's the only kind of muscle you can gain. Muscle is lean. Gaining body fat is a completely different topic.

And as a sidebar to the conversation, there is always at least some fat gain associated with muscle gain - often a quite significant amount of it.
  • slacker80
    slacker80 Posts: 235 Member
    Options
    I always get that Willy Wonka expression when someone just starting says they prefer to start on a lean bulk.
  • alispatred
    alispatred Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi
    I'm looking to lose body fat and gain lean muscle do not want to lose anymore weight any idea what % carbs fats and protein I should be eating.

thanks
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    Think of a lean steak vs. a well marbled steak.

The reason Kobe beef is so marbled is because they give the cows beer to drink while massaging them.

If you drink a six pack while lifting you'll build super big phat marbled muscles in half the time it takes to build skinny lean muscle.

It's so marbled and nice is because they don't let the cows move at all. The more movement = less marbling.
    MrsT1610 wrote: »
    Struggling to understand / not be annoyed by the concept of "building lean muscle". As opposed to what?? Building chubby muscles?
    Surely muscle by definition is lean. Any bulk either comes from accompanying fat or just building more muscle. No??
    Am I missing something??

I am not sure who exactly makes these claims but what they mean is probably gaining smallest possible fat possible while gaining muscle. Depending on your genetics and sex, you will gain a lot of fat while gaining muscle. If you try to gain too much in a short time, lets call it "dirty bulk" you simply gain too much fat while gaining that muscle.
    Who knows though, depends on the context of this sentence.

And gaining "lean muscle" is possible for newbies. People gaining muscle while cutting is not unheard of.

Don't get the hate towards the guy? I mean clearly he was misdirected with illusions and all but, really?

No hate at all. Dude was willing to give quite literally everything he had to something he loved. That's more than most can say.

No one can be on that much gear while simply being misdirected about it. He just overshot his mark one too many times.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

That is a function of body fat , not muscle
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,436 Member
    Options
    alispatred wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm looking to lose body fat and gain lean muscle do not want to lose anymore weight any idea what % carbs fats and protein I should be eating.

thanks

Suggest you read this thread - unlike the current one, the link is an actual serious thread - and ask questions there if you still have some:

Recomposition: Maintaining weight while losing fat
  • Zara_Pi
    Zara_Pi Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    Whilst at the gym on Monday, an advert came up for Lean Protein shakes and bars and it reminded me of this thread.
    What on earth is Lean Protein?
  • owa1s
    Options
    Zara_Pi wrote: »
    Whilst at the gym on Monday, an advert came up for Lean Protein shakes and bars and it reminded me of this thread.
    What on earth is Lean Protein?
    high protein shake with low carbs and fats

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    This is all just MARKETING terminology. Just like "toning". The more you can suggest a "no fat" "no bulk" "long and lean" approach, you'll catch female attention and females tend to spend more money than males do on personal improvement. It's all BS to those who are in the know, but many people still have no idea how physiology actually works. See, we do use this stuff in real life and not just in the class room.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Stockholm_Andy
    Stockholm_Andy Posts: 803 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »

Whooosh? It was just a bad joke mate.....