Shorter Women on 1500 Calories Daily

Options
So, I'm not trying at the moment to really lose weight. I want to lose weight and am slowly getting back into the swing of things by starting to log my calories again. I've noticed that when I don't restrict my calories I eat around 1500 daily. I am only 5'0 and a half and weight about 117 lbs.

Are there any shorter women who have lost weight on this amount or should I keep it at 1200-1300 as I start exercising again?

Replies

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,487 Member
    Options
    Enter your stats into MFP to lose .5lbs a week. Eat those calories and eat back your exercise calories.

I am 5'1 and maintain at 100-105, when I was losing my base calories were 1200 and I ate back about 200 cals per hour of exercise.

Cheers, h.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm around 5' and aim for 1500 calories NET average (or at least slightly under that).

I currently weigh 123 lbs, and am aiming for around 118 lbs. BUT I am also training for a Half Marathon, so I don't really want to restrict my calories in a way that affects my running ability.

As mentioned above, keep an eye on how fast you are losing if at all. remember that weight fluctuates massively (so I go up 2-3lbs overnight sometimes) and use an app or similar that tracks the trend of your loss.

It's difficult to micromanages a small deficit - I go by general hunger and try and aim for an average per day, eating plenty of good fats and proteins, and heaps of vegetables. If you are exercising, you probably want to make sure you are eating to fuel that, so maybe aim for 1300-1400 NET calories or even above that (you don't have a lot to lose, 1200 really isn't appropriate for you)

• RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I'm 5"4 and 273 lbs (still a long way to go on my journey) I eat 1420 cals if no exercise but around 1500 depending on how much exercise I do, I usually do 40 mins most days on my exercise bike and I walk alot on a saturday. My net worth is usually about 900, for the past 3 weeks I have been losing 2 lbs.
    I weigh myself every Saturday at the same place.
    I made an error when I first started MFP by only eating 1000 -1200 cals per day and exercising as much as I could, it made me feel very weak 1-3 days a week hence my upping my calories and I feel alot better for it.
  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    Options
    I'm 5"4 and 273 lbs (still a long way to go on my journey) I eat 1420 cals if no exercise but around 1500 depending on how much exercise I do, I usually do 40 mins most days on my exercise bike and I walk alot on a saturday. My net worth is usually about 900, for the past 3 weeks I have been losing 2 lbs.
    I made an error when I first started MFP by only eating 1000 -1200 cals per day and exercising as much as I could, it made me feel very weak 1-3 days a week hence my upping my calories and I feel alot better for it.

yet you are still only netting 900?

make sure you are taking in proper nutrients, you probably need to eat more than you are and accept a slightly lower loss. It'll be better for you in the long term
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    girlinahat wrote: »

yet you are still only netting 900?

make sure you are taking in proper nutrients, you probably need to eat more than you are and accept a slightly lower loss. It'll be better for you in the long term

I eat alot trust me, even having homemade air popped popcorn around 6 - 7pm my time, I also take wellwoman original multivitamin, trust me I am not eating junk plus I am not starving at the end of the day, I am doing well in my eyes lol
  • BananaBite
    BananaBite Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Thank you everyone! I guess I'll be sticking to my usual 1500 calories and see where it goes from there.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    If you can get in a decent amount of activity, you should be able to lose on 1500 cals (or more). I got in just over 15k steps today, which should be a total calorie burn of around 2000. I'm 5' and 120 pounds. Not actively trying to lose but will hopefully be doing so in the summer.

~Lyssa
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'2.5" and 125 lbs. I lose slowly on 1500 calories a day, plus exercise calories. So usually I'm eating 1600-1700 a day if I exercise that day. I'm just trying to get into the lower 120s after being in maintenance for the past year at 125. It's definitely hard seeing consistent progress when you're already small. I carefully count my calories all week and lose a little bit and then I have one weekend day where I go over and I seem to gain that little bit of weight right back again! It's slowly going down though.