Portion size.

Options
How does everyone figure out there portion sizes for foods? For example chicken, when I watch a meal prep video it's generally 300g of chicken. Is it common stuff I just need to google or is it based on your personal calorie intake? I'm confused please help

Replies

• kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    You decide how much of any food you like to eat. You can use your food diary right here to see how the whole day of food fits your calorie goal, and also whether it's balanced, by checking if it fits your macro goals.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    The proper portion size for meat is about the size of the palm of your hand without the fingers.
  • michaelwaglay
    michaelwaglay Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    The most accurate is to weigh your food. With portion size, what I do is just try to have my meals be roughly 1/3 of my overall calorie goal for the day, with a little room for a snack.
  • aquaticneko
    aquaticneko Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I had a major problem with this before. I just use mfp to tell me how much it is and go from there. How many calories I have remaining and what I have to eat. Some days I definitely eat more than a palm sized amount of chicken for a meal. However, I am just happy I eat within my calorie needs.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Portion size is whatever I'm in the mood for and fits my calories.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    300g of chicken is a big portion - probably two small chicken breasts.
  • zeaxm
    zeaxm Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    the most common portion for meats are 3 or 4 oz, 85g or 113g respectively.
  • PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Food scale :)
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    zeaxm wrote: »
    the most common portion for meats are 3 or 4 oz, 85g or 113g respectively.

Is that raw or cooked?

I prefer 137.8 g or 213.3 g personally....

Who decides these things? OP, choose how much you want to eat in your meal. You don't need to take a package "serving size" as gospel, eat as much or as little as you like. Just weigh and adjust the serve size/weight of the entry you use to suit what you actually eat.