What am I doing wrong?

Options
I can't seem to loose any weight. I went from sitting at the computer/on the couch most of the day to walking an hour most days and eating way better but the weight still isn't coming off. How long does it usually take to start seeing results?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Take your measurements and see if you are losing inches.
  • SparkleShine
    SparkleShine Posts: 2,001 Member
    Options
    That's great you're exercising! You may be losing inches.:smile: Can we have a peek at your diary? That may be helpful.
  • omid990
    omid990 Posts: 785 Member
    Options
    how long have you been at it?
  • kngarber
    kngarber Posts: 227
    Options
    I think it depends on a lot of things. How fast are you walking? Are you drinking at least 8 glasses of water a day? Are you keeping your carbs under the correct level? Is your sodium low? I think balance is the best thing. I would really recommend aerobics as well in addition to your walking. If you are doing everything right and still not seeing any weightloss you may have to have your doc do some thyroid testing....
  • LHann360
    LHann360 Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    what are you eating ?? I didn't weigh myself for the first month of my journey. The first few weeks I wanted to get in the habit of working out, then started changing my diet, and I weighed in, been losing ever since. Patience and a positive spirit are a must...keep at it. Open your diary so we can see if you maybe need to adjust something. :tongue:
  • christinathompson1
    christinathompson1 Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    are you eating your exercise calories?
    start tracking your sugar, too.
    when i WAS eating my exercise calories i wasn't losing anything, also just walking isn't gonna cut it, you should get some jillian michaels dvd's. they are cheap and VERY effective. :)
  • mathjulz
    mathjulz Posts: 5,514 Member
    Options
    Besides what everyone else said, remember that even if you aren't seeing the scale move, you're creating a healthier lifestyle, and it's worth it for that!

FWIW, My grandma stayed in shape for years just by walking and counting calories. Walking CAN help you lose weight, but it's going to depend on your speed. If you're just going at a leisurely stroll, it won't do much at all. But if you're walking fast, swinging your arms as you go, then it's going to be better. You want to get your heart going! Good way to tell - If you can carry on a normal conversation, you're not going fast enough. You should be able to get out a short sentence at a time.
  • AdAstra47
    AdAstra47 Posts: 823 Member
    Options
    1. Whatever you do, don't panic or obsess or jump to conclusions. There are hundreds of variables that affect your weight. Even this horrible heat & humidity will cause your body to want to retain water. Your weight can also appear to come off quickly some weeks and not at all on other weeks depending on your hormonal cycles / time of month.
    2. Don't weigh yourself too often. I usually only weigh once a week. Always at the same time of day (preferably first thing in the morning), so you're getting a fair comparison. And I agree with those who said measure inches: but I'd only do that once a month or so.
    3. If you've gone from being very sedentary to suddenly using your muscles more, they may be "in shock" about it and hoarding fluids. Any time you make a big lifestyle change, your body will need time to adjust.
    4. It sounds weird, but the more you drink the less water weight you'll have. If your body gets dehydrated, it holds on tighter to the water it does have. And if you're exercising, you're probably sweating a lot more, so make sure you're getting plenty of water each day. 64 oz is a *minimum* amount.

Just be patient and listen to your body. How you feel is more important than what the scale says.
    Hang in there! Best of luck!
  • 6cookys
    6cookys Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    Ok I just joined this board, let's help each other. I seem to do for a week and then oops I go over my 1200 calories. I need to eat 1200 calories and not use my exercise calories, that's my goal. I don't go to the boards everyday but I will try. Let's do it.
    Chris:flowerforyou:
  • sarad777
    sarad777 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I also don't eat back my calories. If I do, I gain weight. I can't seem to eat any more than 1200 calories in a day or I expand, like this week. I walk 1 hour per day and eat well. It is frustrating to look at the scale and see a higher number. I am not losing inches either nor was that the plan.
  • Bri_and_Oli_Mum
    Options
    Ok so I did some measurements today since the scales aren't being very friendly, although it went down 300g (10.6oz) today but I'm not counting that until it stays off a few days at least with the way it yo yo's.

so...... since 16th July, last saturday
    waist - 99cm - 96cm = 3cm loss. (1.2 inches)
    hips - 105cm - 102cm = 3cm loss. (1.2 inches)

I am very happy :)