Portion control - single serve yogurt and ice cream

Options
Hey there. The yogurt I buy is 160 calories and I usually like to settle in with it after dinner. This flavor only comes in those single serve cups. Does anyone tend to eat half a cup, and if so how do you preserve the remaining to eat the next day or so? Same with ice cream on a stick. I just kinda bought what I wanted, but now I have this icecream that I haven't yet touched because hello, 300 calories each. Any tips on halving these types of food?

Replies

• ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    For yogurt:

The yogurt keeps well overnight in the fridge once opened. I just put a bit of shrink wrap over it so it doesn't start drying out.

For the ice cream:

take ice cream out of the freezer, cut in half, remove stick, put one half in a freezer approved container and return it to the freezer. Put other half in a bowl, enjoy with a spoon. :smile:
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    Yum yum! Can't wait to try these. Thank you!
  • ladyreva78
    ladyreva78 Posts: 4,080 Member
    Options
    You're welcome.

For the ice cream I tend to make slices the size "whatever fits my calorie budget at the end of the day". Some days it's the whole damned sucker (I love those days), some days it's just a sliver (but I get my ice cream) :smile:
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    Have you tried Halo Top ice cream? Many flavors have just 240 calories in a PINT. And they have 25g of protein. To me, some of the flavors (like chocolate) have a weird texture due to the protein powder, but others (like lemon) do not. My fave is the Salted Caramel and at 280 calories for the pint makes a dandy dinner every now and then!
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    I second the Halo Top! It is amazing, almost decadent! Try it, you will not be disappointed.
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I can not restrain myself with dairy products. Yogurt comes in single serve of 90 calories (I eat light yogurt) and I buy pints of ice cream and eat the whole pint (It's a single serving to me!). I make sure either will fit into my calories for the day.

Another +1 for Halo Top here! As I eat the whole pint no matter what, it's nice to have an ice cream that doesn't use up all my calories for the day!
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    Halo Top Birthday Cake is delicious
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    I did the salted caramel several weeks ago. It was alright, I guess, but I didn't think Haagen daz had anything to worry about lol.
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    I did the salted caramel several weeks ago. It was alright, I guess, but I didn't think Haagen daz had anything to worry about lol.

I agree! It's good but a blind taste test would not be difficult to tell the difference!

Anyhoo, I would never be able to have the discipline to eat half an ice cream bar or not eat the whole yogurt. So I have both Fage for when I can spare the calories, and Yoplait Greek 100 when I can't. And I have Haagen Daz bars for the days I can spare the calories, and Yasso Bars or a quart of Edy's Slow Churned for the days I don't.

As far as the yogurt, you can keep an opened quart of flavored yogurt for several days in the fridge, so I don't see why the cup wouldn't be fine. I might scoop out half into a bowl to eat, rather than eating out of the cup and risking the half you'll end up saving warming up too much while you eat. But I'm a little anal about that sort of thing :)
  • Lives2Travel
    Lives2Travel Posts: 682 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »

I completely agree that the Haagen Daz tastes better. But at 332 calories for 1/2 cup of salted caramel it's too many calories for too little ice cream. I'd rather have 4 times as much for 280 calories when an ice cream craving strikes. And there's something very satisfying about eating the whole darn pint. Feels like a mini diet break!