Tracking & exercise Vs. tracking alone

Options
This may seem unlikely, and certainly feels counter-intuitive, but it seems that if I only track my food eaten (and don't exercise), then I don't lose weight, but if I track my food & get a bit of activity within my day (even just walking for 30 mins), then the pounds come-off... even when I eat my exercise calories back.

Does this happen with anyone else out-there?

Replies

• adelinue
    adelinue Posts: 98 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I personally do not eat my calories back and I never was on a 'diet' without exercising so I wouldn't know if there's a difference. But from a logical standpoint; you are probably not eating all of your exercise calories back (You are probably underestimating the calorie output). That is why I don't eat my exercise calories back lol; most of the time they are vastly incorrect, either under or over the actual calorie burn.

If you aren't hungry with your usual calorie goal, I would advise you to not eat back the burnt calories. The weight will come-off all the more easily :wink:
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I have lost with or without exercise. I agree with the logic above, that it may be that you are not eating back all your exercise calories and that makes the difference. Either way though, exercise is good for you, so keep up the good work!
  • aaronmefford
    aaronmefford Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    That's is exactly how it works for me as well!
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    adelinue wrote: »
    I personally do not eat my calories back and I never was on a 'diet' without exercising so I wouldn't know if there's a difference. But from a logical standpoint; you are probably not eating all of your exercise calories back (You are probably underestimating the calorie output). That is why I don't eat my exercise calories back lol; most of the time they are vastly incorrect, either under or over the actual calorie burn.

If you aren't hungry with your usual calorie goal, I would advise you to not eat back the burnt calories. The weight will come-off all the more easily :wink:

Yes the "weight" will come off more easily. However, large deficits make it harder for your body to support existing lean muscle mass. I strength train to help keep lean muscle because I need all the help I can get (over 50). I want a lower body fat % (but that's me).

Everything is an estimate - exercise calorie burns, activity level, and even your food logging. I choose to work with the estimates and tweak them to get the results I was expecting.
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I lost my 50lbs without any exercise factored in. Maintaining the same, except during the warmer months (50+ degrees is my threshold), then I do brisk walking several times a week. I don't purposely eat those calories back though, since I figure I'm not really burning that much during a two mile walk.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,191 Member
    Options
    I lose whether I exercise or not. I do find it a lot easier to be disciplined with my eating when I am exercising. Whether that is because of having extra calories to work with or whether it is something else I don't know.
  • rachelr1116
    rachelr1116 Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    I can lose with or without exercise. I'm the worst about keeping up with an exercise schedule so I'd say that I've only exercised on a regular basis half the time that I've been losing weight. I do find that I have more energy when I exercise and I get to eat more food so that's good motivation to exercise even if it doesn't make me lose weight any faster.
  • mazdauk
    mazdauk Posts: 1,380 Member
    Options
    I eat back my exercise calories (or save them for an evening out/weekend or whatever). Exercising improves the shape as well as size of the body, plus if I have some extra calories I can use them to live, not just exist ;)
  • jonchew
    jonchew Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Lot's of interesting thoughts & insights here... I'm wondering; if one does some form of exercise (even just walking for 30 mins.), your body will "burn hotter", and use more calories throughout the entire day. I personally use MFP as a "balance sheet" - my goal has always been to hit as close or under 0 calories remaining by day's end. I log exercises, so if I'm active, I eat more calories... period.

The accuracy of my logging remains the same, the only difference that I see in my rituals are increased activity, and I've really started to take a hard look at (and have reduced) my carb intake (a wake-up call from my Dr... I'm pre-T2 diabetes).

Perhaps the combo of more activity & lower carb intake (but similar caloric intake)?