Mental and Physical side effects of dieting

Options
Hey everyone,

Something people rarely talk about, but what do you experience while cutting your calories? Besides the obvious, being irritable and craving all the bad food on the planet.

I'll start:
I notice my memory isnt as sharp, feeling cold/chilled, random nostalgic thoughts, waking up earlier than usual (not insomnia), a feeling of my senses being heightened (especially smell and hearing).

Anyone else have these or that can add to the list??

Replies

• nevadavis1
    nevadavis1 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure why but my face started breaking out since I started this diet.
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any negative side effects. What are you doing?
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I don't sleep more, but my sleeping patterns have shifted to avoid boredom/need to stay awake eating. I'm not "satisfied" with my meals 90% of the time.
  • Savyna
    Savyna Posts: 789 Member
    Options
    I only feel cold/chilly when I'm not getting enough iron and vitamins in my diet.
  • Zinka61
    Zinka61 Posts: 523 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yeah, I've had mainly positive side effects, so I wonder if you are eating too low calorie or not getting vital nutrients? I have more energy, fewer aches and pains (I'm older), more upbeat mood, better mental clarity, and a greater sense of achievement. I'm seldom hungry, unless I'm overdue for a meal. Try balancing out some of your micro nutrients in addition to just looking at macros and calories, and don't go under the minimum suggested goal on this site. Eat back your exercise calories, too. This shouldn't be painful. The idea is to make more of a "lifestyle change" than to "diet". (This isn't to say I don't have cravings or wish I could eat unrestricted or sometimes fall off the wagon. But when I stick to the plan, I feel really good).
  • anipirakis
    anipirakis Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I think it really depends on what you are eating. You want to make sure that you are making the most out of what you are eating when you have limited calories to work with so that your body is getting what it needs. I have only had positive changes. My skin is clear and I feel great. I am fasting for Lent right now, so I have cut out poultry, meat, and eggs and only eat whole grains, vegetables, fruit, and limited dairy for almost 40-days now. I stay away from processed foods as much as possible.
  • pawamonster
    pawamonster Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    The way you eat shouldn't make you feel THAT uncomfortable. If it does, change something. Plans that make you miserable aren't sustainable.

I feel fine physically - but I follow a customized plan created and revised each month with a nutritionist, a balance of fat, protein, and carbohydrate macros. I also take B and D vitamins. I track weight, measurements, AND other physical signals like mood and energy to see how my body is responding to the food I eat, and adjust accordingly. If you're just doing CICO and you're feeling tired or cranky, you might look at your macronutrient balance and increase your fat or protein intake.

The one side effect I had in this process was more mental than physical - I found myself frustrated and resentful at having to retool all of my recipes to work for the plan, at least at first, but the more I do it, the easier it gets. I accept that I will need to track my food and weight to some extent for the rest of my life. My body is where I live, so if that's what I have to do to love and care for it, I don't mind.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    If you're just doing CICO and you're feeling tired or cranky, you might look at your macronutrient balance and increase your fat or protein intake.

I'm tired and cranky because I can't eat what I want in amounts I want unless I want to become 320# again. I'm much happier mentally when I don't have to analyze my food and stay in a calorie restriction.
  • adelinue
    adelinue Posts: 98 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I remember that I had a LOT of craving for the first two weeks; I used to wake up at 3 in the morning and just crave Ramen lol (I love Ramen xD)

I also was a bit tired for those two weeks; but then I replaced my bread and coffee breakfast for a banana-oatmeal shake, which was really filling (didn't have craving with that) and gave me more energy. A few weeks in, I had a LOT more energy, even more than I had before I began the 'diet'.

After that bit of 'transition time' (which I think is understandable since I went from eating +3000cal per day to 1400cal basically overnight); everything became a LOT better. I arranged my sleep patterns to get a full 8h sleep, my mind was a lot more sharper and I had less troubles with my school work because of it. My balance was vastly improved (i was SO clumsy) although I think that's mostly the workouts. After those first two weeks, the craving totally stopped and I would ONLY get hungry at meal times (which is kind of awesome), nowadays if I have a craving, I go eat without shaming myself because I trust my body enough to know that it's just telling me that it needs something and not just me wanting to stuff my face because I'm bored.

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,878 Member
    Options
    For about 2 years after starting to lose my weight, my hot flashes eased right up. Instead of feeling hot all the time, and then even more hot numerous times a day ... I started feeling normal again! :)

As I lost weight, my energy level improved.

And my sleep improved because I exercise every evening now.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I get especially pissy when I watch my bf eat an entire pizza but he's bulking and much bigger than I am lol
  • crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any negative side effects. What are you doing?

This. It's been a while since I was in the weight loss phase, but I don't remember having any side effects during that time. After I lost the extra weight I do get cold more, but that's probably because I have a fairly low bf% now.
  • blh202
    blh202 Posts: 31 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Zinka61 wrote: »
    Yeah, I've had mainly positive side effects, so I wonder if you are eating too low calorie or not getting vital nutrients? I have more energy, fewer aches and pains (I'm older), more upbeat mood, better mental clarity, and a greater sense of achievement. I'm seldom hungry, unless I'm overdue for a meal. Try balancing out some of your micro nutrients in addition to just looking at macros and calories, and don't go under the minimum suggested goal on this site. Eat back your exercise calories, too. This shouldn't be painful. The idea is to make more of a "lifestyle change" than to "diet". (This isn't to say I don't have cravings or wish I could eat unrestricted or sometimes fall off the wagon. But when I stick to the plan, I feel really good).

Yes to ALL of this. The positive effects of this journey have surely outweighed any craving.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I think this is a great discussion!

I know from repeated evidence that I will start to gain weight as soon as I stop monitoring my diet. So I must be enduring some level of discomfort while dieting.

The early phase of cutting intake is the most difficult. For 1-2 weeks, I experience urgent hunger, particularly if a meal is not at the usual time. This can get in the way of other things, including work, exercise, and polite conversation. (Sorry, dear!)

It gets much better. Once my body gets used to the lower calorie levels, it adjusts. The sense of urgency reduces. I can satisfy hunger with smaller snacks. (A Kind bar now tastes like ambrosia.)

I definitely get cold easier, particularly if I sit still. But I am in better shape, and I warm up immediately through activity.

Finally, after being on a diet for about three months now, I can definitely report increased energy and increased cognitive capability.

I seem to need slightly less sleep, meaning I am less sleepy during the day. That is a big payoff of reducing weight and exercising more!
  • LisaTcan
    LisaTcan Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I think this is a good thread too! As someone who is already in a healthy weight range and just trying to lose "vanity weight" I do find that there are some less positive side effects to dieting. I actually feel pretty great when I eat at maintenance. I'll also add that my body does adjust over time.

I normally wake up hungry in the middle of the night and can often be hungry between meals..I wouldn't say this is a bad side effect..just an unpleasant adjustment. If I actually stick to my calorie goal (1500) I can sometimes be irritable if I don't make sure I'm eating really well (i.e., protein, veggies, small portion of carbs at each meal).
  • dudebro200
    dudebro200 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Memory problems, mental sharpness decline
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    LisaTcan wrote: »
    I think this is a good thread too! As someone who is already in a healthy weight range and just trying to lose "vanity weight" I do find that there are some less positive side effects to dieting. I actually feel pretty great when I eat at maintenance. I'll also add that my body does adjust over time.

I normally wake up hungry in the middle of the night and can often be hungry between meals..I wouldn't say this is a bad side effect..just an unpleasant adjustment. If I actually stick to my calorie goal (1500) I can sometimes be irritable if I don't make sure I'm eating really well (i.e., protein, veggies, small portion of carbs at each meal).

I'm in the same exact boat. Feel amazing eating at maintenance, just deal with the slight discomfort when eating below...it's not really hunger as much as it is restlessness!

But I don't have issues with mood or clarity...I am eating a very balanced and healthy diet, not any major food group restrictions, though.
  • Nicreal518
    Nicreal518 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    storyjorie wrote: »
    LisaTcan wrote: »

I'm in the same exact boat. Feel amazing eating at maintenance, just deal with the slight discomfort when eating below...it's not really hunger as much as it is restlessness!

But I don't have issues with mood or clarity...I am eating a very balanced and healthy diet, not any major food group restrictions, though.

Yes, same here, at maintenance I have no problems either. I'm only referring to when calories are in a deficit (below maintenance), and then usually the side effects happen. Will power!
  • Nicreal518
    Nicreal518 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    adelinue wrote: »
    I remember that I had a LOT of craving for the first two weeks; I used to wake up at 3 in the morning and just crave Ramen lol (I love Ramen xD)

I also was a bit tired for those two weeks; but then I replaced my bread and coffee breakfast for a banana-oatmeal shake, which was really filling (didn't have craving with that) and gave me more energy. A few weeks in, I had a LOT more energy, even more than I had before I began the 'diet'.

After that bit of 'transition time' (which I think is understandable since I went from eating +3000cal per day to 1400cal basically overnight); everything became a LOT better. I arranged my sleep patterns to get a full 8h sleep, my mind was a lot more sharper and I had less troubles with my school work because of it. My balance was vastly improved (i was SO clumsy) although I think that's mostly the workouts. After those first two weeks, the craving totally stopped and I would ONLY get hungry at meal times (which is kind of awesome), nowadays if I have a craving, I go eat without shaming myself because I trust my body enough to know that it's just telling me that it needs something and not just me wanting to stuff my face because I'm bored.

Wow! 3000+ cals to 1400 overnight!? I would lose my mind. Props to you! I usually decrease them slowly through the months i cut, (1800, 1650, then 1400-1500 when i plateau) until i get to 10% bf.