What do you do to avoid eating when the cravings hit you?

Options
What do you do to avoid eating when the cravings hit you?

Here are few activities that help me to forget about food:

- gardening
- learning something (for example, foreign language)
- researching some topic online
- planning (home redesign, wardrobe, garden...)
- beauty routines (fixing nails, making hair mask, piling...)
- talking a walk (this is especially effective if it's nice weather, but any walk usually makes me feel good)
- reading an interesting book
- solving math puzzles (although I haven't done thise in a long time)
- searching for a healty recepies
- dancing (with myself :) )

I'll write down more of it if something else comes to my mind...what are activities that help you fight the cravings?

Replies

• BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    I do the retire early to bed thing too but when I do snack it will be light cool whip and non fat yogurt mix , sometimes I throw in some cinnamon toast crunch for texture
  • princess0lexi
    princess0lexi Posts: 3,938 Member
    Options
    i think about i can have it another day or play with my puppy to keep my mind busy
  • curiousgp
    curiousgp Posts: 122 Member
    Options
    Cup of tea.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Strong coffee
    Go for a walk
    Sugar Free jelly (jello if you're American) - about 15 cals a pop.
  • junodog1
    junodog1 Posts: 4,792 Member
    Options
    Drink water and do a task of at least 15 minutes. (clean bathrooms; clean up inbox) If I am hungry when the task is done then I may get something to eat. This usually works for me.
  • Lizzy622
    Lizzy622 Posts: 3,705 Member
    Options
    curiousgp wrote: »
    Cup of tea.

This is mine. My cravings usually hit at night when I am relaxing and getting set to go to sleep.
  • Dr_HD
    Dr_HD Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I drink a lot of water and I follow flexible diet. I make sure I have a certain number of calories with 50% of it from protein. My biggest meal is usually my last meal, this gives me something to look forward to.
  • Working_Hard4me
    Working_Hard4me Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    If a craving hits during the day I will go for a walk, read, look up future vacation destinations, or shop, lol. Now at night I generally choose to just go to bed.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Options
    I look up the calories and it scares me out of it.
  • Deziray1992
    Deziray1992 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I use an adult coloring book
  • daneejela
    daneejela Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I will add "reading this post" to my list to read when next craving comes :)
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Sadly, nothing stops my craving. Then again, life is too short to straight jacket ones life lol
  • enterdanger
    enterdanger Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    I've got the same answer as @stetienne. If it's so bad I can't sleep I'll eat something small or drink something hot. Decaf, tea..hot stuff tricks my tummy into feeling fuller some times.
  • MichelleLaree13
    MichelleLaree13 Posts: 865 Member
    Options
    I brew a cup of tea (5min), wait for it to cool enough (5min), sip on it (15min) and then reevaluate if I am in fact hungry. If I am hungry still, I eat another meal. I found that meals or mini meals make more sense to balance for me than a snack.
    For example, yesterday I was extra hungry and ate lean meat over a bed of veggies around 5 pm... I was very full and satisfied. My boyfriend makes pizza and tots around 8 and I realize I could use a slice because I dont need a full meal. I thought about it and realized that for a slice of pizza and handful of tots, I can eat a full meal that is a lot less caloric, fatty and more filling. I went with 2 eggs and 2 slices unbuttered toast.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Evening snacks are hard for me. My husband ends his nights with cookies or ice cream, which I used to do as well. Now, if I get a craving, I will make some hot tea. It's really just the comfort of having something in my hand to sip on. Sometimes I'll eat small tangerine or orange if my sweet tooth is bad, but the tea is key!
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    Coffee or tea, or just eat what I want and adjust calories for later in the day or week.
  • megnolia82
    megnolia82 Posts: 791 Member
    Options
    Cinnamon gum
  • whatlunasaid
    whatlunasaid Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    A few of these were mentioned before so apologies for the repetition:
    -tea!
    -going to bed
    -water
    -self care (nails, hair)
    -cleaning
    -online shopping
    -playing a sims game
    -cooking for others (I know it sounds crazy. But I get absorbed in the cooking process and make just enough for whoever I'm feeding.)
    -browsing healthy recipes (i love cooking.)
    -getting trigger foods reduced or out of the house (bringing them to the neighbor or sending leftovers home with friends.)
    -avoiding emotional triggers (sad movies, talking about bad experiences and social issues, etc.)
    -watching a comforting movie
    -avoiding body envy (i don't look at "inspiration" pictures of models, athletes, etc. It just makes me feel like I'll never measure up and should give up.)
    -doing a very light workout (too hard and I'll just get hungry)
    -browsing weight loss forums