Plateau busters

Options
2»

Replies

• JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    bluehayan wrote: »
    What got me past the plateau was hitting up more HIIT, less strength training, further calorie restriction, more water

Yep, that and your woo supplements plus you could have added 1/4 cup of ACV and garcinia cambogia.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    The supplements I've been taking helped to increase metabolism and burn fat as well as prevent absorption of fat/carbs. Not only did I lose 30 lbs but I dropped 4 notches in my belt. I'm not discounting water and diet as having anything to do with that weight loss, but a portion of it is due to supplements as well. I tried just changing diet and increasing water with little to no results in the preceding months.

It's apparent my body has gotten used to these initial changes, as explained by the plateau. I'm not opposed to cycling off of the fat burner/blocker. In fact, not taking them for a couple months could have better benefit if introduced later on.

Ultimately, my goal is to cut down in weight to get back to my weight when I left the Marine Corps of 180. I can't do that without also building some lean muscle mass, which will help to burn more fat as well. I don't want to put on too much muscle, just enough to be easy to maintain.

I'm just brainstorming ideas for other possible changes moving forward. I definitely appreciate everyone's feedback!

No they didn't. If you read the instructions on those things they always say "along with diet and exercise." YOU are doing the hard work. YOU are responsible for your weight loss. Weight loss supplements are not regulated. Advertisers can make any kinds of claims they want.

Supplements that block fat absorption do exist (Alli). The calorie difference is small and the side effects can be horrible.

Weight loss is simply calories in vs. calories out. Water weight can mess with the scale, so don't expect linear weight loss. Measure your food intake to the best of your ability......and move more. Find exercise you enjoy, so you will want to continue when you get to goal.
  • htimpaired
    htimpaired Posts: 1,404 Member
    Options
    Accurate, honest calorie logging & patience.

This is the only way.

No pill, supplement,fat burner or blocker will help.

Say what you want but I've gotten some pretty decent results with those things that supposedly don't work.

Correlation =/= causation
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    What got me past the plateau was hitting up more HIIT, less strength training, further calorie restriction, more water

Cool! Thanks and congrats
  • Bearbo27
    Bearbo27 Posts: 339 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options

This is the only way.

Say what you want but I've gotten some pretty decent results with those things that supposedly don't work.

Yes but what will you do when you stop taking these supplements and your appetite returns to your original level??? These typically help short term, but if you have not adapted permanent better eating habits, then you will most likely gain the weight back. The pills teach you nothing to sustain long term results. All you need is a calorie deficit...that is it. You say restricting didn't work before. I say you most likely weren't in a true deficit. If you weren't weighing your food and logging to be sure, "cutting back" doesn't always work. I've lost just over 82 lbs in the last 9 months by doing exactly what I just typed. I have not taken a single pill. I have 38 more lbs to lose and plan to lose that the same way. I don't think anyone is trying to argue with you, but most people on this site have lost with just a calorie deficit. We know what we are talking about.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Great thread congrats on breaking through the plateau!
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

This is the only way.

What exactly worked for you?
  • jbitakis
    jbitakis Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    People keep saying, "What happens when you get off the weight loss pills, blah, blah, blah, ". People, you need to understand that these pills worked for him WITHOUT much diet change. He said that already. My belief is that weight loss pills CAN help, but are not the be all, end all. It's a jump start help more or less. It may even be mental but who cares as long as it works. I'm on no pills, have adjusted my diet, but I'm still hungry as hell. I have had self control so far (since Jan. 25), but I am debating taking an appetite suppressant just to kill my appetite. Most likely I'll get lectured by yall.