Almond milk vs Soy

Options
Ok, so my last post about milk had a bit of conflicting ideas. But i heard a few things such as soy milk containing high amounts of estrogen (which can be harmful to males) So far iv been drinking almond milk and I'm a little worried if it has the same effects as soy milk? I'm not trying to start any heated debates, just wondering..

Replies

• RMinVA
    RMinVA Posts: 1,085 Member
    Options
    That answer would be no. Estrogen is naturally occuring in soy, but not in almonds. That's why soy milk is often recommended for women having hot flashes.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Plus, soy milk is gross and almond milk is delicious!
  • monoxidechick
    Options
    No it wouldnt since the hormone is found in soy not almonds.

This is what I do because I believe that almost all things are fine in moderation. I switch up the type of milk I buy every time I buy it. Sometimes I buy soy milk, almond milk, rice milk, hemp milk, and my husband prefers cows milk so I occassionally have that since it is always in the house. I believe that I get the benefits of all of these withour going overboard on any of them. Just my ideas, good luck with your milk concerns and confusions.
  • dancingdeer
    dancingdeer Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I try to avoid any type of soy as it is bad for the Thyroid. Unsweetened, Vanilla Almond Milk is my favorite - made by Blue Diamond. Yum!
  • exacerbe
    exacerbe Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Soy is fine in moderation. Keep in mind -- you have to drink and eat A LOT of soy for any issues of phytoestrogen overload to occur.
  • TexasGirl92
    TexasGirl92 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Pretty good article on soy and the problems it can cause men.

http://www.menshealth.com/nutrition/soys-negative-effects
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    Plus, soy milk is gross and almond milk is delicious!

THIS
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    I switched to soymilk specifically for the menopause symptom easing. I dont find it gross at all! Plus it lasts much longer than cows milk.
  • idauria
    idauria Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I much prefer the taste of almond milk to soy. Yes, you would have to drink a ton of it to get the estrogen issues but why even bother when there are better tasting alternatives? I buy the Silk original.
  • suzycreamcheese
    suzycreamcheese Posts: 1,766 Member
    Options
    i didnt like almond milk at all, but i really like soya milk (the sweetened one with apple juice) I also like rice milk, but i get soya, because its equivalent in protein to cows milk, whereas rice milk is pure carbs
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    thanks for that link. I always suspected the anti soya thing was just bull****e propaganda by the dairy industry
  • katmarsc
    katmarsc Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I am dealing with hormonal issues, found I had too my estrogen. Dr. has restricted me from soy products: especially milk and whey. I have been drinking Rice and Almond instead. Both are yummy.
  • slieber
    slieber Posts: 765 Member
    Options
    I switched to soymilk specifically for the menopause symptom easing. I dont find it gross at all! Plus it lasts much longer than cows milk.

It also has a higher fiber content than almond milk.
  • desertrose69
    Options
    I prefer the almond milk - I make my own instead of purchasing it.
  • MaureenCreates
    MaureenCreates Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I've started leaning towards almond milk as soy milk might have negative effects on the thyroid gland, and I already have hypothyroidism.
    I still have it every once and a while, but I avoid it when I can.
  • summalovaable
    summalovaable Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    As someone with a thyroid problem i have to 100% avoid soy at all cost.
    Therefore, I'm all for Almond milk :)
  • perceptualobfuscator
    perceptualobfuscator Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Okay, the whole soy is bad for men thing is a bit silly. That's only when you consume it in massive amounts. You'd have to drink two large containers per day before it would even start to affect you, and that's with only eating soy cheese and soy protein, and soy ice cream and... well, you get the picture. I wouldn't be even remotely concerned about it.

I like both types of milk, but since soy milk is more often supplemented with vitamin D, B12 and Omega-3, I drink it more often.

Both are delicious options for vegans and lactose intolerant individuals.
  • suzycreamcheese
    Options
    i cant drink tea with any other milk than soya. Its delicious
  • mamagooskie
    mamagooskie Posts: 2,964 Member
    Options
    Almond milk has no hormones in it. I think it tastes better too....it's all I drink (I can't stand soy milk) I love the unsweetened chocolate and vanilla almond milk so much!