Options
13»

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Rusty740 wrote: »
    If I remember correctly OP has a history of over exercising and undereating. I'd be more inclined to suggest reverse dieting.

Yeah, hey thanks for the reminder. That was then, this is now.
    Anyway... what is reverse dieting?

Reverse dieting is slowly getting back to maintenance from a cut as compared to immediately. It's what is recommended after a long cut. The theory is that your metabolism has gotten used to getting by on less calories (thinks it's dying) then if you immediately jump up to maintenance calories it decides to store fat instead of build muscle which isn't what you want. So instead you increase your calories by 3-5% per week until you get to maintenance. Let's pretend that takes 4 - 6 weeks or so.

I have no idea if it's correct, but it sounds good to me because slower is generally better than faster for keeping muscle and not fat.

It's actually used to repair, or attempt to repair, adaptive thermogenesis (downregulation of the metabolism/a lowering of the BMR) which takes place for everyone who is cutting but at an higher degree when someone undereats consistently over a long period of time.

It would be highly unusual for someone training at the intensity and number of hours the OP is to be able to gain on 1800-2000 calories. Although I admit we can't be entirely sure those numbers are correct as she admits logging did get sloppy.

The approach taken is to add 100 calories to your day each week until you level out and return to what be a more expected maintenance.

Didn't I say that? :D

Well, sort of but you said just to return to maintenance whereas it's actually purported to repair metabolism that is more extensively damage by prolonged undereating. And I don't mean a few months of a reasonable deficit whilst cutting.

• BHFF
    BHFF Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    BHFF wrote: »
    . In order to have a successful cut you must have a successful bulk first.

This couldn't be more wrong. Why does someone have to "successfully" bulk before cutting?

lol you're just a hater! Damn!
  • BoxerBrawler
    BoxerBrawler Posts: 2,032 Member
    Options
    If I remember correctly OP has a history of over exercising and undereating. I'd be more inclined to suggest reverse dieting.

Yeah, hey thanks for the reminder. That was then, this is now.
    Anyway... what is reverse dieting?

Reverse dieting is slowly getting back to maintenance from a cut as compared to immediately. It's what is recommended after a long cut. The theory is that your metabolism has gotten used to getting by on less calories (thinks it's dying) then if you immediately jump up to maintenance calories it decides to store fat instead of build muscle which isn't what you want. So instead you increase your calories by 3-5% per week until you get to maintenance. Let's pretend that takes 4 - 6 weeks or so.

I have no idea if it's correct, but it sounds good to me because slower is generally better than faster for keeping muscle and not fat.

It's actually used to repair, or attempt to repair, adaptive thermogenesis (downregulation of the metabolism/a lowering of the BMR) which takes place for everyone who is cutting but at an higher degree when someone undereats consistently over a long period of time.

It would be highly unusual for someone training at the intensity and number of hours the OP is to be able to gain on 1800-2000 calories. Although I admit we can't be entirely sure those numbers are correct as she admits logging did get sloppy.

The approach taken is to add 100 calories to your day each week until you level out and return to what be a more expected maintenance.

Thanks so much! This is all really good information and makes sense to me!
    I did track my body fat percentage when I was gaining and the number only went up by a couple of percent so there was some muscle as well as some body fat gain. And yes, again, my logging during that time was sloppy so I am guessing that I was eating slightly more than I was logging. That's probably a good thing too. Anyway, I feel really good/healthy now and want to do this the right way so I appreciate the advice!

On another note... After a two hour sparring - stress test last night I earned my First Rank belt in Muay Thai! I am officially dangerous haha!! :smile:
  • cremorna1
    cremorna1 Posts: 133 Member
    Options
    How long did it take you to get the first rank? Congrats!! I just took up boxing classes and really enjoy them :)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,572 Member
    Options
    Don't drop lifting. Drop calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • BoxerBrawler
    Options
    cremorna1 wrote: »
    How long did it take you to get the first rank? Congrats!! I just took up boxing classes and really enjoy them :)

Yeah there's nothing like it. Best workout ever both mentally and physically!
    I started with kickboxing over 5 years ago and worked my way into more traditional boxing and then got specific in martial arts. For Muay Thai it took 3 months and 3 stripe tests for the white belt and another 3 months and 3 stripe tests for the yellow.

Actually there really isn't a true ranking system or belt system for Muay Thai but when it became Americanized the trainers established the belt system to make it more desire able for people. And it's not really a belt like you'd see in Karate, it's a tassled arm band. If you watch any Muay Thai videos you'll see them wearing the arm bands. The stripes/colors represent the level of skill.

• BoxerBrawler
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Don't drop lifting. Drop calories.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

Thank you. Yes... this is what I am doing.