Can't Get Started.

Options
Hey guys,
I'm a habitual dieter. I diet, lose a few pounds, give up, gain weight and repeat. I have tried weight watchers, low carb, high carb low fat, and on and on. I can't get motivated to stick with anything. The best I have ever done is lose 30 lbs but I eventually gained that and another 25 lbs back. I need some motivation or tips. I have a lot of restrictions in my life due to being a full time law student. I have to keep myself on a tight schedule of studyingand a tight budget. I feel like everytime I add dieting I drop all the balls im juggling and something fails.

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 33,970 Member
    Options
    Maybe you are trying to be too restrictive in your "plan."

Losing weight shouldn't be adding to your stress. Eat a little less than your body uses in a day - eat foods you like. Log them here, prosper.
  • KatieBaack
    KatieBaack Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Don't think of it as a diet. Think in terms of small changes. Trade water for soda. Add a 5 or 10 minute walk into your day. Log your food (I find it easier to do just before I eat it) and decide if you really need that second helping.

If you think of it as a diet, you will fail. It's a lifestyle change.
  • brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    Options
    I agree with the above poster. Also, I used to let losses on the scale influence my eating patterns and food choices and NOT in a good way. Maybe you should refrain from weighing in too frequently and just focus on developing good behaviors.
  • figureitout87
    figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    Figure out your maintenance calories and start there. Slowly cut down so you're not feeling overwhelmed. The progress will be slower but it'll happen and you will have time to adjust your lifestyle to fit it without having to turn everything else upside down.
  • starfruit132
    starfruit132 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Set a timer for how long it takes to log your food for each meal. It will probably be no more than 5 minutes. Every time you find yourself surfing the net, reading mindless bait click articles, opening the fridge, etc., think about just logging even if you did not follow your TDEE that day. Awareness will set in, and you may find yourself at least maintaining or losing a few pounds until your schedule frees up over the summer, and you have less stress.