Options
sabyahmed48
sabyahmed48 Posts: 15 Member
Weighed myself today and was shocked these are my stats:
Height - 5 ft 10 in
Weight - 219 lbs
BF% - 25.7
BMI - 31.5
I am looking to lose between 30-45 pounds within 4-6 months.
I have figured out my maintenance calories which comes to 2900.
As I am a beginner should I eat this amount and workout, my thinking is that because I rarely ever exercised in the past then I would be able to enter a deficit through my exercise. Once my weight loss slows down then I am looking to cut calories.

Does this seem like a reasonable plan? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Why the time frame?
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    You can try it and see how well it works. I am assuming you are male? I personally would probably set my calories at 2000, and eat back 50% of exercise calories. That way, if you don't work out that day, you still have a deficit.
  • sabyahmed48
    Options
    I read that it's better to lose 1-2lbs a week in order to prevent loose skin and gaining it back so slow and steady seems right
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I read that it's better to lose 1-2lbs a week in order to prevent loose skin and gaining it back so slow and steady seems right

2 pounds a week isn't slow. That's pretty fast weight loss. 0.5 to 1 lb would be slow and steady. What is your goal weight?
  • sabyahmed48
    Options
    You can try it and see how well it works. I am assuming you are male? I personally would probably set my calories at 2000, and eat back 50% of exercise calories. That way, if you don't work out that day, you still have a deficit.

Yes I'm male sorry please could you clarify what do you mean by eat 50% of exercise calories?
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Yes I'm male sorry please could you clarify what do you mean by eat 50% of exercise calories?

If you burn 300 calories jogging for 30 minutes, add 150 calories to your daily calorie total. So, if you were set at 2000 calories daily, and jogged 30 minutes that day, you'd eat 2150 calories that day.
  • sabyahmed48
    Options
    I would say around 12-13 stones that's where I was around 2 years ago before I put on all this weight
  • sabyahmed48
    Options

If you burn 300 calories jogging for 30 minutes, add 150 calories to your daily calorie total. So, if you were set at 2000 calories daily, and jogged 30 minutes that day, you'd eat 2150 calories that day.

Would that not just keep me at this weight? My understanding is you need to be in a deficit to lose weight
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I would say around 12-13 stones that's where I was around 2 years ago before I put on all this weight

168-182 pounds (sorry, American here). So you have between 37-52 pounds to lose. I would shoot for a pound a week and plan on it taking about a year. Losing a pound a week would set you eating 2400 calories per day.
  • sabyahmed48
    Options

168-182 pounds (sorry, American here). So you have between 37-52 pounds to lose. I would shoot for a pound a week and plan on it taking about a year. Losing a pound a week would set you eating 2400 calories per day.

Would it not be better for me to try and get into deficit through exercise and not food to begin with? I have rarely exercised in the past couple of years so I'm assuming I would lose weight whilst at my maintenance. Once i begin to slow down then I would look to cut from my food intake
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Would it not be better for me to try and get into deficit through exercise and not food to begin with? I have rarely exercised in the past couple of years so I'm assuming I would lose weight whilst at my maintenance. Once i begin to slow down then I would look to cut from my food intake

But what if you don't exercise that day? Wouldn't you still want to be losing? Exercise isn't required for weight loss.
  • sabyahmed48
    Options

But what if you don't exercise that day? Wouldn't you still want to be losing? Exercise isn't required for weight loss.

Oh ok that makes sense. One final question if I was to start at 2400 calories how long should I stay at that amount of calories?
  • quiksylver296
    Options

Oh ok that makes sense. One final question if I was to start at 2400 calories how long should I stay at that amount of calories?

Standard advice is to recalculate your calories every 10 pounds you lose. Just enter your stats here on MFP and put that you want to lose 1 pound per week. It should do the work for you.
  • sabyahmed48
    Options

Standard advice is to recalculate your calories every 10 pounds you lose. Just enter your stats here on MFP and put that you want to lose 1 pound per week. It should do the work for you.

No problem thank you for your help
  • quiksylver296
    Options

No problem thank you for your help

Good luck!
  • michellemejia7
    michellemejia7 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Keep in mind 80% nutrition, 20% exercise.