Looking for input

Options
figureitout87
figureitout87 Posts: 126 Member
edited April 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hey guys,

I've got a steady workout plan going right now that is about 5x per week.

Monday - rest
Tuesday - legs and cardio
Wednesday - arms/abs and cardio
Thursday - legs and cardio
Friday - wildcard (whatever I'm feeling, typically cardio and strength training - depends on plans)
Saturday - unilateral leg day and cardio

My goal at the moment is weight loss, but I'm still eating about 1600 calories per day I'd rather do it slowly and get some beginner strength gains going.

My strength training at the moment is kept pretty simple, and is either bodyweight or 10-20lb dumbbells.

Example leg day:

3x12 back squat
3x10 calf raise
4x10 stiff leg deadlift
3x10 goblet squat
3x12 step up

Arms:

3x10 overhead press
3x8 front raise
3x10 upright row
3x8 bicep curl
3x10 hammer curl
3x12 triceps kick back
3x12 triceps extension

Cardio is treadmill (10-12.5% incline, 3-3.5mph) sometimes I do intervals. I kind of just go with what I'm feeling at this point. 15 to 30 minutes. I'm probably going to switch it up with some HIIT shortly.

As a beginner, does anyone have any input? I was to keep the momentum of my gym trips up but I'd like to make sure I'm optimizing my trips.

In about two months time I'll be looking at where I am at and decide what direction I need to go in.

Stats: 5'2, 175 pounds

Also, if anyone is working toward something similar - feel free to add me :)

Replies

• ABabilonia
    ABabilonia Posts: 622 Member
    Options
    I'm also a beginner and I think that you have a good routine. I will copy some of your exercises. Did you get that routine from the internet or you created that yourself?
  • figureitout87
    Options
    I've started off using a program, but I've switched out exercises based on what I think works for me. For example, there were wall sits which I think are awkward and not really all that beneficial. Also there were standing and seated calf raises... I'm almost tempted to take calf raises out completely.

I picked up a book about strength training exercises to help me learn a bit more.
  • Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,209 Member
    Options
    Your program is missing exercises for your chest and upper back - which is more than 50% of your upper body mass. There are other issues too, but rather than try to fix your program, i suggest following a proven one designed by a pro (NROL, Stronglifts, etc). :+1:
  • figureitout87
    Options
    Thanks Chermoose - that's definitely something I need to look into. I have actually been eyeing Strong Curves as an option. However, I want to get a PT to coach me through barbell training and that's not something I can afford just yet (will be in June). Any recommendations for balanced programs that aren't with a barbell?
  • jemhh
    jemhh Posts: 14,261 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Buy the Strong Curves book. Half of it is an exercise glossary in which you will find alternatives for every single exercise in the program. In fact, one of the four programs included in the book is all bodyweight exercises.

Get the hard copy NOT the ebook.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00C4XI0QM/ref=dp-kindle-redirect?_encoding=UTF8&btkr=1
  • figureitout87
    Options
    That's awesome to find out. I will pick up the hard copy for sure.