thinking about going low carb, anyone do this?

Options
I lost 40 lbs 4 years ago,gained 10 back, would like to lose this, I did a 17 day diet a long time ago, like the adkins diet. Read people who ate low carb didn't get as hungry. So maybe it is time to shake it up a bit. I hate giving up bread but maybe it will give me a start in right direction.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I've been doing LCHF (like an Atkins phase 1 to phase 2) for a couple of years now. Keeping carbs low definitely affects my appetite and cravings. I do not eat nearly as often as I used to.

It doesn't suppress everyone's appetite but it is great when it does.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb several times over the years. I know it seems to work well for some, but my experience has always been a great water weight loss the first week or so of 5-7lbs then weight loss would stop. I didn't feel satiated on a low enough calorie level to lose anymore weight. My weight would stall then start to gain back I'm sure due to the amount of calories I was eating. Some low carbers say that calories don't matter and you will naturally eat less....that was not the case for me. If you want to eat low carb that's personal preference but just know that calories still matter. For me, I can keep my calories lower if I include carbs that I enjoy.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    It definitely helps suppress appetite for me, making it easier to stick to my calorie goal but yes, everyone's different. Might be worth experimenting with.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    I did Atkins several years ago. I don't recall my appetite but I was successful in losing and getting to my goal weight.

My only caution is that most experts agree that to successfully maintain your weight loss you should eat similar to how you lost. That is where I failed I gained my weight back because I didn't want to give up bread or potato's forever.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    thanks for the comments. My son does it but then he goes off and has pizza and stuff, then gets back on it. Seems to work for him.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Tried it, more along the lines of paleo when it was the hot thing, and while you get some fantastic recipes, it wasn't for me. I missed the convienance of bread as a carrier of things, and GF bread is gross (some aren't bad if toasted), being able to eat what I wanted without worrying if a place had options for me, and I didn't see a great deal of unusual weight loss. I tend to do better with higher protein and higher fats for keeping me full, I've been getting plenty of fiber and it definitely doesn't keep me full. If it's sustainable for you, there's nothing horrible about it (it's not like a cabbage soup diet. :wink: )
  • rollerjog
    rollerjog Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    i do low carbs when in a cut or a mini cut, when im in a surplus its all about the carbs, everybody has there own opinion on carbs, its all about what goals you have at that time, good luck
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    brenn24179 wrote: »
    thanks for the comments. My son does it but then he goes off and has pizza and stuff, then gets back on it. Seems to work for him.

If you can do that then that's great!! I couldn't:(.
  • brenn24179
    brenn24179 Posts: 2,144 Member
    Options
    I've done low carb several times over the years. I know it seems to work well for some, but my experience has always been a great water weight loss the first week or so of 5-7lbs then weight loss would stop. I didn't feel satiated on a low enough calorie level to lose anymore weight. My weight would stall then start to gain back I'm sure due to the amount of calories I was eating. Some low carbers say that calories don't matter and you will naturally eat less....that was not the case for me. If you want to eat low carb that's personal preference but just know that calories still matter. For me, I can keep my calories lower if I include carbs that I enjoy.

seems to be happening to me also. Lost 6 lbs, gained 2 back, maybe I will combine the two watching carbs more but having them more but not too much if this makes since.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    i tried doing low carb but had a hard time getting my calories up
  • kmahly
    kmahly Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    I have been doing keto two weeks now, eating around 1820 a day. It helps with the hunger, for sure. I don't get hungry as often and can go longer between meals, no crashes. When I do regular CICO in a deficit I have intense hunger that I struggle with.

That said, I love carbs and sometimes it's hard to pass on things like cereal or bread. Some do keto for life after the switch, but I'm so far only planning on using it to cut extra weight, and once I can switch to maintenance or bulk (at which point hunger won't be as big an issue) I'll go back to regular CICO.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    The experienced low-carbers can comment, but my understanding form them is that it's a lifestyle choice, not a diet. And any weight lost doing keto will be regained if that WOE is ceased and a normal/higher level of carbs are introduced. Especially regarding the water weight. If you can get over that mental hurdle (of gaining pounds, but not necessarily fat) then cycling on and off might work for you.

Or you could tweak your macros and find a combo that accomplishes the same thing, and is easy to maintain in the long term.
  • kgeyser
    kgeyser Posts: 22,505 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »
    The experienced low-carbers can comment, but my understanding form them is that it's a lifestyle choice, not a diet. And any weight lost doing keto will be regained if that WOE is ceased and a normal/higher level of carbs are introduced. Especially regarding the water weight. If you can get over that mental hurdle (of gaining pounds, but not necessarily fat) then cycling on and off might work for you.

Or you could tweak your macros and find a combo that accomplishes the same thing, and is easy to maintain in the long term.

All the weight lost while doing keto will not return when higher levels of carbs are reintroduced. People may experience a slight uptick in water weight when they increase the number of carbs, but unless they are eating more calories, they will be able to maintain their loss. People who do not do keto may also experience a slight uptick in water weight as they transition to maintenance.
  • clgaches
    clgaches Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I'm presently doing a moderate-to-strict Keto diet and it's working very well for me. I started it in an attempt to combat PCOS and the associated insulin resistance. I've mostly noticed positive effects. I have lost weight with less calorie counting, appetite is a bit more controllable (I wouldn't say "better"). I'm having my first spontaneous proper cycle without any pharmaceuticals in about 10 years (we'll see how long THAT lasts!). My bloating has almost entirely disappeared (albeit not my GERD). I feel mentally brighter as well. That being said:

The diet is not for everyone, or necessarily less-strict alternatives. If you have a diet heavy on bread/pasta/etc... it will be hard to switch. If you already eat a very high protein diet, that can also be hard, as (for keto) you need to trim back protein some as well. I already was eating fairly low carb when I wasn't convenience eating (eg. takeaway). I had already reduced my bread and pasta intake and never used them as "cores" of my diet. The only especially "hard" foods to give up have been root vegetables (which not all low-carb diets require!) and the odd dessert. I already was doing a low-ish carb diet, I just had to ramp it up!! I had even already accepted coconut oil and butter as my Lords and Saviors ;P Point being, for me, it hasn't been a huge change so it's not a big deal. If Keto/LCHF/similar is the polar opposite of your present diet, tread with caution. Don't set yourself up to fail. Transition into it over several months or even a year before you dive in. Unless you know you have strong mental fortitude to resist potatoes, gelato and churros. I do not and if I had done this 3 years ago those would have defeated me immediately!!

I am still in a "get lean" phase of my overall fitness plan and thus cannot comment on "get strong/bulk/etc..." phases. I know it is possible on Keto but I haven't looked into it in depth as of yet.

As many people experience, I rapidly lost about 2 kg (4.4 lb). However I have NOT plateaued, it's just slower. This is what happens with all diets; you will almost always drop a bunch of water weight first. When I have "Bad days/weekends", I used to bounce right back up pretty quickly on a calorie-cutting-only plan. On Keto, it has been much more stable. I also have been able to slow decrease/maintain with much less exercise than I've had to do previously.

I will probably not sustain this diet strictly as a lifestyle. I love potatoes too much. BUT I will be using this opportunity to help buck my sweet-tooth, and to help me learn a lower-carb-but-not-strict lifestyle.

End of the day: If it's right for you, go for it! You can't really hurt yourself as long as you keep eating your vegetables and don't fall into the "eggs+Bacon+Butter all day every day!" trap. BUT if it's a dramatic change from your normal diet habits/tastebuds, think about doing a slow transition instead of diving right in!!

This is just my experience, and is similar to that of some mates of mine. But it's far from fully representative! Take it as you will :)