eczema

Options
wondering if anyone else suffers from this? I have had a lifetime of it but since I have turned 40 it's irritating again. Especially when I sweat during workouts.

Replies

• Kagard11
    Kagard11 Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    YES!!! My biggest issue is that I scratch in my sleep!
  • woja9640
    woja9640 Posts: 450 Member
    Options
    I do not suffer from Eczema, however, I do work in a dermatology office in the front office. I would suggest that you talk with your dermatologist (if you have one... or get one) and see if there is something that can be done to help you more so than you may already be doing.
  • luckyinlife
    luckyinlife Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    big time, Ion my hands for as long as I can remember. I am a 'natural' type but must have steroid cream to help the episodes.
  • Saruman_w
    Saruman_w Posts: 1,531 Member
    Options
    Not the same, got Psoriasis, but they get so mixed up alot might as well chime in
  • Caitie1986
    Caitie1986 Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    I have horrible eczema, especially in the summer. The doctor gave me a prescription for Elidel, which is a topical steroid cream. Problem with it is that you have to stay out of the sun. It really works for me, especially if I've let it get to the point of open and bleeding sores on the inside of my elbows. To help with night scratching- lots of moisturizing lotion and socks. I cut the tops off of tube socks to make sleeves that just go over my elbows. It does't keep me from scratching, but it protects that skin from my fingernails while I'm sleeping. When I wake up there is usually a lot of sloughed off skin to get rid of, but I'm clearer skinned in a matter of days.
  • gargoyle999
    gargoyle999 Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    I've had it my whole life too. Since I've started working out the last 3 months it has gotten much worse then it has been for a long time, especially around my chest and back. It's not even just a small band where my HRM strap goes but sort of all over. But also patches on my arms and legs.

It is not fun that is for sure!
  • sarah44254
    sarah44254 Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    I have eczema on my fingers/hands. It gets bad some weeks, other weeks I forget it's there. It itches really badly and gets worse when I use my hands (as in, all day long). It doesn't seem to bother my workouts, but then again, it is only on my hands so that might be why. Creams are expensive!
  • Jodi_O
    Jodi_O Posts: 32
    Options
    Both of my children suffer from Eczema. I use one part unscented lotion and one part vaseline, mixed together in the palm of my hand to keep the skin hydrated. Hydration keeps the Eczema in check.

The doctor prescribed a steroid cream, but it stings the skin for a minute or two when I first put it on, so I discontinued use.
  • lstnlondry
    lstnlondry Posts: 1,794 Member
    Options
    wow, you really make me feel so normal. I do have creams, I feel the same about needing to stay out of the sun but the sweaty itchy craziness while I workout is the pits! Honesly, I did feel alone so thank you all for sharing!
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    I have the real crap side of the coin, I have both eczema and psoriasis. There were times where my husband thought I was injured because the psoriasis scabs were so bad it looked like I was damaging myself in some way. My eczema is on my hands and around my mouth. I would go to work (data entry) with my hands covered in bandages because they would get so bad they would crack and bleed. A few ballsy coworkers asked if my husband was hurting me (soooo not the case!).

After doing some research I've found that moisturizer is the way to go. Its taken me many years of trial and error to try and find something to no avail. I finally talked about it to my dermatologist and he agreed that moisturizer is key. I have crazy sensitive skin, and will react if you look at it wrong (or so it feels like) so I have to be extra careful.

Some of the tips he gave me:
    Use very gentle soaps, fragrance free if possible.
    Put lotion on after every wash (especially my hands)
    Take cooler showers, hot water draws out the natural moisture in skin.

He gave me an RX and a recommendation for hand lotion. I currently use Aveeno Daily Moisture Lotion all over after I shower, and I have been psoriasis free ever since. But you have to use it liberally and after every single shower (no exceptions). I know this lotion works for me and I have extremely sensetive skin anyways, but it comes down to trial and error sometimes.

For my eczema he gave me an RX of Clobetasol Propionate Ointment USP 0.05%. Its a little icky because its an ointment and therefore will stay sticky on your hands if you use too much. I have only had to break this out twice, when my hands got so bad to the point where i was going to scratch my skin off, but it helped out so much! The itching completely stopped while it was on my hands! The next day I noticed at least a 60-70% improvement in my eczema. Its incredible.

The hand lotion he recommended and I highly suggest trying is Eucerin Intensive Repair Hand Creme. It has changed my life. My hands no longer get crazy broken out like that anymore, I have not had one crack in my hands since I have started using it. I still sometimes get the break outs, but it takes away the dryness and two days after I started using it, my hands were completely clear. I actually bought this before I got my RX filled, then promptly lost my lotion and needed the RX like nobody's business.

The lotion has two downsides. If you have an active breakout, your hands will sting for a few minutes after putting it on the first time. It goes away and you notice the difference in your hands in as little as an hour. No I'm not kidding, that's how mine reacted. The second downside is the texture. Its not greasy on your hands, but your hands feel a little more slidey than normal.

Good lord, I'm a windbag. Shutting up now...
  • itsanot
    itsanot Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    Yes, I do. I can't do steroids of any type so I have found a few natural solutions. Tea Tree Oil can be found in most hair care section of any store, it works and stops the itching! There is a brand of products out there called Melaluca, all made with tea tree oil, I use the gold bar soap when I'm having flair ups. It has been a god send for me since most of the medications for the condition just make it worst on me!
  • sweetiebelle
    sweetiebelle Posts: 332 Member
    Options
    I've had it for 17 years now.
  • mikonei
    mikonei Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I don't but my roommate does. His biggest problem is that he scratches his legs with his toenails in his sleep, and socks don't help since he'll kick those off within an hour of going to bed. He's tried keeping his nails really short, but it doesn't seem to have any effect. His doctor gave him a prescription for an awesome cream that is a steroid/antifungal and it's the only thing that helps him.
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    Both of my children suffer from Eczema. I use one part unscented lotion and one part vaseline, mixed together in the palm of my hand to keep the skin hydrated. Hydration keeps the Eczema in check.

The doctor prescribed a steroid cream, but it stings the skin for a minute or two when I first put it on, so I discontinued use.

I pretty much almost cried. I have severe eczema, and I know I'm not the only one, but I always hoped I would "grow" out of it like the doctor said. I'm thinking about changing my eating completely because 20years of this irritation is enough. I hope that your babies are not adversly affected by the lotions after a long period of time. It eventually gets easier to deal w/ but it takes time.