Americans, I need your help!

Options
Hey guys. So My Dad is American and it is his birthday in a few weeks. I know he misses home in the US so me and my brother have decided to make him a little box of home, with all his favorite American foods inside. We have found a website that seems legit but apart from lucky charms and kool aid we are not sure what the big brands are.

We could ask him but we don't want to give it away. Can you recommend any well known foods/brands?

Replies

• sweetheart03622
    sweetheart03622 Posts: 928 Member
    Options
    My best friend is dating a guy from England and he came over and fell in love with Twinkie's and Reese's!
  • camille97
    camille97 Posts: 91
    Options
    A few big brands:
    Ben&Jerry's
    Hersheys
    Lays
  • mrscjwilson
    mrscjwilson Posts: 252
    Options
    Nabisco makes great snacks! and little Debbie or Hotess
  • emmaNEEDSskinny
    Options
    get to selfridges they do loads of american foods!
  • sblair77
    sblair77 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    There are so many foods. You may want to inquire about what sort of foods he misses. You don't have to lead on that it is for a gift but rather out of curiosity.

I personally don't eat lucky charms or koolaid
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Kraft
    General Mills
    Kellogg's
    Pillsbury
    Betty Crocker

LOL, all brands that I don't eat anymore!!!
  • kathyhull
    kathyhull Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Depends on where he grew up. If he's from around Cincinnati you want to look at Skyline Chili, Graeter's icecream, Montgomery Inn ribs, Goetta. I'll bet if he's a southerner, there's a completely different list. Where did he grow up?
  • NeuroticVirgo
    NeuroticVirgo Posts: 3,671 Member
    Options
    Pizza or a big ol Hamburger and Fries...but those don't really work in a box. lol Maybe for a birthday dinner though. lol
  • ak248902
    ak248902 Posts: 141 Member
    Options
    What types of foods are you looking for? Here are a few categories I could think of. Please let me know if their are other specific items that you would like some brands for.

Candy- Hershey Bars, Snickers, Twix, Kit Kats. M&M's
    Snacks- Snyder of Hannover Pretzles, Orville Redenbacker Popcorn, Ritz crackers, Triscuts, Wheat Thins,
    Bread- Wonder, Sara Lee
    Cereal- Cheerios, Frosted Flakes, Quaker Oatmeal
    Meal items- Kraft Mac and Cheese, Knorr/Lipton Pasta Sides, Hamburger Helper, Campbel's Soups

My sister lives in South Korea and she asks me to send her a lot of the items above that she can't get there.
  • i_love_vinegar
    i_love_vinegar Posts: 2,092 Member
    Options
    see's candies -- highly recommend the vanilla nut fudge...most people i know have never bothered to try it, but as i have been to See's too many times to count I finally tried it last year and fell in love. :D
  • pauljsolie
    pauljsolie Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    LOL, Betty Crocker banner just popped up for Hamburger Helper. I didn't like that when I was eating out of control.
  • kerriknox
    kerriknox Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. So My Dad is American and it is his birthday in a few weeks. I know he misses home in the US so me and my brother have decided to make him a little box of home, with all his favorite American foods inside. We have found a website that seems legit but apart from lucky charms and kool aid we are not sure what the big brands are.

We could ask him but we don't want to give it away. Can you recommend any well known foods/brands?

Where do you live now? might help pinpoint what thigs are different.

I have a cousin I visited in the Netherlands and while I was there it came out that he fell in love with cheese whiz when he was in North America but couldn't get it there (I later shipped him a bottle - shipping was 3 X the cost of the cheese whiz!!!)

My husband is from Northern Ireland so we go back and forth a lot. Some of the things I know are common here but not there are beef jerky, kraft dinner and egg nogg.
  • Scoobies87
    Scoobies87 Posts: 379
    Options
    He was in the RAF, as was his Dad so he moved states a lot. Just remembered him mentioning kraft macaroni a few times so that's a winner :).
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    What types of foods are you looking for? Here are a few categories I could think of. Please let me know if their are other specific items that you would like some brands for.

Candy- Hershey Bars, Snickers, Twix, Kit Kats. M&M's
    Snacks- Snyder of Hannover Pretzles, Orville Redenbacker Popcorn, Ritz crackers, Triscuts, Wheat Thins,
    Bread- Wonder, Sara Lee
    Cereal- Cheerios, Frosted Flakes, Quaker Oatmeal
    Meal items- Kraft Mac and Cheese, Knorr/Lipton Pasta Sides, Hamburger Helper, Campbel's Soups

My sister lives in South Korea and she asks me to send her a lot of the items above that she can't get there.

Aw thankyou :) Yep got kraft mac and cheese so far, as well as lucky charms, fruit loops (think I heard him mention those), Kool aid and a jar of striped peanut butter and jam. Oo I've just seen hamburger helper, I swear he has mentioned that too :) thankyou!
  • Scoobies87
    Options
    get to selfridges they do loads of american foods!

Good idea! Will check it out thanks :)
  • MzBug
    MzBug Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    Amazon.com has some gift baskets of candy done by decades...the 50's, 60's, 70's etc. Depending on when he was here, might be something to look into.
  • jinxywinx
    jinxywinx Posts: 38
    Options
    A few requests I get from my friend in the UK are:
    Hershey's anything
    Kraft blue cheese dressing
    Frank's Red Hot Sauce
    Double Stuff Oreos
  • stophatingyourself
    Options
    My best friend is engaged to an English guy & he's amazed by like.. ranch dressing. (:
  • makemetinyplz
    Options
    Just about everyone here loves McDonalds :)
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My mom's husband is English, and they lived in England for 10 years. She missed a lot of foods over here that she couldn't get over there, or perhaps could sometimes find, but in the international section and way expensive.

Aunt Jemima maple syrup
    Oreos
    Heinz Ketchup
    Hidden Valley Ranch Dressing (ranch dressing is so off in the UK)

My suitcase was always packed with these items whenever I would visit.