Most important meals & calories

Options
Which meal during the day should have the most calories? I made a salad and measured everything out, adding tuna to the top for protein and have a protein bar included for a sweet treat/chocolate fix and I'm close to half my calories. How do you balance? Breakfast tends to be around 300, and I have a snack 930ish and 3/330ish both around 200-300. Is the remaining too little for dinner?

Replies

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Kare1921 wrote: »
    Which meal during the day should have the most calories? I made a salad and measured everything out, adding tuna to the top for protein and have a protein bar included for a sweet treat/chocolate fix and I'm close to half my calories. How do you balance? Breakfast tends to be around 300, and I have a snack 930ish and 3/330ish both around 200-300. Is the remaining too little for dinner?

What total are you aiming for? This breakfast plus snacks only total about 800, so you should have enough left for lunch and dinner quite easily.
  • theharryramsay
    theharryramsay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I hired a nutritionist and I lost about 6 pounds in a month.

She based my diet on my BMR which is around 1750.

That means about 250 - 300 for breakfast, 350 - 400 for lunch, 350 - 400 for dinner and another 500 for snacks throughout the day from morning.

On days I workout, I exceed my BMR (but I burn a good 300 calories with exercise)and my post workout meal is around 500 calories roughly.

So it comes to same.

I'd suggest that you focus on your lifestyle and decide accordingly.

If you've got to eat lunch outside, minimising calorie intake for that meal a smarter choice as outside food is rarely healthy and is always over the mark with regards to calories.

Pick and choose based on where you eat, how you'll pack your meals, etc.

All the best!

• crazyycatlady1
    crazyycatlady1 Posts: 292 Member
    Options
    You can split your calories up however you like. If you find you're overly hungry at certain times of the day, you can shift calories around to fill in the gaps, replace higher calorie, lower volume items with vice versa. Whatever floats your boat.

This. Experiment and figure out what works best for you :)

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,575 Member
    Options
    Eat at whatever intervals and amounts best fit your schedule and keep you most satisfied while staying within your goals.

There are any number of catch phrases out there to make us think that meal timing matters - "breakfast is the most important meal of the day", "breakfast like a king, lunch like a prince, dinner like a pauper", etc. - but in the end all that matters is that it works for you. Don't make yourself miserable trying to follow a plan that someone else thinks is best. Find what's best for you.
  • YvetteK2015
    YvetteK2015 Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    I also skip breakfast so I can split my calories between a very late lunch and dinner. It's just better for me that way.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    When you eat and how much is very personal, you need to figure out what works for you.

Maybe read up on Intermittent Fasting, it may open your eyes to other possibilities.