Fish oil grrr

Options
DietPrada
DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
edited April 2017 in Food and Nutrition
So I went to the Dr today about joint pain. Have to have some scans but he's pretty sure by the clicking and grinding in my knees it's arthritis. I'm 42. He says I have to take fish oil. 5 capsules a day. They have 20 calories each. So that's 100 cals out of my 1400 I can't eat now. What kind of crap is this.

Replies

• richln
    richln Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    A standard fish oil pill is 1000 mg oil (1 g fat = 9 calories), and with the gel cap they are typically 10 calories each. If you take 5 a day that is only 50 calories. If that is too many cals for you, you can get a concentrate such as this which has about double the EFAs so you would only need to take 2-3 pills (20-30 calories).
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    You could eat some of the fish oil in the form of oily fish.

Use the tablet label to calculate the oil content and then use the MFP database to find food sources that provide some of that oil. Salmon and mackerel would be a good place to start?
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    You could eat some of the fish oil in the form of oily fish.

Use the tablet label to calculate the oil content and then use the MFP database to find food sources that provide some of that oil. Salmon and mackerel would be a good place to start?

Also sardines. Omnomnom
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,395 MFP Moderator
    Options
    Instead of a supplement, I increased my fish intake. But I still have tendinitis and clicking and that never changed. Also, if anything, glucosamine is better for joint health.

https://examine.com/supplements/glucosamine/

You can also look at https://labdoor.com/rankings/fish-oil
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    Look up EPA 90% omega 3 oil is a high dose and the oil is from anchovies. As it's 90% there's not much room left for crap and you only take two a day.
  • DietPrada
    Options
    Might look into other alternatives. Krill oil is another option. I was just annoyed as I bought a 200 capsule tub, and the pills are really big, and the Doctor (and the recommendation on the tub) say 5 capsules for joint inflammation. I scanned the barcode to get the 20 cals per capsule.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    otoh, 100 calories is easier to burn up when your knees aren't giving you back-talk all the time.

not to dismiss your point. discovering i had arthritis was such a shock that every. little. thing i found out about it put me into a rage, so i feel you.
  • DietPrada
    Options
    My mum had rheumatoid arthritis in her neck from when she was 30. I can't say I'm surprised, hence probably why I put going to the doctor off for so long. If it's not diagnosed I'm just sore. I am, however, outraged over being robbed of 100 calories when I have to work for every little weight loss (lucky to lose a lb a month on 1400 cals). My OH says "they don't count because it's medicinal" - meaning the calories. Bless him. I assured him 100 calories most definitely does matter.
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    This is the one I take

Igennus Pharmepa Restore - Pure EPA Omega 3 Oil 1000mg

I usually stock up on it when it's on offer. I've tried others but this has been the best. My doctor likes it because it's made from anchovies.

From going from suffering everyday all day my pain has gone and I only get the odd niggle. I don't even notice it in my knees anymore. That's a combination of gluten and wheat free diet, omega 3 and most importantly the strength training using kettlebells.