Slimfast??

Options
Hi, just wondering if anyone on here is on slimfast? Is it working?

Replies

• Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    As meal replacements go, it is apparently one of the lower quality ones. I tried it back in 2009. Found that starting my day with one set me up to have sugar cravings all day. Ended up gaining weight.
  • bunkahes
    bunkahes Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I use it twice a day to keep in track with extra protein
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Hi OP. It worked for me a few summers ago when I was shedding a few pounds but honestly the weight just went back on when I went back to eating solids for 3 meals a day.

The taste is utterly disgusting too, so there's that!!
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    Options
    I use a cheaper alternative, if your from the UK, Morrisons do their own tins for £3.95 its called in shape.
    I just have one for lunch, I enjoy the strawberry ones and its quite filling, it helps me keep my calories in check along with some good nutrients.
  • cnave99
    cnave99 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    Their premade shakes make my digestive system angry. I like the taste of the chocolate royale one as a quick breakfast option. But I make my own with unsweetened almond milk.
  • dragon_girl26
    dragon_girl26 Posts: 2,187 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I tried it several years ago. I did lose some weight, but the shakes were not satiating at all and I found myself hungry a lot. Plus, I could only drink about 2 of the flavors because the rest were disgusting to me. Of course, when I went back to 3 meals of solid food, I gained the weight back. MFP is the only thing that has really worked for me.
  • jessicalynch817
    jessicalynch817 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I like them and they keep me full! I have a shake for breakfast around 7am then another for lunch with a piece of fruit around 1 and I am generally not hungry in between (really only if its that T.O.M.) I also like it for the extra protein. Honestly, I could see myself still using them during maintenance when/if I get there. I guess its just preference.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I just had a little look at the UK products. The highest calorie content of any of the shakes is 265. That's woeful if it's supposed to replace two entire meals.
  • RamboKitty87
    RamboKitty87 Posts: 272 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I just had a little look at the UK products. The highest calorie content of any of the shakes is 265. That's woeful if it's supposed to replace two entire meals.

I only have one for lunch, I love it and it gives me so many nutrients, Its good if your planning to have a high calorie dinner.
    The info for the strawberry one:

2odf8nt0lljn.jpg
  • kristikitter
    kristikitter Posts: 602 Member
    Options
    Ohhh something else I forgot to add... they made me fart. Like, BIG farts. Not great if you're around people a lot ;)
  • YalithKBK
    YalithKBK Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I've never tried slimfast. I have used meal replacement shakes but only to replace one meal, only because they were easy to make (very busy schedule), and only because it allowed me to have a larger meal somewhere else in my day. I would NOT center my whole diet around drinking calories and I certainly would not pay that much.
  • amyteacake
    amyteacake Posts: 768 Member
    Options
    I was on the slimfast diet in 2014 when I was in college. I lost half a stone when I was on it but I found it to be awful. I was exhausted all the time and my digestive system was not happy at all. Also pooped, like, a lot when I was on it. Spoke to a trainer about it and they said it's a quick fix and doesn't help keep all of the weight that you lose off.
  • Running_and_Coffee
    Running_and_Coffee Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    I tried it 15 years ago, when my then-baby was 4 months old, to lose the last few pounds of baby weight. It worked, and I didn't gain them back, but the food was awful. Thank goodness it only took a week. (Do you guys remember the TV slogan, "Give us a week, we'll take off the weight!" or am I the only one old enough for that?)

I would NOT use Slimfast for anything substantial, though--like a regular weight loss plan. It's seriously disgusting and if you have more than a few pounds to lose, I can't imagine suffering through their products for very long. Better to just eat less!
  • globug41561
    globug41561 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Drinking Slimfast doesn't keep you feeling full for very long, so I don't think it's the best long term way to keep the weight off. Eventually, you want to eat real food or at least I do. If you're in a hurry and don't have time to prepare a better breakfast or lunch, it certainly better than nothing. But I agree with several of the people above who stated, it's a quick fix and not a long term solution. Keep in mind, there is no "quick fix" only the long term commitment to eat healthier and move more.
  • lenhill04
    lenhill04 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I drink one most mornings when I wake up, then a 'normal' breakfast around 10:00. I mostly just drink them for the protein right before I do my morning exercise. I've been losing weight, but wouldn't say it's because of the Slimfast.
  • bscroggins05
    bscroggins05 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    I've been on slimfast for about 3.5 weeks and am down 6lbs as of this morning. I love it. I drink a shake for breakfast and then I'll have a protien bar (that follows same protien, carbs, calories) as the shake for lunch. I'll also usually have a piece of fruit and a cheese stick during the day. Then i try to have a healthy dinner. Tracking calories with it, i stay between 1200 and 1500 calories a day. So far i haven't been hungry except during TOM.

I think part of why it works for me, is I have a major sweet tooth, so I get that with the shakes and bars, then I'm not binging on candy or sweets. I also really like thr shakes. I usually have the chocolate or the java one - don't remember the exact flavor, but it has caffeine, and helps me cut back on my coffee (with cream and sugar) intake.

I also get the high protien versions. Tried the original ones, and they didn't seem as satisfying.
  • AgidGirl
    AgidGirl Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    When I was a kid my mom would have Slim Fast for breakfast or lunch everyday for 10+ years. She always hovered around the same weight. It was a long term solution that worked for her.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Hi, just wondering if anyone on here is on slimfast? Is it working?

Did this year ago.....it "worked" while I was using it. But I gained the weight back when I stopped using it. That's the problem with meal replacements. They provide a calorie deficit, but you learn nothing. Learning about your current eating habits and making small (forever) changes are needed to keep the weight off.

I guess you could use SlimFast until you got to goal, and then START logging real food so you can figure out how much (less) you need to eat for maintenance. The problem with that is logging real food can sometimes be a bit of a learning curve. Either way, you are going to need a maintenance strategy.

Warning - don't buy a lot of this until you test a couple meals out. The new Slim Fast version has Inulin (aka chicory root). This provides some nasty side effects for some of us (like me). This is an inexpensive fiber additive in many foods (all of which I avoid).