Weight lifting or cardio for weight loss

Options
Hi guys! I'm just wondering what people think about cardio vs weight lifting for weight loss. Especially those who have 10-15 lbs to lose ☺️

Replies

• theharryramsay
    theharryramsay Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    A mix of both is ideal, but that's only 25 percent of the equation. Diet is 75 percent!

Best form of workout would be something like Crossfit or Kickboxing which has some weights along with a form of interval training.

Whatever you do, doing it in intervals and keeping your heart rate high is key!
  • SocialTomato33
    SocialTomato33 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I've been using the Nike training app. You can choose plans based on how many day a week you plan to workout and number of hours. Plus there is a plan for beginners, those who don't have gym equipment, people who want equipment, bodyweight etc. It's great! And it's free! There are tons of workouts and if you start a plan it tells you what you have to do each day. It also shows you how to do. The exercises and has Voice coaching.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Cardio burns more calories, so it makes it easier to create a deficit without having to eat nothing but rabbit food.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    IMHO using exercise for weight loss is not ideal, I agree with @VintageFeline 's post...
    Calorie deficit for weight loss, cardio for heart and lung health and more to eat, strength training to preserve muscle.

• aldavid18
    aldavid18 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    Yup, +1 for VintageFeline response.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    Calorie deficit for weight loss, cardio for heart and lung health and more to eat, strength training to preserve muscle.

This.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me weight lifting has been my holy grail.. lifting while losing has helped me preserve muscle and as I got down in weight and my body composition was that much better.

I would incorporate both if you can.. just don't think you have to wait until you get to goal to lift, start now!
  • Ironandwine69
    Ironandwine69 Posts: 2,432 Member
    Options
    It depends.
    I hate cardio, so I only work with weight lifting and diet. If I didn't die from boredom, I would incorporate some cardio.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    This isn't an either/or premise. It's the most commonly asked question on here. People can lose weight doing neither, just cardio, just strength or a combo of both. Your health markers and body composition are likely to be best if a combination of both are done while losing.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Which do you like? What are your goals?

The one you enjoy and will stick with is the better option. If you can incorporate both, that's excellent.

I personally don't have enough time to do both and reach my personal goals (powerlifting competitions), so I stick mostly with heavy lifting. I do walk on my breaks at work, but that's pretty much the extent of my cardio.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,982 Member
    Options

Another vote for this ^
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Options

*nods in agreement*