Moving to South Carolina

Options
kbmnurse
kbmnurse Posts: 2,484 Member
Hello, does anyone live in or near Bluffton SC? My SO and I are thinking about moving by year end. We are both in our late 50's and want to move closer to the ocean and a place that will increase our quality of life. We know the cost of living is less than in NY where we live now. I have done a lot of research and we are planning a trip in the near future. We will be searching for a luxury apartment complex. If any one would like to share their thoughts or experiences I would love to hear from you. I am able to take my job with me as I work from home as an RN case manager.

Replies

• PrincessMel72
    PrincessMel72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I'm not in SC but have moved around A LOT in my life. I've lived in 11 states. I always check out Citydata.com for information from local people in the areas in which I was looking to move. You can get a lot of information from the forums there! Good luck with your move!
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    Have you thougth about moving to Toronto?

@rahimlj , would you recommend it?
  • kbmnurse
    Options
    No Toronto for us. Warmer weather is in our forecast.
  • IVMay
    IVMay Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    No but I'm moving to New York because I've got problems with my sleep
  • TurnuptheACDC
    TurnuptheACDC Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    South Carolina is gorgeous to begin with. Take me with you :smile:

Don't know anything about Bluffton, I've only experienced Myrtle Beach.
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Can you adopt @janikers and @NYactor1 ...and let us move to Hilton Head SC with you?? HH is one of my fave destinations....would love to live there year round.
  • TurnuptheACDC
    Options
    NYactor1 wrote: »
    Can you adopt @janikers and @NYactor1 ...and let us move to Hilton Head SC with you?? HH is one of my fave destinations....would love to live there year round.

Lol I looked up Hilton Head and omg, I'm tempted to go there this summer!
  • NYactor1
    NYactor1 Posts: 9,642 Member
    Options
    Janikers wrote: »

It is super clean, great beaches, nice restaurants, bikes paths everywhere....should I go on?? Lol
  • fasterpssycat
    fasterpssycat Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Live just on the other side of the border from Bluffton. It's beautiful but also getting built up in a way that is kinda destroying the whole reason people want to move out there to begin with. Cost of living is going up as more outside money moves in.
  • TurnuptheACDC
    Options
    Janikers wrote: »

It is super clean, great beaches, nice restaurants, bikes paths everywhere....should I go on?? Lol

I'm soooooo close to booking a ticket back to SC lol
  • kbmnurse
    Options

"Live just on the other side of the border from Bluffton. It's beautiful but also getting built up in a way that is kinda destroying the whole reason people want to move out there to begin with. Cost of living is going up as more outside money moves in.[/quote]

Do you have any names of towns I can research? We need to close to water.

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »
    Hello, does anyone live in or near Bluffton SC? My SO and I are thinking about moving by year end. We are both in our late 50's and want to move closer to the ocean and a place that will increase our quality of life. We know the cost of living is less than in NY where we live now. I have done a lot of research and we are planning a trip in the near future. We will be searching for a luxury apartment complex. If any one would like to share their thoughts or experiences I would love to hear from you. I am able to take my job with me as I work from home as an RN case manager.

I looked into the same for retirement areas, and I was really impressed with the islands. Worth a look if you have the $$.
  • SomebodyWakeUpHIcks
    SomebodyWakeUpHIcks Posts: 3,836 Member
    Options
    I'm from SC. Blufton is a great little place. Close to Hilton Head. However, I will warn that property can be hard to find "in" Blufton. And I agree, its getting built up, just completely wiping out the natural beauty of the area. Its also pricey as per previous posts. But if you got the funds... its a great area.

South Carolina in a general is a great place to retire and the cost of living is quite low. I would also suggest to look in the Folly Beach, Edisto Beach, Murrell's Inlet areas. They are generally quiter and more residential versus touristy. Also keep in mind that when you are buying along the coast you will be required to wind & hail coverage which is separate from your normal homeowner's insurance. This can be shocking to some who are not expecting it.

Feel free to message me with any questions. Good Luck to you!

And they're big fans of Gonzaga.
  • Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    I'm from SC. Blufton is a great little place. Close to Hilton Head.

Imma visit you soon. Hilton Head has an amazing tennis resort I am booking.

• kbmnurse
    Options
    I'm from SC. Blufton is a great little place. Close to Hilton Head. However, I will warn that property can be hard to find "in" Blufton. And I agree, its getting built up, just completely wiping out the natural beauty of the area. Its also pricey as per previous posts. But if you got the funds... its a great area.

South Carolina in general is a great place to retire and the cost of living is quite low. I would also suggest to look in the Folly Beach, Edisto Beach, Murrell's Inlet areas. They are generally quiter and more residential versus touristy. Also keep in mind that when you are buying along the coast you will be required to have wind & hail coverage which is separate from your normal homeowner's insurance. This can be shocking to some who are not expecting it.

Feel free to message me with any questions. Good Luck to you!

We are renting--no more home owning for us. We are interested in luxury apartments only. We are planning trip within next few months to visit. I have to be within 2 hrs of Savannah due to job requirement. We have an office in Sav.
  • ronjsteele1
    ronjsteele1 Posts: 1,064 Member
    Options
    I'm not in SC but have moved around A LOT in my life. I've lived in 11 states. I always check out Citydata.com for information from local people in the areas in which I was looking to move. You can get a lot of information from the forums there! Good luck with your move!

I second citydata. It's a great site for finding out local info.
  • FAAB_life
    FAAB_life Posts: 5 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    kbmnurse wrote: »

"Live just on the other side of the border from Bluffton. It's beautiful but also getting built up in a way that is kinda destroying the whole reason people want to move out there to begin with. Cost of living is going up as more outside money moves in.

Do you have any names of towns I can research? We need to close to water.

[/quote]

I live in SC. Fripp Island, SC is my favorite place on Earth. Its a gated private residential Island. You will love it.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    If I didn't live in TN, SC would be my second choice. But in the north, western part. Columbia, I don't care for. I positively adore Charleston (no real beach to my standards the speak of, though). Hilton Head is fine, but remote. As is Edisto. Spend a great deal of time in Hory county (I get awesome sunset pictures in October and November). Surfside is less crowded in the summer. And of course, you'll discover that when you shop, you shop at Publix. People not from FL and other states where Publix exists just don't understand, but trust me. . . there's a perceptible difference.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    Options
    Timshel_ wrote: »
    I'm from SC. Blufton is a great little place. Close to Hilton Head.

Imma visit you soon. Hilton Head has an amazing tennis resort I am booking.

You can come play with me anytime. However, I am about 3hours north of Hilton Head.
    My invitation got lost in the mail, I guess. . . . :|