Zero Sugar Diet

Options
Hey all. Recently I read the Zero Sugar Diet book. It's basically eating fruits, veggies and whole grains. So only natural sugar for 14 days and then after that your food must have more fiber than sugar to eat it. I plan to stick with it as it is easy. Anyone else ever tried this? I hope it makes me feel good like they say.

Kels

Replies

• Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Since fruits and veggies have sugar, sometimes lots of it, and natural sugars are still sugar, I'm assuming this would be more aptly named the Zero Added Processed Sugar Diet. I do limit added sugar and eat high fiber, though I don't follow any prescribed plan. I think this keeps my waistline and colon happier.

Edit: I don't just eat plants though. I eat animal products too, so I guess maybe not so much like what you describe.
  • kelsberry92
    kelsberry92 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have said for added sugars, not natural. You are supposed to limit fruits though.
  • ABballet4227
    ABballet4227 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I simply avoid processes sugars in my day-to-day diet and don't think about it beyond that. I think maybe limiting all sugar is a bit extreme (I like sugar in my cupcakes) but a low sugar diet is defiantly good for you.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    I did it. It really helped me cut my sweet tooth significantly. I also lost a bunch of weigh as a side benefit since I wasn't shoving cookies, cupcakes, candy, and a ton of coffee creamer in my mouth all day long. I pretty much stick to the principles and make sure the fiber is higher than the added sugars and I've had continued success.

For several of the others here you are correct that the appropriate title should be "Zero Added Sugar Diet". The book is based on the new food labels that are supposed to say total sugar and then also show how much of the sugar is added and the fiber has to be higher than the added sugar. Animal products are not excluded she just didn't mention them. He encourages ALL fruits and veggies but also guides towards ones that have the most nutritional punch such as choosing raspberries over banana.
    It really is a lifestyle change and a sustainable one as he gives a HUGE list of products that are free from added sugars such as protein bars, certain protein powders, crackers, dressings, as well as how to enjoy alcohol while keeping added sugars in check and eat out. In all of his books (I did the Abs diet as well and still use some of the principles and recipes) he encourages small treats such as 70% dark chocolate and red wine as well as "cheat meals" to avoid deprivation.
  • starryphoenix
    starryphoenix Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    I am doing a low sugar diet. I've quit trying to do a no sugar diet. Anything with over 3 grams of added sugar is out. All natural sugar is in. Everyone is different, but I personally feel awesome doing this. I can't eat any candy or junk food as an added rule to make sure I don't get reckless.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I did it. It really helped me cut my sweet tooth significantly. I also lost a bunch of weigh as a side benefit since I wasn't shoving cookies, cupcakes, candy, and a ton of coffee creamer in my mouth all day long. I pretty much stick to the principles and make sure the fiber is higher than the added sugars and I've had continued success.

For several of the others here you are correct that the appropriate title should be "Zero Added Sugar Diet". The book is based on the new food labels that are supposed to say total sugar and then also show how much of the sugar is added and the fiber has to be higher than the added sugar. Animal products are not excluded she just didn't mention them. He encourages ALL fruits and veggies but also guides towards ones that have the most nutritional punch such as choosing raspberries over banana.
    It really is a lifestyle change and a sustainable one as he gives a HUGE list of products that are free from added sugars such as protein bars, certain protein powders, crackers, dressings, as well as how to enjoy alcohol while keeping added sugars in check and eat out. In all of his books (I did the Abs diet as well and still use some of the principles and recipes) he encourages small treats such as 70% dark chocolate and red wine as well as "cheat meals" to avoid deprivation.

I don't understand this. You both seem to be saying that it's NO added sugar and also sugar in general (from any food) must be lower than fiber, but as I pointed out that second rule eliminates basically all fruit and a whole lot of vegetables and some other healthy foods (like eggs, dairy).

I don't see the point. I limit "junk food" and rarely eat packaged products that include added sugar (other than a few things I know has plenty, like ice cream, which I simply eat in moderation), but sugar is in many many healthful foods, and its not bad just because there's more sugar than fiber. Sugar is not bad for you -- I actually like getting lots of sugar when it's from vegetables and some fruit, as it's a sign I'm eating the number of vegetables I like to be eating.

Oh, I should mention that sweet tooth wasn't my issue, but emotional eating (to some extent with sweet stuff, since it was often available) was, and for that I cut out added sugar entirely (and sometimes go back to it by cutting out sweets -- doing this as part of my Lent), so I get it being beneficial although I wouldn't do a special program for it or buy a book. I just don't see why one would cut out all foods with more sugar than fiber.

I also didn't find I felt differently than when just following a healthful, balanced diet or that it was impossible to do follow a good diet without cutting out added sugar.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    menotyou56 wrote: »
    Hey all. Recently I read the Zero Sugar Diet book. It's basically eating fruits, veggies and whole grains. So only natural sugar for 14 days and then after that your food must have more fiber than sugar to eat it. I plan to stick with it as it is easy. Anyone else ever tried this? I hope it makes me feel good like they say.

Kels

Zero Sugar Diet book. It's basically eating fruits...

Fruit is full of sugar? I'm confused....

How so?
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    Options
    I guess I should have said for added sugars, not natural. You are supposed to limit fruits though.

There is not really any difference between added sugars and natural sugars though.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,952 Member
    Options
    I've discovered that other people telling me what I can't eat doesn't work for me. I've decided I need to limit baked goods because they don't provide enough satiety.

I've found some trigger foods that I need to eliminate. These all do have added sugar, but are also high in fat.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    I have discovered that sugar (especially processed/added--baked goods, candy, etc.) tends to trigger my reflux, so I eat a lower sugar/low carb diet. However, I'd hate to rule out veggies based on sugar to fiber ratio. I don't eat a ton of fruit (about 1 serving a day and 4-5 of vegetables) but while I really minimize the added sugar and grains because of how they affect my body, I keep an eye on macros for the whole meal and the whole day rather than for an individual food.
  • janejellyroll
    janejellyroll Posts: 25,763 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    I've discovered that other people telling me what I can't eat doesn't work for me. I've decided I need to limit baked goods because they don't provide enough satiety.

I've found some trigger foods that I need to eliminate. These all do have added sugar, but are also high in fat.

I think there is a huge difference between learning the impact different foods have on our own energy, satiety, digestion, etc and avoiding/limiting them accordingly and adopting someone else's list.

The first is prudent behavior, I imagine it's practiced by most (if not all) people who manage to lose weight and successfully maintain it.

The second . . . I just don't see the point. Though if it works for someone, they should do it.