Starting out in the gym

Options
I'm thinking about starting to work out in the gym now that I have lost 20 lbs and have my eating under control. I have been walking but feel that I need to do more. The problem is I don't have a clue what to do when I get there. Just wondering what you all did just starting out at the gym? Any advice is appreciated. Would rather not go and make a complete fool out of myself lol.

Replies

• alyssa0061
    alyssa0061 Posts: 652 Member
    Options
    I hired a personal trainer for six - one hour sessions. It got me used to being there without feeling uncomfortable and taught me enough of a foundation to be able to go by myself. It was well worth the investment.
  • megan_elizabeth8
    megan_elizabeth8 Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I went with a friend the first time, and she introduced me to a few things until I was comfortable in the environment. After that I did a few sessions with a trainer to learn exercises and make sure I was doing then correctly. Definitely worth it as it gave me the confidence to keep going on my own! :smile:
  • JoJosAnatomymfp
    JoJosAnatomymfp Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    I'm new in the gym. I'm 70 days on mfp and I noticed the weight was going very quickly (2st 8lbs). I signed up with a PT to get me started with strength and conditioning training and to ensure I'm building muscle while losing weight (hopefully now at a slower pace). I could use the threadmill etc but I wouldn't have a clue with weights or some of the difficult looking machines. Anyways, I have done two PT sessions and gone through my plan and I did one day by myself. Its not so bad, bar a fight with a seated leg curl machine on the day I did myself, it isn't too bad. Maybe to get your confidence up, I would suggest you ask the gym staff to show you as part of induction or sign up with a PT. Best of luck to you and well done on your weight loss. It's fantastic.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    The personal trainer advise MIGHT be okay. If you can convince them you want to do conventional strength training. The PT's at my gym have everyone doing weird psuedo-crossfit rope whipping, kettlebell swinging, burpees & tire flipping. Uh, no. That really doesn't seem like what a beginner ought to be doing.
  • laxbballmom
    laxbballmom Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    If you have more than one gym available, I would recommend doing intro passes to different ones to get the right feel and fit. A lot of them have one week unlimited access for a small amount. That way you can see if it is good for you. Each gym can be different - some are very lifting focused, crossfit, classes etc. An app you may want to try is Mind Body. I use it for the facility that I go to and they have deals in the app based on your location. I used it to find a massage therapist after a half marathon in another city and was happy with it. Good luck!