edited September 30 in Health and Weight Loss
What do people think of juice "fasting?"

Replies

• taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    silly waste of time
  • ngilliam1
    ngilliam1 Posts: 14
    I will be starting one on Sunday, so, really hope it it a good thing!!:tongue:
  • Helice
    Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
    I think if theres a reason for it, then there isnt a problem.
    Your very, very overweight and it is dangerous!
    Your religion.
    Or to fix a view, or disorder you may have with eating.

But just to loose weight, i dont think its good, because when u come of this diet u will pile on the weight!

But each to there own!
    And if anything if i see someone do it i might be tempted to do it myself!
  • emmaleigh47
    emmaleigh47 Posts: 1,670 Member
    silly waste of time

^^^ This!
  • taso42_DELETED
    taso42_DELETED Posts: 3,394 Member
    How about a good clean food fast? Avoid garbage. Your body will be pleased....
  • chrisfnet
    chrisfnet Posts: 83
    I should have been much more specific with my question(s). I do not plan on following it for weight loss. I'm watching "Fat Sick and Nearly Dead" and the idea is intriguing.
  • ashleymmc20
    ashleymmc20 Posts: 39 Member
    I have done a juice fast before, for religious reasons. It really hurt my metabolism, and I couldn't believe that I had actually gained with it. When the fast was over and I began eating regularly again, my body held onto every crumb as if it were the last I was going to feed it. My metabolism refused to burn any of it, and it made losing weight very difficult... dare I even say impossible for a while.

I am a religious person, and fully believe in fasting if it is something someone feels like God is calling them to. But on my own? No. Never!
  • Cobain94
    Cobain94 Posts: 21
    I tried it for a month. It's hard to stick to, and you'll feel sick the first few days until you get used to it. You'll also miss solid food a lot, obviously :\
  • Saksgirl1
    Saksgirl1 Posts: 248
    I did a juice fast for a week a few months ago and I have to say that as much crap as my friends gave me about the dangers etc etc etc, I really felt GREAT! It gave me a ton of energy (after the first 3 days), and it definitely helped to uhm, remove unwanted toxins from the body? Anyway, I would definitely recommend it!!!

P.S. You only gain weight from it if you stick to ONLY fruit juices... those have a TON of sugar!
  • tameko2
    tameko2 Posts: 31,634 Member
    I was thinking about doing one this weekend so I read quite a bit about it but in the end I decided it didn't really make sense to just drink juice over doing something like eating very very healthy -- This weekend I'm going to be eating strawberries, blueberries, cucumber, broccoli, almonds, cashews, some quinoa, probably some rolled oats soaked in skim milk or almond milk, some red bell peppers, carrots, and juicing some apple/lemon/celery. If we are feeling hungry I'm going to go out and grab a little bit of lean meat but I'm otherwise not planning to have any for the next 2 days. Might change my mind.

I have fasted before on just water and a little juice (to fill hunger) and the thing that people like about fasting is that you get this kind of amazing GOOD feeling after a day or so. You feel light, thin, there's this really really good feeling of control (the kind that anorexics talk about enjoying, although obviously this does not make you an anorexic) and its generally just a really good feeling for a lot of people. I am someone who enjoys it, my SO does not particularly.

But the thing is, unless you're very careful the first day off the fast you will eat and eat and you will feel like CRAP afterwards. I'm not talking about emotional crap, I mean your body is kind of shocked.

So I don't think its going to hurt you if you are careful, but I really don't think there are any benefits that you wouldn't get by significantly increasing your fruit and vegetable intake - and eating the whole vege or fruit will give you more nutrients and fiber than juicing them will. That said I'm juicing my apples because I can't eat them raw.
  • milaxx
    milaxx Posts: 1,122 Member
    I juice and may drink a meal instead of eating, but never more than one meal a day. Today I juiced simply because I haven't had much of an appetite in the heat. I wouldn't do it every day though, it will make your sugar levels go up.

Just not a big fan of fast in general.
This discussion has been closed.