Really big people trying to get started on weight loss.

Options
2»

Replies

• KeriA
    KeriA Posts: 3,270 Member
    Options
    I thought I was 260 but my scale was wrong I was 255 when I started but it will take a while for me to lose what I need to. I am doing this slowly and healthily because I want to keep it off. The first thing you realize is the larger you are the more calories you can eat and still lose weight and the more calories you burn when you exercise so you can see results if you just start. No,, I know it isn't easy. You don't have to be perfect. Here are my top 3 rules for myself. 1. Don't give up. 2. Log 3. make some improvement every day or every week. Yes your food is the most important but exercise really helps. Another thing that some people forget to do is measure. When you aren't seeing it in the scales you usually see it in inches. I wasn't sure if I was going to add friends when I first started but I got into a group of those who needed to lose as much as I did and I started adding friends. They mean alot to me now. Welcome. Let us know if you need anything.
  • healthyjen342
    healthyjen342 Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    WELCOME! You're right...it is tough..I started this at 342 and very uneducated about fitness, nutrition and exercise...I learned a lot through research and talking with other people. My beginning suggestions would be to take it easy at first..see what you can do and whats a little more challenging...I started off walking half a mile..then progressed to a mile..and so on...I also simply reduced my food intake..I ate what I wanted, just actually measured it and ate less of it...

Good luck on your journey! I wish you great great success!!
  • binkybaby1
    binkybaby1 Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Welcome Welcome Welcome! this is a great site to help and support you. I agree with what many have said. Eating healthier and changing your diet slowly will help you stay on your path. Step 1 is to know you can do this and to know that nothing tastes as good as being healthy feels! Step 2 Remember this is a journey.... diets don't last.... living healthier does! Step 3 log everything you put in your mouth. At first you will be amazed at how many calories you consume in a day. This is very normal and will help you begin to set goals. I would log everything you eat for a week and see what your average calorie intake is then maybe set you goal at 25% less for the next week and so on until you get to the calorie intake that MFP recommends.

Remember A journey is a thousand steps that may take you a lifetime to travel! By taking your first step your journey has begun and its a journey that is worth traveling!! Add me as a friend if you like!
  • ckatastrophy
    ckatastrophy Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Hi! Just start.
    I started on here at 306.2lbs 6 weeks ago. I've lost 19lbs so far. I suggest getting on here every day, logging all your food & exercise (even if you go over your food calories), ask questions of your mfp friends when you need help/encouragement, try to make healthy food choices (you can find great ideas here), start walking or marching in place at least 10-30min each day, and think positive.
    Good luck with your goals! You can do it!
    =D
  • dnlg18652
    dnlg18652 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thank you I appriciate it.
  • dnlg18652
    Options
    Wow you are an inspiration thanks for the motivation.
  • dnlg18652
    Options
    Thanks for the post aqnd the motivation. I am excited and for the first 2 days this has been pretty easy... I know it won't stay that way.
  • dnlg18652
    Options
    Wow awsome!
  • dnlg18652
    Options
    Thanks for the advice.
  • dnlg18652
    Options
    Thanks Donna, That is great advice and I won't feel so silly.
  • justimogen
    justimogen Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm just about 2 months in and started at 318.4. Feel free to add me, if you'd like!
  • dnlg18652
    Options
    Wow congrats on your sucess! it is very motivational to hear real people's stories.
  • dnlg18652
    Options
    Wow what motivation.!
  • Normalg
    Normalg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Well I'm down 137 pounds and still weight 194, it's a new life style process. Choosing wisely daily and moving, not necessarily alot but more than you have been and just work your strength up everyday. You will feel better and feel stronger and definitely be healthier. This is agreat site and since I started my gym membership only for 20 ago I've gained a new respect to skinny people. I thought they were just skinny but some them actually work rather hard at it. They just don't lay around, they actually have to skip desserts and really exercise. Just fyi. I always assumed littlte petite people were just naturally that way but I have met women who know what I mean when you talk about passing up a dessert. GOOD LUCK and don't give up ever!!
  • dnlg18652
    Options
    I know how you feel... and I'll take all the help I can get. cause this is gonna be hard!
  • Normalg
    Normalg Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Philiipians 4:13 "I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me"
  • MisterDubs303
    MisterDubs303 Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    Everybody is saying the same thing, and I will repeat it. Just start. The first day is the hardest, and the second is even harder :wink: . But keep going. By the time you exercise consistently for a few weeks, it gets easier and easier and easier. It's hard to move when you are heavy, and even harder to be motivated to move, but when you do move, the pounds come off more quickly the heavier you are. This should be very motivating during the first few months... at least once you get going consistently.
  • annacataldo
    annacataldo Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    I started at 313.5 and i dont think it has been hard at all because mfp is so easy to use! Ive been here for a bit over 4 months, and have lost 50lbs... and I got here by diet alone; barely any excercise until the end of last month when i started with excercise too (had an injury where i couldnt start until I lost some weight).
  • dnlg18652
    Options
    Thank you for the inspiring post. it was really helpful
  • dnlg18652
    Options
    Amen with god nothing is impossible,.