Popcorn popped in Olive Oil

Options
How many calories do you think it REALLY is? I've seen so many different entries in the app from 100 calories to no joke... 5000 calories for 6 cups. lol .

Should I add the popcorn and oil separately? I used 1/4 cup of popcorn and 1/4 cup of oil but does all that oil actually get on the popcorn? the pan is greasy so obviously not all of it goes on the popcorn. I know I should make air popped but I just love the flavor of it in oil and then when it's just slightly burned...

I had 377 calories left for the day today, am hoping it wasn't more than that.

Replies

• JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    theres 400-500 calories in 1/4 cup of olive oil alone. Not that much is left you definatly went over without even including the popcorn
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I would count all the calories from the oil, it did not evaporate.
  • pendennis
    pendennis Posts: 117 Member
    Options
    Wow. Thats a high oil to corn ratio. I cook my popcorn in olive oil (butter infused) but I use a tablespoon, maybe 2, of olive oil to about 1/4 to 1/2 cup of corn. (Measuring like that keeps my oil super low and I then divide it up by the number of servings/cups of corn I just popped) I keep a super close eye on it and keep the pan moving until the popping stops. I personally top my corn with truffle salt....it's to die for B)
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Try an air popper. Easier clean up, less calories, less expensive.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Using that much oil, you can be sure that most of it gets on the corn. Everything that doesn't stick to the pan sticks to the corn.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    Options
    You might try using less oil, and spritzing it with oil afterwards. A spray will coat the kernels more evenly without the need for so much oil.

Fwiw I use a microwave popper and spray the inside before adding the corn. After it's popped I use the same spray on the popcorn, and salt it. I use an olive oil spray without propellant.
  • Hearts_2015
    Hearts_2015 Posts: 12,031 Member
    Options
    I buy popcorn in the bulk section since it's cheaper. I take a lunch bag size brown bag, add 1/4 cup popcorn then I fold over the top about a 1/2 inch then fold over again and put it in the microwave, I hit the popcorn button and wait until it slows popping (microwaves vary yadda yadda yadda as they say). Dump the bag into a bowl if you wish and spritz on some coconut oil or EVOO or you can eat it plain.

Quite tasty, only a bit of oil and simple! Sometimes I melt some butter if I've not used much fat that day.

Regarding 1/4 c popcorn & 1/4 oil? That's a huge amount of oil for just 1/4c of popcorn, the couple of times I've added 1T if that to my 1/4c in the microwave it's almost to much. Pretty much why I pop it without now.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    Weigh the pan, weigh the oil as you put it in, weigh the pan after emptying the popped popcorn from it, and the difference is the grams of oil on your popcorn. With that amount of oil, a lot is going to have transferred to the popcorn.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I weigh my kernels, and then measure the oil. This last weekend I had air popped in oil (have a nifty Amazon purchase for doing that in the microwave) and started w/ 50 grams kernels. Logged 40 as about 20% of them did not pop. 144 calories for 40 grams of kernels. Logged 2 tsp of popcorn oil @ 80 calories. I started with almost a tablespoon but some did stay in the bowl. 2/3 of it consumed, I felt, was reasonable but I also started with a smaller amount of oil. So figured worst case scenario if I was underestimating, it was only by 20 calories or so.

Starting with 1/4 cup oil? Much larger room for error.
    How many calories do you think it REALLY is? I've seen so many different entries in the app from 100 calories to no joke... 5000 calories for 6 cups. lol .

Should I add the popcorn and oil separately? I used 1/4 cup of popcorn and 1/4 cup of oil but does all that oil actually get on the popcorn? the pan is greasy so obviously not all of it goes on the popcorn. I know I should make air popped but I just love the flavor of it in oil and then when it's just slightly burned...

• bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

Why so much oil!? I use a brown paper lunch bag, put a 1/4 cup of kernels, and add a little less than a teaspoon of olive oil, or a tablespoon of butter instead and then fold the top over, and pop it in the microwave for two minutes and ten seconds, and it comes out super lovely every time. Each microwave is different, so just listen to how it's popping. I used to used a stove top popper and still only used a table spoon of olive oil per 1/4 cup.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I find stove-popped popcorn far superior to pre-bagged microwaved or air popped but only use 1 T of oil to 1/4 to 1/3 C of popcorn.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    Options
    bagge72 wrote: »

Why so much oil!? I use a brown paper lunch bag, put a 1/4 cup of kernels, and add a little less than a teaspoon of olive oil, or a tablespoon of butter instead and then fold the top over, and pop it in the microwave for two minutes and ten seconds, and it comes out super lovely every time. Each microwave is different, so just listen to how it's popping. I used to used a stove top popper and still only used a table spoon of olive oil per 1/4 cup.

I'm going to have to try this...next time I get a paper bag!
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Assume most is going to be on the popcorn. Its actually something *less* than all the oil, but it does not take much oil to coat the inside of a pan.

Oil-popped corn *is* so much better than dry air-popped stuff though! We do it for the kids' lunch snacks and it's delicious. You need to share a batch with someone else though.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

That's a lot of oil. I do the microwave popcorn thing (not a paper bag.....never gotten a good result). But I use a microwaveable bowl (a paper bag absorbs most of the oil anyway)......and add just 1 teaspoon of oil.

http://lifehacker.com/5970874/microwave-popcorn-in-a-bowl-and-plate-to-reduce-unpopped-kernels
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    Options
    I pop popcorn in a Whirly Pop with about a tsp of oil to 1/4 cup popcorn if I don't buy it pre-popped in a bag (which I do quite often because it's easy and fairly cheap!).
  • drawaimfire
    drawaimfire Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    Damn, that ratio would be ridiculously delicious though! I also oil pop on the stove, for a personal popcorn for one, I use 2 Tablespoons of kernels, to 1 tablespoon of an oil of my choice. Then salt the ever living heck out of it lol. I probably like the salt a tad more than the oil :#

Entered in it totals at:

193 cals

14.2 fat nom nom nom
    14.7 carbs
    2.7 protein

No complaints!

Good luck
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    When I do oil popped popcorn, I do 50-60 g kernels with about a teaspoon of coconut oil. Much less oil than what you used, fats are pretty calorie dense. Lately I've been doing air popped and topping with a tablespoon of butter. A few more calories, but I fit it in, because I need my fresh popcorn.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    Weigh the unpopped kernels, measure the oil, add together and divide by number of servings
  • sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    Options
    This is what I use to make an individual serving of popcorn:https://www.amazon.com/Microwave-Popcorn-Popper-Silicone-4-Cups/dp/B00U67HYY2

I use 28g of Orville Redenbacher's kernels which is about 150 calories and then I log my additions separately. You can drizzle a few tsp of olive oil on your popcorn, shake it around for even distribution.
  • dfwesq
    dfwesq Posts: 592 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    This is what I use to make an individual serving of popcorn:https://www.amazon.com/Microwave-Popcorn-Popper-Silicone-4-Cups/dp/B00U67HYY2
    I use one that looks like this. It's easy to clean and store. Doesn't require much oil to pop the popcorn in - I just spray a little into the container before adding the kernels.
    https://www.amazon.com/Nordic-Ware-Microwave-Popcorn-Popper/dp/B00004W4UP/ref=sr_1_7?s=home-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1491597622&sr=1-7&keywords=microwave+popper