5K tomorrow... and fitness progress!

Options
I am running a 5K tomorrow, I am really excited! :happy:

It's funny how excited I am, because I've run in much longer races, like marathons and half marathons. But I always plodded along and now I've been working on my speed and on eating better and I just feel like I have increased my fitness level so much. This will be the first race I've run in quite awhile and it will give me a good time to work off of for the rest of the year. I am hoping to come in in under 27 minutes, which is an 8:41 mile pace.

Last week my co-workers and I went skiing and it was my first time skiing this season. I was doing moguls on black diamond slopes all day and I didn't even feel very tired! Most of the rest of my co-workers were really tired and quit early but I wanted to just keep going and going. I was remembering last year, when I went skiing almost every weekend but I would get so tired and sore and I would quit early. Not this year! I felt like superwoman and I realized how my fitness level has progressed in just a few short weeks of really working at it. (Of course, the next day I was so sore all over, almost post-marathon sore! So I guess I worked out on the slopes harder than I thought!)

Another thing I've noticed is my heart rate on the treadmill... when I started training for my 5K a few weeks ago, my heartrate would be up to 178 at a 9:45 pace. Now, at that same pace, my heart rate is 164. It only gets up to the 170's when I'm doing speed work and when I get down to an 8:30 pace or below.

It's awesome to mark my progress in these ways and I am so glad I found MFP. Thanks to all of you who have inspired me! :flowerforyou:

Replies

• neeterskeeter
    neeterskeeter Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I am running a 5K tomorrow, I am really excited! :happy:

It's funny how excited I am, because I've run in much longer races, like marathons and half marathons. But I always plodded along and now I've been working on my speed and on eating better and I just feel like I have increased my fitness level so much. This will be the first race I've run in quite awhile and it will give me a good time to work off of for the rest of the year. I am hoping to come in in under 27 minutes, which is an 8:41 mile pace.

Last week my co-workers and I went skiing and it was my first time skiing this season. I was doing moguls on black diamond slopes all day and I didn't even feel very tired! Most of the rest of my co-workers were really tired and quit early but I wanted to just keep going and going. I was remembering last year, when I went skiing almost every weekend but I would get so tired and sore and I would quit early. Not this year! I felt like superwoman and I realized how my fitness level has progressed in just a few short weeks of really working at it. (Of course, the next day I was so sore all over, almost post-marathon sore! So I guess I worked out on the slopes harder than I thought!)

Another thing I've noticed is my heart rate on the treadmill... when I started training for my 5K a few weeks ago, my heartrate would be up to 178 at a 9:45 pace. Now, at that same pace, my heart rate is 164. It only gets up to the 170's when I'm doing speed work and when I get down to an 8:30 pace or below.

It's awesome to mark my progress in these ways and I am so glad I found MFP. Thanks to all of you who have inspired me! :flowerforyou:
  • ElusiveButterfly
    Options
    wishing you the best in your run, *S*

is that a Rottweiller that you are hugging in the picture?
    if so,, i have two.. they are sooo loving,*S*

ElusiveButterfly
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Yep, they told me when I adopted her (she was actually my foster but I ended up adopting her because she was just too cool) that she's half german shepherd, half rottie. I also think she has some doberman in her! Her name is Venus and her middle name's Mara because she's my marathon training partner. ;)

Whatever she is, she's a huge loveable mutt, and I love rotties too! :) That's awesome that you have two!
  • runnerdad
    runnerdad Posts: 2,081 Member
    Options
    Good luck with your 5K!:drinker:
    Many people would consider a marathon or 1/2M an ultimate goal, but congratulations to you for having the insight to realize the benefit of setting new goals at shorter distance. it will make you a stronger, faster runner.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks runnerdad. I figure I would rather train well for and conquer a 5K than just "survive" a longer race. I've always had ability to run for a long time so now I just want to get faster. After I get my 5K down to an 8:30 pace I am going to start training for a 10K. Then when I've got *that* down to 8:30 (which will be hard, because I'm naturally kind of slow), I'll do a half. I think I am pretty much done with marathons unless I really feel a spurt coming on LOL.

Do you run races? What kinds? Thanks for the support!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    Great!!!!! :drinker: Good luck!!! I am training for the Susan G Komen 5K in April. I have not done one in a while now. My husband is also wanting to get in shape again to run a few 5K's this year. Please let us know how you did!!! :flowerforyou:
  • LisaZaugg1976
    LisaZaugg1976 Posts: 1,144 Member
    Options
    I would love to do one sometime how long would you say takes to train for one?
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    good luck neeter.

People underestimate 5K's, they use them to train for 10K's when really, they are a different race with a totally different mindset. I love 5K's cuz I get bored with anything over 5 miles (Plus my knees aren't really all that great these days). I love that you can do them in under 1/2 an hour (faster for some of us). I love them because you can break down your gait into 3 really simple parts, I.E. the start (don't burn out, find your pace and keep it for the first 1.5 miles), the middle (settling in, maybe slowing just a little to get ready for the big push, about 1.25 miles), and the finish (KICK that last 1/4 mile hard!); I also love them because at the end, after you catch your breath, you still have about 20 minutes worth of crazy adrenaline coursing through your body. I don't get that in 10K's I just feel ... DONE after them.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    I would love to do one sometime how long would you say takes to train for one?

depends on your current fitness level. If you can run 3 miles now, then you can run one immediately. But if you can't go here and do the couch to 5K program
    http://www.coolrunning.com/engine/2/2_3/181.shtml

great program, works for almost anyone who is in reasonable health.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Yes, lisarillen, I was going to point you to the same program that SHboss did, the coach to 5k, if you're new to running. Also Hal Higdon's website has a good 5K program for beginners: http://www.halhigdon.com/5K Training/5-Knovice.htm
    It takes two months for the Hal Higdon one.

SHBoss, I agree with you about 5Ks being a good distance to conquer. :smile: Although I also like longer distances.
  • runnerdad
    Options
    Thanks runnerdad. I figure I would rather train well for and conquer a 5K than just "survive" a longer race. I've always had ability to run for a long time so now I just want to get faster. After I get my 5K down to an 8:30 pace I am going to start training for a 10K. Then when I've got *that* down to 8:30 (which will be hard, because I'm naturally kind of slow), I'll do a half. I think I am pretty much done with marathons unless I really feel a spurt coming on LOL.

Do you run races? What kinds? Thanks for the support!
    I run mostly for fitness, but I schedule races to give focus to my training schedule - 5k to marathons. Right now I have a 5K in two weeks if I can swing it with kid's schedules, and just signed up for a challange series in four weeks, a 5K and a 15K on the Saturday, and 1/2 marathon on the Sunday.
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    That's awesome, runnerdad. I'd like to continue entering more races.

Just an update to everyone -- I finished the race in 26:55. So, under 27 minutes, just like I had hoped. :smile:

It felt really great to acheive this goal and I am confident that I can continue getting faster. Thanks to everyone for your encouragement!!
  • alf1163
    alf1163 Posts: 3,143 Member
    Options
    That is great!!! :drinker: :drinker: I was wondering how you did. Congratulations!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • RunningSteph
    Options
    Good luck!!!
  • runnerdad
    Options
    Just an update to everyone -- I finished the race in 26:55. So, under 27 minutes, just like I had hoped. :smile:

Good job!!:drinker: :drinker: :drinker:
  • neeterskeeter
    Options
    Thanks Alf. Good luck with yours in April! :) My boyfriend and I are going to run a Shamrock Shuffle 5K in March around St. Patrick's Day. So that's the next one on my list and I'm hoping my time will keep getting faster. I've been working in Jillian Michael's Making the Cut workouts so I haven't been able to run as much as I was, but if I can find the time I'd like to do *both* the strength training and the mileage.

Thanks runnerdad. :smile: My dad's a runner too BTW and a huge inspiration to me.