Need Help / Ideas on addictions.

Options
Helice
Helice Posts: 1,075 Member
Need Help / Ideas on DEALING WITH addictions..
Sorry should of put that in the title..

Ok so about 2 years ago i use to smoke.
and one day my fiance said that he couldn't stand it when i smoked and that it made him sad.
so after alot of discussions and arguments.
i quit cold turkey. One day it was just ok il do this for you. And i just quit..

Problem is, is over the 2 years the craving for a *kitten* (cigarette), hasn't gone away.
And it even got so bad a couple of weeks ago that i was trying to convince my fiance to let me get an electronic cigarette.

But i seem to have found something that helped.
Cups of tea's...
I'v alwasy drunk alot of tea. (Teabag in, then out. Milk and sugar).
But recently iv become addicted to cups of tea.
and they were really helping with the cravings.
It gave my mouth something to do, it gave my hands something to do.
And after a sip your like "ahh thats better", the same with when u smoke..

But now i dont no if it's such a good thing..
Its currently 04:00am and im dieing for a cup of tea. But theres no milk,. And i can't have tea without milk.
And im being really angry because i cant have one!!
Im getting really stressed, and im munching and uhhhh!!
I need a cup of tea!!

I dont no what i can do?
Im addicted to cups of tea's!
And now when i can't have one i become aggressive and hostile like i do when i need a *kitten*.

Does anyone no what i can do to stop this feeling i have?

Any help will be grately appreciated.
Thnx.

Replies

• treeman821
    treeman821 Posts: 20
    Options
    This may sound crazy but it does work for me. Anytime I have a craving for food I brush my teeth, after u brush ur teeth nothing tastes good after that. I've heard cravings only last 5-10 mins, just keep fighting those cravings. Also chewing gum will help and just keep your mind occupied..
  • bcrugbygirl
    bcrugbygirl Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    my grandpa has been a non smoker for like 70 years and I quit a couple years ago and he said to me no matter how much time passes he still wants a cigarette but its choosing that it isnt what you want. Maybe if you feel like a smoke or a cup of tea and there isnt milk so for a walk throw on the ipod and blare some pumping music and hit the ground <3 that way if the miilk isnt there for the tea then you can have a back up exercise <3 ( your lungs will thank you now that your a non smoker <3)
  • jinkies54
    jinkies54 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Addictions are horribly tricky. Chemically speaking, you substituted one chemical for another and now will have withdrawal symptoms for that one. Unfortunately, discomfort and cravings are things that one must experience when trying to lessen their addiction. I know you may have tried this, but one strategy people have been counselled to do is distraction. Tea is essentially a form of caffiene so headaches, feeling jittery, agitated, etc., can be expected and one way to focus your attention elsewhere is to do something, anything (hopefully not addictive) that will take your mind off of the cravings.

I know it's probably not as serious so I don't wish to minimize your sufferings, but I am addicted to certain foods. Research has shown that starches (like breads and sugars) react in our neural pathways similar to heroin. When I had to start a new metabolic routine I was told no starches and that's like telling a fish not to swim. When my cravings came, I excericsed. Even a walk. Put my music on and let it all out in the walk/rollerblade, or hell, even sometimes I just sleep. It will get better if you hang in there.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    That is one addiction I am having a hard time quitting so I know where you are coming from. My husband stopped cold turkey now uses sugar free gum instead. I have to figure something out cause I need to quit myself. Good luck!
  • Unknown
    Options
    I used to be addicted to cappachinos and hot chocolate. I would drink 4 cups a day. I know it's not like *kitten*, but it was hard for me not to crave it at 4 in the morning. So I switched to gum. It kept my mouth busy chewing and blowing bubbles and it did not cross my mind that I wanted cappachinos or hot chocolate. It's still an addiction, but at least it's a healhy one that will not hurt us or cause us to become overweight. And there are so many different kinds of low sugar/no sugar gum flavors out there to choose from! My mom switched to gum after quiting smoking cold turkey and never picked up another cigerette for almost 9 years now(after 20 years of smoking!) So i know it works. Also, if you likget a craving at 4 in the morning again, try drinking a glass of water. If it doesn't go away, try writing or drawing. Keeping your mind occupied truly works! Hope this helps, good luck =]
  • melizerd
    melizerd Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I know how you feel. I quit smoking 6 years ago (next month) and honestly there are STILL times where I'm dying for one.

Also there's no such thing as giving up an addiction, we just replace one with another, the trick is to find a healthy alternative (or at least not horrible one).

At this point it might be worth it to try something like hypnosis to help, speak with a doctor etc. Find something that healthy and manageable to deal with.

For me to quit smoking I had to drastically change my behaviors and routine to break the cycle in my head, I changed my morning routine, chew gum in the car, etc.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Oh. I thought you were looking for suggestions of things to become addicted to.

I'm sorry.
  • Helice
    Options
    I noticed that alot of people are suggesting gum.
    I did try this one.
    But by the end of the day my chaw was so sore that it hurt to just talk.
    And yawning became excruciating!
    Not doing that again. =/
  • bvalosek
    bvalosek Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    It's okay, you seem British, and british people drink tea all the time.

Americans are the same, except instead of tea it's hamburgers

nothing to worry about m8
  • KeepOnMoving
    KeepOnMoving Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    Does nicotine gum help? Just wondering.

I know people say to "stay busy" but when you sit behind a desk all day at work and you are suppose to concentrate because that is your job, its hard to not think about cravings cause your bored. For me diet soda is my addiction. It does not cause me to gain weight and I have lost weight on it. But it burns my esophagus because I drink so much of it at work. Its my coffee and my sweet tooth to prevent snacking when I am not hungry. I have to take anti-acid medicine everyday or give up diet colas. Its hard decision but I need to make my mind up as I am afraid of getting esophageal cancer.
  • Helice
    Options
    @ KeepOnMoving

I tryed nicotine gum once but it tastes AWFUL.
    and the nicotine it gave me was so small it was like i was stood next to someone smoking trying to singe their smoke.
    it just made me need a *kitten* more. =/

and the problem is atm, isnt that i need a *kitten* (because iv learned to live with that feeling).
    its that i need a cup of tea, but cant have one, This is a craving i haven't experienced before and its making me go nuts. =[

• brian01bwa
    Options
    I quit smoking when I was on an annual tour with the Air Force Reserves on assignment in England. I found that being away from my normal routine really helped me to quit during that time. I also started jogging daily in England which inspired me to be healthy and not light up. That was about 20 years ago. As time goes by it gets easier and you will not miss it at all at some point. To break the tea habit try to take it one day or hour at a time. Switch to decaf or green tea. Picking up a new hobby could help.

I believe that addictive behavior, generally speaking, is a symptom of work that we need to do on ourselves. It could be stress management, or working on past issues. One of the fastest ways to transformation is through meditation. Dr Daniel Amen, a leading brain scientist, listed meditation right up with psychotherapy as a proven scientific way to transformation which can give you more control over bad habits and thinking. Physical exercise and yoga are very helpful as well.

Good luck.
  • Helice
    Options
    It's okay, you seem British, and british people drink tea all the time.

Americans are the same, except instead of tea it's hamburgers

nothing to worry about m8

im not entirely sure if this is true.
    but iv never seen or heard of someone from wales, scotland or ireland having a cup of tea before.
    They obviously do, but like once a week.
    I mean im assuming i don't know for sure..
    Thinks its primarily an english thing! lol.
  • Heather75
    Heather75 Posts: 3,386 Member
    Options
    Scottish, Irish and Welsh people drink a lot of tea, too.
  • Nycgirl1979
    Nycgirl1979 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Good idea :)
  • ApproachingDusk
    Options
    I know that addiction feeling, but sadly mine was for Diet Coke and not smokes. I say sadly since it wasn't until senior year in highschool that I actually willingly drank water.

So two years ago when I gave up caffeine completely (no soda, no tea) I started drinking water when that craving came. I probably drank 2+ gallons a day when it was the worst. I eventually stopped craving it, and my water drinking leveled out. I know its not the same as smokes but I think the triggers can be the same. Addictions suck, try replacing it with water instead!