Pre-workout snack?

Options
yay or nay?

Replies

• brant710
    brant710 Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what others say to this as well. I work out at 5am and it's really hard to eat anything before that.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Probably not really necessary if you're getting adequate nutrition and calories throughout the day...that said, I don't really know the context of your question.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    I hit a protein/casein shake and a couple of apples before lifting. However, I get to the gym between 4:00-4:30 am, so yeah, I've not eaten since the night before.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I say yes, but it depends on the person. On Thursdays I take a 5:30AM Body Pump class. The 1st time I did it, I didn't eat and I almost had to leave the class because I was on the verge of vomiting. The next time I had a slice of wheat toast w/ a bit of peanut butter and I was fine. However, I will say that I'm a morning eater. I'm always ravenous when I wake up and have to eat breakfast immediately. During Body PUmp mornings I'll have a hardboiled egg or a banana or peanut butter toast on the way to the gym.
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I've been swimming at lunchtime lately and I eat an apple before I go. I come back and eat the rest of my lunch.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    It certainly doesn't hurt anything if you do have one. Whether you actually need one depends on the intensity and duration of your workout. Personally, I often come home from work and workout before supper, but I'm so hungry that I'll eat a banana or something before I start. This morning I went for a bicycle ride and stopped for breakfast about 10 miles into it. The only thing I had had up to that point was a couple of cups of coffee and two or three swigs of Gatorade.
  • suzannephillips76
    suzannephillips76 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on what type of workout you're doing. Fasted cardio (max 45 mins) is a great start to the day of you're looking to torch fat but I wouldn't imagine it's realistic to expect to do a heavy weights session on an empty stomach. A lot depends on whether you need to eat to get your motor started each day.

I chug a bullet coffee before a morning cardio session which gets me pumped then eat a high carb breakfast with some good protein and fats afterwards and REALLY enjoy my meal
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Most workouts just fit in my day and normal eating schedule.

Two hour cycle rides and upwards I will normally have something carby beforehand but that's frequently just breakfast or lunch.

You have loads of fuel on-board anyway (glycogen & fat) so it's more a preference than a need until you get to very long duration.
  • TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    On Mon, Wed, and Thu, I usually lift after work. Since it's been a few hours since lunch, I usually eat a protein bar before.

On Sun, I lift before breakfast. Sometimes, I eat a protein bar before. Sometimes, I don't - depends on how I feel.

I probably don't really need it, but it helps keep me from getting hunger pangs and/or cranky while lifting.
  • margaretrican
    margaretrican Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Yay, if you need it. I sometimes need it but I do wait about 45 minutes to then workout after I eat because I do Cross-fit and I end up feeling nauseous when I push hard. I also will do protein shake instead of a snack.
  • wellthenwhat
    wellthenwhat Posts: 526 Member
    Options
    Nope. I workout straight out of bed. About 3 hours later I have my coffee, then I might have a snack 2 hours after that. My main food doesn't normally happen until shortly after noon, small lunch, after noon snack, then I eat more in the evening.
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Big yay for me. I need fuel before I lift. But not a huge meal that makes me feel bloated.
  • alathIN
    alathIN Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Depends on your goal and the type of exercise.
    Most aerobic exercise (ie below lactate threshold) can be done fasting. Doing some of your exercise fasting can help with fat loss.
    If your pre-workout snack is primarily carbohydrate your body will preferentially use carbohydrate to fuel that activity. This can make it harder to lose fat.
    If you are doing over threshold exercise (such as sprinting, VO2 max work, etc) your performance may suffer if you are fasting or carb depleted. But being carb depleted is a great way to make your body metabolize fat.

So if you are at or near your desired body composition and you are primarily concerned with improving performance, fuel up pre (and likely post) workout, especially for any work over threshold, or work > 60-90 min.
    If your main goal is to lose fat, try fasting workouts, fasting recovery, and/or non-carb fueling.
  • ocrXfitter
    ocrXfitter Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I can't eat before lifting or running or I will throw up. Been there, done that. I go at 4:45 am.
  • maddiemadkins
    maddiemadkins Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I'd say it depends on what type of workout you're doing. Fasted cardio (max 45 mins) is a great start to the day of you're looking to torch fat but I wouldn't imagine it's realistic to expect to do a heavy weights session on an empty stomach. A lot depends on whether you need to eat to get your motor started each day.

I chug a bullet coffee before a morning cardio session which gets me pumped then eat a high carb breakfast with some good protein and fats afterwards and REALLY enjoy my meal

What benefits have you noticed from the bullet coffee? I read about it last yr on social media, but i've never tried...
  • maddiemadkins
    maddiemadkins Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Probably not really necessary if you're getting adequate nutrition and calories throughout the day...that said, I don't really know the context of your question.

I'm wondering if a pre-workout snack helps with energy during a strenuous workout.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Why not just try it for yourself? If it helps, keep doing it. If it doesn't, then don't.
  • pcc0001
    pcc0001 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    A banana or 1 piece of TOAST with peanut butter
  • Jthanmyfitnesspal
    Jthanmyfitnesspal Posts: 3,521 Member
    Options
    I can add that it depends on your goals and your workout. I have read studies showing that fasting exercise in the morning promotes weight loss. This has limits. Once the glycogen is gone, the workout is over! So, if you're​ planning an all-day bike ride, I suggest eating before (and during)!