Getting sleepy after working out?

Options
RCKT82
RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
I've noticed I get really sleepy after I get home from the gym.... I'm not tired like "working out; my muscles are tired", it's more of a sleepy I want to go to bed tired...

I'm thinking maybe it's a has a little to do with my body cooling down when I get home to a nice A/C cooled home, sort of like how you feel worn out after laying in the hot sun at the beach all day and immediately crash after you get home....

....and maybe also a little with immediately chugging a whole warm glass of one of my protein shake (I don't like using chilled water) when I get home... so it's kind of like people drinking warm milk before bed back in the day...

I'm curious if anyone else experiences this feeling?

Replies

• Kelly_Wilson1990
    Kelly_Wilson1990 Posts: 3,245 Member
    Options
    Try having some protein right after you workout. I get in my car and drink the protein before I leave the parking lot of the gym. I do it everyday after working out and it has really helped me.
  • hikeout470
    hikeout470 Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    Today that is exactly what I did. After my first day of interval training at the gym on the treadmill, I came home, ate lunch and sat down to watch a show to cool off before mowing the yard. I dozed off for almost an hour! Now up and feeling great! I was hoping it was just the new moved working on my body. I am definitely not sleep deprived.
  • LJCDuke11
    LJCDuke11 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I get like that too.... about an 1hour to 1.5 hours after I run or go to the gym or something! Sometimes I'll be getting into a really good workout and I'll yawn...??? has anyone experienced that? It's like my brain is ready to go! and my muscle are feeling a burn and then I'll yawn!?? It's the strangest thing!?!?!?
  • dasskinny
    dasskinny Posts: 56
    Options
    im sleepy right now and i just got home from doing an hour and half of cardio, i had a protein shake at the gym and just ate a spinach salad and i can totally pass out right now???
  • RCKT82
    RCKT82 Posts: 409 Member
    Options
    I get like that too.... about an 1hour to 1.5 hours after I run or go to the gym or something! Sometimes I'll be getting into a really good workout and I'll yawn...??? has anyone experienced that? It's like my brain is ready to go! and my muscle are feeling a burn and then I'll yawn!?? It's the strangest thing!?!?!?

YEEESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!
    I do that all the time!!!! Pisses off my trainer, and he thinks I'm not working hard enough, so he'll push me even harder! lmao!!! I'm happy to hear someone else does it too!
  • justimogen
    justimogen Posts: 76
    Options
    I'm glad you brought this up. Thank you!

It happens to me, too. I can be WIDE awake before working out. Afterward, I get so sleepy my eyes sometimes burn. I typically work out around 5-7PM and it's often a struggle just to stay awake to get my normal nightly things done.
  • RhonndaJ
    RhonndaJ Posts: 1,615 Member
    Options
    Not that I have a comment on the working out, just reading, but there is some belief that one of the reasons we yawn is to get more oxygen into the system, which might well explain yawning during work outs. Just a thought.
  • jayb0ne
    jayb0ne Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I totally get this. I start to yawn mid workout.

Made me think of a documentary spot I watched on the BBC not long back though. Apparently, when you're hot and your body cools, the cooling effect makes you sleepy through some hormonal reaction. So a shower or bath before bed helps you sleep due to the cooling down effect as you lie on the bed. A mug of hot cocoa before bed helps you sleep as your body cools afterwards. In fact - according to this research - the worst thing you can do when trying to sleep is wrap yourself in a duvet.

Maybe that has some effect on us?
  • crackerjack345
    crackerjack345 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Yeah, I totally get this. I start to yawn mid workout.

Made me think of a documentary spot I watched on the BBC not long back though. Apparently, when you're hot and your body cools, the cooling effect makes you sleepy through some hormonal reaction. So a shower or bath before bed helps you sleep due to the cooling down effect as you lie on the bed. A mug of hot cocoa before bed helps you sleep as your body cools afterwards. In fact - according to this research - the worst thing you can do when trying to sleep is wrap yourself in a duvet.

Maybe that has some effect on us?

That's interesting, because although I don't get sleepy, I do get FREEZING cold after a hard workout. The only thing that helps is a hot shower. I wonder if it's the same thing, my body just responds in a slightly different way????