Do workout videos/DVDs really work?

Options
I'm moving in August to the desert from a place that isn't nearly as hot. I'm used to running quite a bit, but I don't think I'll be doing much of that when it's 100+ degrees outside. I'm looking into buying a couple of workout videos in the hope that I can take care of some cardio while inside the a/c (I should add that I don't have the money to join a gym right now--otherwise, I would). So my question to you all is: do you really get a workout from the DVDs? Any specific ones I should look out for (I'm an intermediate exerciser)?

Thanks so much!

Replies

• isys5
    isys5 Posts: 213
    Options
    Heck yes, try TurboFire, same high as running but way more fun. I used to run and never seemed to lose the weight but loved the runner's high. With TurboFire you get the high as well as the toning and all from a DVD (well as set of them) and you get fit way faster than anything else I have tried. And ahem, I have tried alot of workouts :)
  • purnurple
    purnurple Posts: 102
    Options
    i love the 10 minute workout vidoes espcially the dance mix one. i watch it on netlix.com
  • kaelialyssa
    kaelialyssa Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I've tried P90X and they have worked for me! I have lots of friends that have tried the Insanity ones too and they swear by them. Good luck!
  • vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    Options
    Oh yeah.. definitely. The hardest ones I've done was p90x, although I only completed 3 weeks of it because I got sick of hearing Tony's voice everyday xD

Try beachbody.com or the 30 day shred. I promise you will get a good workout from them. If you're looking to REALLY build muscle, I'd recommend p90 or p90x. Even though I only did it for 3 weeks (the lean program) my running results improved SO much. I was basically sprinting 5 km & felt awesome.
  • SarahAlt
    SarahAlt Posts: 44
    Options
    I actually ordered a Gold's Gym step for step aerobics that came with a routine on DVD that's pretty great. It does toning as well as cardio and you can easily adjust the routine to your level. I love it. The step and dvd came together... ordered it on walmart online for about 30 bucks.... did site to store.
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Yeah i workout in my living room. Zumba, pilates, 30 day shred, ripped in 30.. pretty much anything works if you do it.
  • cherylwhite
    cherylwhite Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michael's No More Trouble Zones. I stopped doing it for about a month and then did it again this week. I was really sore. For an average work out person like me, it is a great work out.
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    I love Jillian Michaels.. all of her DVD's are awesome. I have nearly all of them and just pick whichever one I'm in the mood for that day. Plus it's good on days I don't feel like going to the gym or if it's raining outside. My favourites would be Banish Fat Boost Metabolism (cardio) and No More Trouble Zones (Strength training). 30 Day Shred, Ripped in 30, and 6 Week Six Pack are good 30 minute ones when I want a quick workout!
  • Annie5859
    Annie5859 Posts: 280 Member
    Options
    Most definitely! I like all the Jillian Michaels, dvds but I also just go to my local library and take a variety out. I had a friend who did P90X and she had phenomenal results.
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Wow! Thanks so much, everyone! I'll definitely have to try all of your suggestions. Keep em coming! :-)
  • DakotaKeogh
    DakotaKeogh Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I think it works for some people and not for others. Initially I found them educational in terms of having someone talk about proper form and movement, so I know now how to do things for their full benefit. But, honestly, the fifth time the kettlebell workout guy said "Do you feel the burn?" I almost threw it though my television. LOL. Really if you google workout videos there are so many online, give it a try that way before you spend money.
  • JazzyDiva
    JazzyDiva Posts: 7
    Options
    I honestly enjoy the Walk at Home series of DVD's with Leslie Sansome. Yes! I get a reallygood work-out walking 2, 3,4, or 5 miles with Leslie. I am losing weight and sweating throughout the workout!
    url=http://www.myfitnesspal.com/weight-loss-ticker]8791982.png[/url]
    Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Nutrition Facts For Foods
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    <
    P90X proof it works!
  • crystalslight
    crystalslight Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    Yes. If you use them. I'm just finishing up the 30 Day Shred. I've gotten pretty good results. I'm gonna be starting Insanity soon. As long as your consistent, you should see results.
  • roylawrence87
    roylawrence87 Posts: 970 Member
    Options
    <
    P90X proof it works!

Me too.
  • dakuma21
    dakuma21 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I used P90X while I was at a military school since the gym was a mess. Its great and you can add and mix things up once you finish. I rotate it into my workouts every few months depending if I'm cutting or lifting heavy for gains now. What ever you choose though, you get out of it what you put into it, so do your best and than push yourself past that.
  • AliDarling
    AliDarling Posts: 373
    Options
    yes, as long as you follow them and diet as well. at my biggest i was 230, and i used the debbie sieber slim in 6 work out dvd, and in 6 months i lost 24 lbs and 40 inches. then i got pregnant 3 months later. but they work :)
  • JustBreathe418
    JustBreathe418 Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    Another vote for Jillian Michaels! Her workouts really kick your butt and I definitely see results! I've done her 30 day shred and am currently doing Ripped in 30. I also have her Banish Fat Boost Metabolism workout and No More Trouble Zones. I tried all of these workouts on netflix first before I bought them, but one of the great things about her dvds is that they are very affordable!
  • spaingirl2011
    spaingirl2011 Posts: 763 Member
    Options
    Thanks again, everyone!
  • AZackery
    AZackery Posts: 2,035 Member
    Options
    Yes workouts videos work. My favorite number one workout is Tae Bo. I'm doing a 90 day program called Supreme 90 Day. It's a good program.

I'm a firm believer in working a workout and never let a workout work you.

Results don't come from a workout, it comes from the person.