How to reduce sodium intake?

Options
I ate what I thought was healthy today but I ended up double my sodium, 200 calories over, and here I am at midnight starving!!! I really need help with eating.

How do you reduce your sodium intake?

HOw do you find time to cook at home every day?

Does your body adjust to eating less calories, or should you eat when your belly growls?

Any hints....any thing..............I'm struggling here.

Replies

• Egger29
    Egger29 Posts: 14,741 Member
    Options
    Short answer....stop eating salt.
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    Sodium is my big hurdle too. Even when I think I'm eating well, I'm high in sodium. Things like spinach and celery are over 100mg of sodium per cup. Basically I just try and cook everything from whole foods ( this is a work in progress and doesn't always happen) and buying reduced sodium or no salt added products ( like diced tomatoes, and chicken stock) when im making sauces and soups.

As for finding the time, I'm a stay at home mom so it's basically my job. I don't find though that it takes a whole lot longer to make my own spaghetti sauce then it would be to whip up a package of sidekicks. Also you can make it in huge amounts and it stays good in the freezer for a long time. I also find having the vegggies and stuff pre cut in Tupperware in the fridge really cuts down a lot of prep time.

ETA - I also find when I plan my meals ahead of time ( usually the night before) and I know what we're having that it's easier for me to get it ready and doesn't take as much time planning if I have to go to the store or defrost anything.
  • Rompa_87
    Rompa_87 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Basically minimise preserved food. Ideally cut out anything take away (even sandwhiches) and avoid anything from a can or package. Easier said than done.

I'm always over my salt but given it is always warm and I sweat a lot I tend not to worry
  • nitamo
    nitamo Posts: 64
    Options
    I've been having problems with the sodium as well. My levels were going crazy. I finally figured out that if I eat more fresh vegetables and less processed foods I can keep those sodium levels at around the 800 mark; pretty awesome considering they had been reaching almost 3000 on some days. Also, I eat my three main meals each day but then I add two or three snacks of either yogurt, fruit, veggies, or a chewy granola bar. I had actually hit a pretty long plateau where I wasn't losing anything and then about a week ago I decided to do the fruits and veggies with lean chicken and fish for lunch and dinner. I've been losing a steady pound a day since I started on that. I feel great and I have so much more energy. Good luck and don't get discouraged.
  • derynb
    derynb Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Steer clear of as much processed food as possible as these are always high in sodium, never add salt to any food or cooking, you will be surprised how quickly your tastebuds adjust to no salt. As for the hunger, make sure you eat often, say every 3 hours even if small amounts and eat protein high foods to fill you up for longer, eg: chicken, tuna, lean beef, maybe a low fat protein shake in the afternoon, try having low fat yoghurt an hour after your evening meal and if you eat regularly then you should never feel hungry but if you do, have a glass of water, you will be amazed at what a difference that can make....good luck.
  • MelissaFourness
    Options
    I have high blood pressure and have been following a low-sodium diet the last almost 3 years. The easiest way to cut sodium is to make sure you are eating fresh foods with no preservatives. Read your nutrition labels. Sometimes manufacturers will add sodium to food when it's totally unnecessary (like chicken... a plain boneless skinless hunk of chicken breast could be anywhere between 45mg and 375mg depending on if it's "extra tender"... and all that means is they've injected it with a sodium solution). Stay away from pre-packaged and processed food as much as possible. Use Mrs. Dash or No-Salt seasonings. Watch your bread and dairy consumption since those tend to be higher in sodium. Also, I love my soda so I switched to a no-sodium, no-calorie pop which made a big difference.

I don't like to cook every day (because I'm lazy). I usually pick one day to do as much cooking as possible so then I just have to reheat stuff and do minimal cooking the rest of the week. It's a pain, but the more you cook the more control you have over what's being put into your food.

Also, I think the best rule of thumb is: eat when you're hungry (you're tummy will tell you) and then stop when you're full. Don't feel pressured to eat just because it's the conventional time of day to eat or eat as much as what ends up on your plate.

For late night snacking I usually try to stick to fruit or nuts. :)
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Without being able to see your food diary, my best guess would be limiting your processed food intake. Basically, try to use less processed food, and cook/prepare at home where you have control of the "extras" you add.

For example, purchasing preseasoned chicken seems like a good idea, especially when it is advertised as "healthy". And, yes, the chicken itself is healthy, however the marinade or seasoning may contain much more salt than required. Instead, purchase raw, "regular" (no additive) chicken breasts, and find a lower sodium marinade either to make or one available commercially, where you can control the amount of the marinade that you actually use, as well as, to a point, the salt content.

As for feeling full, try higher fiber options. Fiber keeps you fuller, longer, so that may help with the hunger.

If you don't have time to cook every day, try setting aside some time on a day where you "have" the time, and either pre prepping or cooking and freezing meals ahead of time so that it will be faster to prepare. There are a lot of soups that you can make "in bulk" and freeze, for example. On those really hectic days, try something quick, like a salad. Add lots of veggies, like shredded carrots, spinach, cucumber, bell peppers, tomatoes, etc, and use a light, "calorie wise" dressing. You can have as much of that as you would want, and it is filling, without being high in calories, and is VERY healthy. If you want to ensure you get some protein in it, add some slivered almonds or other nuts.

Finally, drink water. All day. Carry a bottle, keep refilling it. Drink whenever you feel hungry in between, and it should take the edge off the hunger pangs.

You can do this! Good luck!
  • SaraWojcik19
    SaraWojcik19 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    so what alternatives do you guys use for lunch meat? this was a big surprise to me as I thought I was buying the higher quality, healtheri version (at $10/lb). I buy the Boar's Head Cracked Pepper Trukey because me son loves it and refuses to eat much else. And what about rice??? Obviously stuff like Zattarain's is high sodium, so what do you use instead - bagged rice, barley, what???

I think I need to meet with a nutritionist. I am get so overwhelmed when trying to figure out meals that are healthy.
  • Atlantique
    Atlantique Posts: 2,484 Member
    Options
    so what alternatives do you guys use for lunch meat? this was a big surprise to me as I thought I was buying the higher quality, healtheri version (at $10/lb). I buy the Boar's Head Cracked Pepper Trukey because me son loves it and refuses to eat much else. And what about rice??? Obviously stuff like Zattarain's is high sodium, so what do you use instead - bagged rice, barley, what???

I think I need to meet with a nutritionist. I am get so overwhelmed when trying to figure out meals that are healthy.

Don't try to tackle everything at once. It's very easy to become overwhelmed that way! Instead, I'd suggest trying to work on one goal for a few weeks and then another as the first one becomes a habit.

Lunchmeats are very high in sodium, yes. You can substitute chicken breasts, or any meat that you cook and slice yourself. Sounds like a turkey breast would work well for your son and then you just cook and slice it yourself.

Condiments, jarred sauces and canned soups and anything that comes out of a bag, box or can (i.e. processed foods) are high in sodium.

Yes, for rice you can just buy regular old rice and cook it yourself. I prefer brown rice.

If you can get into the habit of preparing multiple portions at once, it's a lot easier. So make a big pot of rice and cook several chicken breasts at once. Then you can store them in single serving sizes for use during the week. It's been a lifesaver for me to do that so that I can have a decent meal ready to go within a few minutes of walking in the door while only really "cooking" once a week.
  • Mommyof3loves
    Options
    Wherever you get your cold cuts from ask them if they have a reduced sodium kind. As for rice, I buy the success brand of the white, brown and jasmine and having it plain there is no sodium in it at all. It's the added stuff that gives it the sodium.
  • SabrinaG1986
    SabrinaG1986 Posts: 135 Member
    Options
    I usually roast a turkey or chicken breast chop it up and freeze it, or do it when i have left overs so that when i want a sandwich for lunch the next day all i do is pull it out of the freezer. As for rice, I use either brown rice, or white rice from a bag and cook it in the rice cooker. I stopped using instant or any kind of pre-seasoned packaged rice.
  • SaraWojcik19
    SaraWojcik19 Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    i know i'm whining here, but it seems like so much effort to plan these healtier meals. once you guys got into the habit of it, does it seem less intimidating? it just seems so dang time consuming and i don't want food to consume me even more than it does now. does that make sense? i need an easy plan and all of this healthy eating seems so hard. <frustrated>
  • kiwi1855
    kiwi1855 Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    i know i'm whining here, but it seems like so much effort to plan these healtier meals. once you guys got into the habit of it, does it seem less intimidating? it just seems so dang time consuming and i don't want food to consume me even more than it does now. does that make sense? i need an easy plan and all of this healthy eating seems so hard. <frustrated>

Nothing worthwhile is ever easy or free. After you get a routine going, it will get easier. If you want this enough, you will make time. If you aren't at that point yet that you want this enough to make the changes that seem daunting or hard, then this will not work.

Fad diets and easy fixes are short term, short lived solutions. The reason that people using this community (MFP) are having the success they are is that they are willing to put more effort into doing what is going to help them for the long haul.

Is it going to be easy? No. Is it going to be failure free? No. Everyone has good days and bad days. What will work, and ensure that you stay healthy and reach your goals is putting the time and effort into developing habits and behaviors that will benefit you, and help you along your way to your goal.

Plan a week ahead. Make a grocery list. Only buy what is on the list. Read the ingredients on everything you buy, and find the best option at the store. Walk through the store with purpose to get a bit more exercise. Try to stay to the outside of the store (fresh produce, meats, dairy and bread are usually laid out on the outer ring of the store), as the processed crap is in the middle aisles. Are there processed foods that are healthy? Yes. But they are usually expensive and don't taste as good as if you buy fresh and cook at home.

Set aside a prep time. Precook and freeze what you can, and then reheat it the day of.

If you want this enough, you can find the time and willpower to do this.

(Side note, I'm sorry if this sounds harsh, I really am. But it is something that I feel very strongly. I have friends that I was the same size as 6 months ago, and the only difference is that they said "This is too hard" and quit. I dug in my heels, grit my teeth, found the time, and am now down 75lbs. I am probably one of the laziest people in the world. I HATE veggies. But I HATE being obese MORE, so I keep going.)