First time cutting!

Options
Hey everyone!
So a year ago, I started bulking. m068n9blwhwz.jpg
3udfwhdinf2f.jpg
woaz0lwmnwlq.jpg
Unfortunately my bulk went TOO well and now I'm just fat. I currently weigh 250 lbs and it's taking a toll on my health. I developed sleep apnea (according to my doctor). My problem is that I've never experienced such a tough obstacle before and I know that I've gotten so deep into this bulking phase that eating large quantities of food has basically just transitioned into a normal meal. I also struggle with late night "snacks". All I need to know, is how am I going to do this without makeup by myself miserable in the process?
Thanks!

Replies

• wholenewme03
    wholenewme03 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What if you just eat the same things but less, and fill in the extra "bulk" that your stomach is used to with veggies? Please don't give up the food you like, it's the worst. Looks like you already work out a ton too!
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,943 Member
    Options
    Just eat at a deficit. When you say you started out intending to bulk, did you follow a progressive overload program?

But regardless, put your stats in here, follow what it tells you, focus on protein and a nutrient rich diet but make room for the things you like too.

Spoiler alert: you don't have to be miserable to cut but you do have to accept it won't always be easy.

I am in agreement with this.

Eat what you like now, just less of it. Also, make sure you have a progressive wight lifting program so that you maintain muscle mass as you cut.

Lesson learned: you now know that this last bulk method was not the best program for you because you did not get the results you wanted.
  • edwardblancojr
    edwardblancojr Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I'll try my very best to keep this updated with my physique over time. Thanks everybody!
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    Also its wise to never bulk more than 7 months.
  • edwardblancojr
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    Also its wise to never bulk more than 7 months.

I'll keep that in mind
  • antdelsa
    antdelsa Posts: 174 Member
    Options
    antdelsa wrote: »
    It's not about eating what you like man, don't listen to that garbage, you're trying to cut. You want to get ripped so get disciplined and follow a strict nutrition plan, slowly cut cals and get your macros in check, if you're lifting make sure you get enoufh carbs , keep fats low and proteins high, increase cardio and continue to put in the work at the gym. NO ONE has ever cut by eating what they want just a little less of it lol get prepared for eggs oatmeal chicken rice veggies, keep it simple and routine, food is fuel not something that makes you happy and feel good, your body, your health and accomplishing your goals is what will make you happy and feel good. Have your cheat meal but remember moderation and keep your goal in your mind, when you want that good food that you know is bad for you ask yourself if its worth not hitting your goal, is it worth the setback, is it worth throwing away that intense workout you just did at the gym, look in the mirror and see if eating that is going to make you feel better about looking in the mirror. Discipline, consistency, and hard work man ..you got this!!!!

Ummm. I'm offended - you didn't include me in your survey of everyone who has cut. Or my husband. I eat loads of vegies, and eggs, but rarely rice or chicken, and literally never Oats. Stop making gross accusations when you have no idea.

My definition of cut is in a different context... OP knows what i mean ... didn't mean to offend you the comment was for the person who posted, if the advice i posted doesn't apply to you disregard it, no need to be offended or that emotionally invested
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's not about eating what you like man, don't listen to that garbage, you're trying to cut. You want to get ripped so get disciplined and follow a strict nutrition plan, slowly cut cals and get your macros in check, if you're lifting make sure you get enoufh carbs , keep fats low and proteins high, increase cardio and continue to put in the work at the gym. NO ONE has ever cut by eating what they want just a little less of it lol get prepared for eggs oatmeal chicken rice veggies, keep it simple and routine, food is fuel not something that makes you happy and feel good, your body, your health and accomplishing your goals is what will make you happy and feel good. Have your cheat meal but remember moderation and keep your goal in your mind, when you want that good food that you know is bad for you ask yourself if its worth not hitting your goal, is it worth the setback, is it worth throwing away that intense workout you just did at the gym, look in the mirror and see if eating that is going to make you feel better about looking in the mirror. Discipline, consistency, and hard work man ..you got this!!!!

None of that really matters when cutting other than keeping protein high and keep lifting to preserve lean mass. Discipline and consistency do matter but eating the way you view as necessary is not. Calories are king whether you're cutting 10lbs or 100lbs.

And food sure does make me feel good and it fuels me and it plays a role in my health. Making arbitrary rules about low fat (fat is essential for nutrient absorption and hormone function), labelling some foods as bad (pretty much all food has a nutritional value), saying you need to eat the same things all the time, only eat chicken and rice. I'm sorry but that's the bro diet.

And look around you, there are plenty of pretty serious lifters here who bulk and cut regularly, when they cut, they do eat what they like. That doesn't mean as much and as often as they like but they make room for it within their calories. Because calories.
  • antdelsa
    Options

None of that really matters when cutting other than keeping protein high and keep lifting to preserve lean mass. Discipline and consistency do matter but eating the way you view as necessary is not. Calories are king whether you're cutting 10lbs or 100lbs.

And food sure does make me feel good and it fuels me and it plays a role in my health. Making arbitrary rules about low fat (fat is essential for nutrient absorption and hormone function), labelling some foods as bad (pretty much all food has a nutritional value), saying you need to eat the same things all the time, only eat chicken and rice. I'm sorry but that's the bro diet.

And look around you, there are plenty of pretty serious lifters here who bulk and cut regularly, when they cut, they do eat what they like. That doesn't mean as much and as often as they like but they make room for it within their calories. Because calories.

Low fat in a cut isn't arbitrary, i didn't say no fat i said keep fats low at this point while he has a bunch if stored energy the excessive fats are unnecessary his body is storing enough.... and I'm sorry but the harsh reality is no bodybuilder cuts by eating what they want just a little less of it, i take that as eat whatever trash food you've been eating that made you hold all the fat just a little less and you'll be fine, this is terrible advice for someone who is bodybuilding and wanting to get lean. A bodybuilders cut diet is monotonous and its very much the hardest part of the process. No successful bodybuilder has achieved a great aesthetic by not following a strict nutrition plan on a cut i don't care what any random person in here says they've done or do lol bulking yes you have a little more freedom but cutting... no way, not if you want to be successful, and bro diet or not its a proven method and works despite how you want to label it there's a reason its a staple in bodybuilding and has been for years and years, the more consistent and routine the diet is the easier it is to adhere to over time, it becomes second nature and not a chore, you already know what you need to prep and when to eat amd how much, it takes a little work out of the process, his goals are obviously to build muscle and get lean he slipped up and over ate for too long now he wants to correct this and drop weight, saying oh just do what you've been doing but just dial it back is not good advice, he needs to correct his bad habits and change his relationship with food, again discipline, will power, and consistency are what he needs, not some sugar coated spare my feelings no shame because I'm trying my best type of garbage. Nothing about this is easy so no one should expect this easy type of approach, it sucks cutting ask anyone who competes or does this seriously, cutting is terrible but when you want it that bad you'll suck it up and reap the benefits for the sacrifices you made while you did it ... too many people in these forums beat around the bush and sugar coat stuff as to not make someone feel bad, its such an unrealistic childish approach, he got fat thats the reality, now its time to suck it up and put in that hard work to achieve his goal.
  • antdelsa
    Options

I'm sorry but the harsh reality is no bodybuilder cuts by eating what they want just a little less of it, i take that as eat whatever trash food you've been eating that made you hold all the fat just a little less and you'll be fine, this is terrible advice for someone who is bodybuilding and wanting to get lean. A bodybuilders cut diet is monotonous and its very much the hardest part of the process. No successful bodybuilder has achieved a great aesthetic by not following a strict nutrition plan on a cut i don't care what any random person in here says they've done or do lol bulking yes you have a little more freedom but cutting... no way, not if you want to be successful, and bro diet or not its a proven method and works despite how you want to label it there's a reason its a staple in bodybuilding and has been for years and years, the more consistent and routine the diet is the easier it is to adhere to over time, it becomes second nature and not a chore, you already know what you need to prep and when to eat amd how much, it takes a little work out of the process

Again, stop with the generalisations. Just because you do it that way doesn't mean it's the only way.

I find dieting for comps easy. I have a strict diet, but not a restricted diet. You couldn't pay me to prep on an old school diet - to me it's completely unnecessary and leads to health problems and nutrient deficiencies

Unless you're running aas or something like clen or winstrol I'm not buying the whole contest prep is easy bit and even on cycle its not easy... such bullsh!t... not one person I've ever talked to who has placed in a contest am or pro has ever said prep is easy, its literally draining and one of the most taxing parts of the process and sport, for someone who is cutting for the first time why wouldn't it be beneficial to start with the old school approach? Start with the basics as most of us have and then once he learns how his body responds he can make adjustments and ease up a little, seriously to say its ok for him to continue his bad habits just as long as he dials it back a bit is ridiculous when his goals are that of a bodybuilder, hes not just looking to drop a few pounds he needs to cut atleast 10% bf and thats just to get to a solid starting point, after that its going to get tougher. Lets not sugat coat this, you may cut on a less restrictive diet but thats because I'm going to assume you have experience, you know as well as i do its not as simple as just doing a little less than what he's been doing, why beat around the bush about it, instead of preparing him for the hard road ahead, its achievable definitely achievable but lets not make it seem like its going to be easy. There's levels to it and you know that, if he wants serious results then he has to get serious plain and simple
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,752 Member
    Options

I'm sorry but the harsh reality is no bodybuilder cuts by eating what they want just a little less of it, i take that as eat whatever trash food you've been eating that made you hold all the fat just a little less and you'll be fine, this is terrible advice for someone who is bodybuilding and wanting to get lean. A bodybuilders cut diet is monotonous and its very much the hardest part of the process. No successful bodybuilder has achieved a great aesthetic by not following a strict nutrition plan on a cut i don't care what any random person in here says they've done or do lol bulking yes you have a little more freedom but cutting... no way, not if you want to be successful, and bro diet or not its a proven method and works despite how you want to label it there's a reason its a staple in bodybuilding and has been for years and years, the more consistent and routine the diet is the easier it is to adhere to over time, it becomes second nature and not a chore, you already know what you need to prep and when to eat amd how much, it takes a little work out of the process

Again, stop with the generalisations. Just because you do it that way doesn't mean it's the only way.

I find dieting for comps easy. I have a strict diet, but not a restricted diet. You couldn't pay me to prep on an old school diet - to me it's completely unnecessary and leads to health problems and nutrient deficiencies

Unless you're running aas or something like clen or winstrol I'm not buying the whole contest prep is easy bit and even on cycle its not easy... such bullsh!t... not one person I've ever talked to who has placed in a contest am or pro has ever said prep is easy, its literally draining and one of the most taxing parts of the process and sport, for someone who is cutting for the first time why wouldn't it be beneficial to start with the old school approach? Start with the basics as most of us have and then once he learns how his body responds he can make adjustments and ease up a little, seriously to say its ok for him to continue his bad habits just as long as he dials it back a bit is ridiculous when his goals are that of a bodybuilder, hes not just looking to drop a few pounds he needs to cut atleast 10% bf and thats just to get to a solid starting point, after that its going to get tougher. Lets not sugat coat this, you may cut on a less restrictive diet but thats because I'm going to assume you have experience, you know as well as i do its not as simple as just doing a little less than what he's been doing, why beat around the bush about it, instead of preparing him for the hard road ahead, its achievable definitely achievable but lets not make it seem like its going to be easy. There's levels to it and you know that, if he wants serious results then he has to get serious plain and simple

When did I say prep was easy? I said I find the dieting part easy. (and I'm completely natural, for the record)

I would never recommend the old school diet for anyone. Because it's unnecessary. Youre making assumptions as to how the OP put his weight in in the first place. You don't know what he has been eating. He needs to lose fat, yes - don't make it harder than it needs to be by pushing your ideas on to him, because what you're suggesting is exactly what he doesn't want... Or did you miss the bit about not wanting to be miserable in the process?

• antdelsa
    Options

When did I say prep was easy? I said I find the dieting part easy. (and I'm completely natural, for the record)

I would never recommend the old school diet for anyone. Because it's unnecessary. Youre making assumptions as to how the OP put his weight in in the first place. You don't know what he has been eating. He needs to lose fat, yes - don't make it harder than it needs to be by pushing your ideas on to him, because what you're suggesting is exactly what he doesn't want... Or did you miss the bit about not wanting to be miserable in the process?

I didn't miss that part which is why I'm stressing the fact that its going to be hard, the old school approach is tried and true, its the most basic way to approach cutting, easy no not at all but i think its just confusing when people suggest that he eats the way he wants but just dial it back, i have to assume he wasn't eating right simply by his bf% so obviously there's an issue, with that said he looks young and is still building a base he still has plenty of muscle gains to make and can achieve this with a solid workout plan, but to cut down to see where he is is going to take some serious effort, from his post i gathered he is looking for an easy way that won't suck and I'm just trying to drive home that this does not exist.

And i thats my mistake then i took the diet is easy part as you saying the entire cut process is easy, and yes if you're experienced its going to be easier and easier with each cut, but think about your first cut, seriously truthfully and honestly tell me it wasn't bad, it sucks until you get to know your body and get to a very manageable weight, when you bulk you're not throwing on 50lbs then trying to cut that i have to imagine you stay within a fairly reasonable range to your comp weight year round so cutting that last bit at the end isn't as strenuous, he's in a totally different boat, this is the first after gaining a bunch of weight, its going to be a pain... quite honestly I'd jusy increase cardio get macros dialed in at a small deficit and not worry about a serious cut, he can drop bf and continue to build lean mass which will inturn help in the weight loss, once he drops to maybe 15-17% then thats when I'd really start a serious cut .. that's the easier way, longer process but less miserable and taxing
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    -Protein = 1g/lb of LBM
    -Small calorie deficit (500 cals daily)
    -Lift weights
  • edwardblancojr
    Options

Low fat in a cut isn't arbitrary, i didn't say no fat i said keep fats low at this point while he has a bunch if stored energy the excessive fats are unnecessary his body is storing enough.... and I'm sorry but the harsh reality is no bodybuilder cuts by eating what they want just a little less of it, i take that as eat whatever trash food you've been eating that made you hold all the fat just a little less and you'll be fine, this is terrible advice for someone who is bodybuilding and wanting to get lean. A bodybuilders cut diet is monotonous and its very much the hardest part of the process. No successful bodybuilder has achieved a great aesthetic by not following a strict nutrition plan on a cut i don't care what any random person in here says they've done or do lol bulking yes you have a little more freedom but cutting... no way, not if you want to be successful, and bro diet or not its a proven method and works despite how you want to label it there's a reason its a staple in bodybuilding and has been for years and years, the more consistent and routine the diet is the easier it is to adhere to over time, it becomes second nature and not a chore, you already know what you need to prep and when to eat amd how much, it takes a little work out of the process, his goals are obviously to build muscle and get lean he slipped up and over ate for too long now he wants to correct this and drop weight, saying oh just do what you've been doing but just dial it back is not good advice, he needs to correct his bad habits and change his relationship with food, again discipline, will power, and consistency are what he needs, not some sugar coated spare my feelings no shame because I'm trying my best type of garbage. Nothing about this is easy so no one should expect this easy type of approach, it sucks cutting ask anyone who competes or does this seriously, cutting is terrible but when you want it that bad you'll suck it up and reap the benefits for the sacrifices you made while you did it ... too many people in these forums beat around the bush and sugar coat stuff as to not make someone feel bad, its such an unrealistic childish approach, he got fat thats the reality, now its time to suck it up and put in that hard work to achieve his goal.

After a week of trying just the calorie deficit method, I think it's safe to say that I do in fact need to realign my relationship with food. I find myself craving for certain foods and it has become so taxing on me that I end up binging. I am willing to go on the more tough, disciplinary diet, but the question I now have is how do I prepare for this? Because I can't just hop on a diet and expect it to work. Like I said this is my first time losing a serious amount of weight. About 60 lbs to be exact. How should I approach this newfound journey I have ahead of me?