Uh oh! Slip up big time. What to do?

Options
So I was well on track for my food today. And then I ate ice cream (not just one bowl, but two!) and had some cookies and some triscuts and some dried pineapple, probably putting me 500-700 calories over my limit (the first bowl of ice cream was within my calorie limit for the day). Should I really stress about this? I feel like stressing will just make me want to eat more! Lol! Is there anything I can really do?

Replies

• kayleeblue
    kayleeblue Posts: 273
    Options
    learn by our mistakes..you could do a little work out to help balance it out.. or you could just enjoy what you had and not do the same thing again..either way, good luck.
  • rharris86dc
    rharris86dc Posts: 635 Member
    Options
    Don't stress out! Just wake up tomorrow and be more mindful of your choices, and maybe throw in some extra cardio. Or not. Sometimes, a splurge day can be good for the soul =)
  • vulrich93
    vulrich93 Posts: 99
    Options
    Forget about it. It's only little slip up, and as long as you don't do it every day, it won't affect you in the long run. Just remember that you enjoyed it. Tomorrow is a new day with new beginnings :)
  • Victoriaaah
    Options
    Go out for a short workout or walk. :) Maybe tomorrow you could budget your dessert for something a little higher in calories and supplement it with some fruit? Good Luck!
  • sarahliftsUP
    sarahliftsUP Posts: 752 Member
    Options
    It happens! Don't stress out.. but try to think about why you did eat all that extra food. Were you hungry, bored, stressed, tired, lonely, etc? Then find a substitution next time so you don't turn to food.. unless you were actually hungry!
  • hwjssc
    hwjssc Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    tomorrow is a new day=)
  • mendogirl
    mendogirl Posts: 87
    Options
    do some quick situps & push ups. jog in place. it makes me feel better.
    tomorrow is a new day my friend :)
  • ChantalGG
    ChantalGG Posts: 2,404 Member
    Options
    Just try not to do that again. :S You can have all that stuff but just not all at once. :)
  • shydaisi
    shydaisi Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    Work in an extra exercise session! :o) Do NOT stress about it. Even if you do not work out to counter balance the extra calories, just start over again tomorrow! Today is only a "failure" if you let it derail your entire lifestyle change. You CAN do this!
  • cat3nv
    cat3nv Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    One day at a time. We did not get overweight in one day so we can change everything in one day. Acknowledge your mistake and move forward. If you stress over it all day and night you will do more harm than good.

Good luck!
  • JoanWill
    JoanWill Posts: 217
    Options
    I was the same way today. It happened at lunch. Ate my kids' leftover pizza. I logged it alright. And I was aware I did wrong. I posted it just to hear myself out.

In the past, this would be the time when I just throw in the towel and just continue eating. But I didn't this time. I still logged my intake, suck the guilt and now I feel better. I know tomorrow everything resets, I just have to learn from my mistakes.
  • jamielise2
    jamielise2 Posts: 432 Member
    Options
    Everyone has bad days. If it's an option, head to the gym and "pay" for those calories. If not, start again tomorrow. I had a week of uh oh that turned into Oh well while traveling and at my grandparent's funerals. Just regrouping and starting fresh.
  • JJHudgens
    JJHudgens Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I've had two bad days...well over my calories. But you know what? I feel a bit guilty, yes-- and feel as if I should do some major cardio right now....BUT, not going to worry about it too much. It is so RARE that I allow myself that, that I think it'll be fine. As long as it doesn't become habit. ;) Forgive yourself, you're human. Plus an off day, helps restart a metabolism sometimes! ;) As all others have said, tomorrow is a new day!! Thank God! :)
  • WWJD0214
    WWJD0214 Posts: 8
    Options
    I went over board with Wings and Onion Wings compliments of hubby so I felt guilty got did the Wii Fit and Zumba for Wii for total of 55 minutes and brought me back to range for my calories can't say it was easy doing it but felt so much better. We can't focus on our mistakes just learn and move on or we are setting ourself up for failure. Good Luck!
  • SageLikeTheSpice
    SageLikeTheSpice Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Honestly, don't stress about it. Occasionally we need cheat days or meals or even just snacks to keep our sanity. If nothing else, you're keeping your metabolism on its toes.

It's good to remember that this is a long-term journey, and tomorrow's weight isn't really that important, so if you have a tiny spike in weight from one bad day, it's okay because you'll be eating healthy again and your body will be fine in the long-run. It's easy to focus on the day-to-day with MFP, but it's okay if you go over your goal. That's all it is, a goal.
  • judz46
    judz46 Posts: 359 Member
    Options
    We all have cheat days and the zig zag diet actually recommends going over one day and under the next so as to trick your body.
  • zundelag
    zundelag Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    Stress and guilt will only make it worse. I'm sure it doesn't happen all the time. This time you repent, resolve to do better and do it. Have you considered a day a week or every couple of weeks, where you can let yourself cheat? Not outrageously, but just a couple hundred calories over your normal budget? It might help you have better control on your "good" days when you know you have a "cheat" day coming.